C&D takes Mazda crossovers to the Canadian Arctic Circle

Ha, I dont think anyone has a gravel proof windshield! I wish though we tend to get a lot of pits and chips around here. Sisters Jeep just got a crack.

I find it a little strange that Mazda (via reviewers) keeps arranging all of these winter driving exhibitions. Must be responding to some kind of marketing analysis.

I think its because people think Subaru when they think of AWD. They want to get it out there that Mazdas AWD is just as good.

I havent seen the other automakers going to these locations. Mazda is doing things different and I applaud them for that.

I haven*t seen the other automakers going to these locations. Mazda is doing things different and I applaud them for that.

For sure. It's easy to promote good handling on clean, dry roads. When a reviewer/reporter sits in the car and drives it in adverse conditions, I feel like their feedback is more relatable to the general public than skidpad numbers and fancy acronyms. Reviewers and reporters can then associate the tech and paper stats (GVC, etc.) with their driving experience, which again, makes it easier for readers to comprehend thanks to their writing skill.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a25728682/mazda-crossover-arctic-adventure/

Interesting read. Has very little about how the cars handled etc. More like a story.
And they had to replace windshields on all the Mazdas �������� due to the bad windshields Mazda keeps using. God made Mazdas for California and Texas.

Fixed it for you. FYI, the Safelite in my Mazda has now made it 3x as long as any other windshield I've had in it.

OTOH, when they offer the mags a free junket to the Arctic Circle, it's a slam dunk feature article, and plenty of free publicity.

I dunno go to any brand car forum and people say their windshields suck. And replacements all over the map too. I think its just luck or lack thereof. If you get hit with a big rock and your going fast........ none of them are immune.

The guy who did my tint was telling me about this film you can add thats supposed to protect against chips. But it cost as much as the windshield. [emoji23]

Fixed it for you. FYI, the Safelite in my Mazda has now made it 3x as long as any other windshield I've had in it.

There's definitely some improvement that can be made to the glass Mazda uses. The thick acoustic glass used in my car is nice, but it's already had a couple of tiny chips repaired and it scratches incredibly easy (compared to the IS250, Accord, and Civic that I owned/drove before this).

Interesting read indeed. Pretty good publicity for the folks that look at winter driving as the most challenging task they'll do on their yearly drive.

I find it a little strange that Mazda (via reviewers) keeps arranging all of these winter driving exhibitions. Must be responding to some kind of marketing analysis.
Especially when the one last month was meant to introduce the turbo engine to an existing design that's largely unchanged otherwise. In a place where you can't really test the additional HP/torque/speed. Just a weird decision. I kept checking YouTube for reviews of the 2019 with turbo but all of them were puttering around up in the deep snow and on most of them you could tell the reviewers were puzzled and frustrated too. It's nice it can handle some snow, but I don't have any snow and I want to know how the turbo is different. I ended up finding one at a dealer eventually, test drove it, and bought one, but I don't know what Mazda was thinking. At the very least they should have had a second test site in dry conditions.

Especially when the one last month was meant to introduce the turbo engine to an existing design that's largely unchanged otherwise. In a place where you can't really test the additional HP/torque/speed. Just a weird decision. I kept checking YouTube for reviews of the 2019 with turbo but all of them were puttering around up in the deep snow and on most of them you could tell the reviewers were puzzled and frustrated too. It's nice it can handle some snow, but I don't have any snow and I want to know how the turbo is different. I ended up finding one at a dealer eventually, test drove it, and bought one, but I don't know what Mazda was thinking. At the very least they should have had a second test site in dry conditions.

I do recall Dave Coleman indicating in one of the videos that the improved G-vectoring was what Mazda was most proud of for 2019 (more so than the turbo), so maybe thats why? But only makes sense if the new GV improves the AWD control, which Im not sure about.

I do recall Dave Coleman indicating in one of the videos that the improved G-vectoring was what Mazda was most proud of for 2019 (more so than the turbo), so maybe thats why? But only makes sense if the new GV improves the AWD control, which Im not sure about.

Its not really specific to AWD though. And snow also isnt a good place to highlight that anyway. Still odd imo.

For most buyers of a vehicle like this, winter driving is only a small part of their utilization. Why does Mazda not hold any press events in fair weather environments so we can see how the turbo version performs in EVERYDAY DRIVING? The vehicle has been on the market more than a month, yet not a single review on paved roads in fair weather. I test drove the vehicle and I was impressed with it but I still want to see acceleration, braking, and handling testing to compare with other vehicles and I want to hear reviewers impressions of how well it handles daily driver duties. The unavailability of the vehicle in to the press in a normal environment makes me feel like Mazda is hiding something.

I would say thats reading way too much into it.

And anyway didnt Car and Driver test in normal conditions?

For most buyers of a vehicle like this, winter driving is only a small part of their utilization. Why does Mazda not hold any press events in fair weather environments so we can see how the turbo version performs in EVERYDAY DRIVING? The vehicle has been on the market more than a month, yet not a single review on paved roads in fair weather. I test drove the vehicle and I was impressed with it but I still want to see acceleration, braking, and handling testing to compare with other vehicles and I want to hear reviewers impressions of how well it handles daily driver duties. The unavailability of the vehicle in to the press in a normal environment makes me feel like Mazda is hiding something.

Well, there's this thread on that: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123866852-Car-and-Driver-2019-CX5-article

...and this thread here... https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123866842-2019-XC40-vs-2019-CX-5-Signature

Back