Building Koni Coilovers

low_psi

Contributor
:
ms|slowtege #399
Some of you may remember the thread Jeff@Tripoint made when he built his set of double adjustables. I helped Jeff with a lot of the leg work and then he beat me to the punch! So here I am years later finally getting mine finished up.

The shocks are Koni single adjustable race inserts. In addition to the Konis, I'm using Ground Control coil sleeves with Eibach ERS springs. Cusco camber plates have been modified to fit the Konis and allow further camber adjustment on the front struts and custom rear camber plates are being machined. It took 9months to get the rear inserts as they were back ordered and another 3 to get the gland nuts that retain the inserts into the tubes!

They start out as stock struts

Then I removed the lower spring perch and bead blast them.
konis.jpg

These struts were non-MSP struts so the sway bar endlink brackets are super weak and break off the bodies when using OEM Racing Beat or stiffer sway bars. Reinforcement tabs were made and welded on. I'm not a great welder, please don't get too grossed out.

Struts_Welded.jpg

Then the threaded tops off MR2 struts are welded on at the proper tube height. The welds are knocked down slightly with a sander so the spring perch slides over the tube.

FT_01.jpg

Lower spring perches are then cut and welded onto the tubes to allow the Ground Control kit to sit in place.

FT_04.jpg

All the brackets are radiused and cleaned up as the OEM stamped steel is pretty ugly.

FT_02.jpg

Here's a front assembly all mocked up.

FT_05.jpg

The tubes will get powder coated while the rear camber plates are finished. I'll continue to update this thread as the parts come back.

I gotta give you major props on this, no way would I be able to even think about doing something like this without hurting myself haha

The struts are being dropped off for paint tonight. I just need to find some time to sort out the rear camber plates.

Cool build but why not buy some coilovers?

The only options worth looking at are AWR and KW. I'm not sure AWR is even offering their kit anymore since I've talked to Tony and a few of the components are no longer produced. The KWs don't come with camber plates and I'd have to change the spring rates. Of course the Motons are also an option, but they start around 6K last I looked.

Building my own is much more flexible. I can reuse my Ground Control kit, modify my current camber plates and make all the small modifications that I want. Plus I can easily revalve the Konis or convert them to double adjustables. The parts cost (excluding my time) is about on par with the AWR kit.

Yep, head will go on tomorrow along with all the little bits. First motor I've done from the block up in a year... it was nice to knock the rust off.

after i get all my parts wanna come to my house drink some beer and stand over my shoulder while i assemble mine to make sure i dont make some ver costly mistakes? lol

FT_06.jpg

Mocked up with the painted housings. Rear camber plates still need to be made and then it's install time.

nice man. I would love to see these in action and get some feedback from you about how well they work. Maybe then you can market your own custom setup?

Back