Bug? Can turn off engine while still in Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working in my past career as a mechanic and working on trooper cars, trust me when I say they always blame the brakes. When an accident occurs whether a failure of a mechanical system or not with a police vehicle, the car gets forensically dissected to verify the cause of the accident.

In almost 13 years of working on trooper cars I never once saw a brake failure because of a defect in mechanicals. Not saying this officer was lying to help protect his ass but the facts will come out

My instructions still stand, and are correct. You just don't like someone else knowing something you didn't.

I don't like the bulls*** you try an pass on this forum as numerous times you blow smoke. What else should I expect for someone who damns a tire because it has no traction on ice.. idiotic!!!!

I don't like the bulls*** you try an pass on this forum as numerous times you blow smoke. What else should I expect for someone who damns a tire because it has no traction on ice.. idiotic!!!!

Point out one instance of bulls*** on my part. Oh, and without twisting my words.
I didn't damn the Duelers for being dangerous on ice, which they are. I damned them for being an all around lousy tire. Not much of an argument when you have to rewrite my posts.

I LOVE guys who think working in a particular trade automatically makes them an expert, and can't stand someone else actually knowing something. I work in construction, and personally know dozens of guys who have done their jobs for decades and still can't find their ass with both hands on the job. If I don't know an answer, I either shut up, or advise someone where they may get the answer. I don't pull the old "I did it for a job once so I know everything" and give them bad information to massage my own ego.

Last edited:
I LOVE guys who think working in a particular trade automatically makes them an expert, and can't stand someone else actually knowing something. I work in construction,

Wow....

Someone working/worked in the auto trade needs to be dismissed because a construction worker said so?

Get real and stop badgering the board with your input unless you can technically back it up. In this thread, you can't because what you say is pure self induced belief versus accuracy on with what I said.

When I come over to a construction forum and spew junk, you can rap me on my knuckles and I will be able to take it from an industry professional who has/had experience.

Here is what Toyota's people think driver should do....
------------------------------- (quote) ----------------------------------------
Toyota advises drivers to step on the brake pedal with both feet until the vehicle slows and then try to put it into neutral and switch the ignition to accessory power.
For vehicles with engine start/stop buttons, Toyota said the engine can be shut off by holding the button down for three seconds.

That's why you shift to Neutral, and then turn the engine off. No backfire, no damage to the brakes, or trans.

Just curious. If you put in Neutral at full throttle before turning the engine off, aren't you in jeopardy of blowing the engine Vs. a muffler as turning it of first?

I prefer to replace a muffler vs. and engine.

Just asking?

Tom

I guess we can ask some of the 3.x million Toyota owners what they did when their pedal stuck because of a carpet mat.

Just curious. If you put in Neutral at full throttle before turning the engine off, aren't you in jeopardy of blowing the engine Vs. a muffler as turning it of first?

I prefer to replace a muffler vs. and engine.

Just asking?

Tom

Yes you are in jeopardy. Shift into neutral??? For me that would be pushing the clutch in, then shifting into neutral. Too much action in an emergency versus turning the ignition off. There is not one car made today that anyone couldn't handle if the power went off. They are designed that way. Brakes work, steering works just no KABLAM from your engine going into neutral.

Stupid DOMV says to shift into neutral and cost to a stop.. F' your engine I guess.

..and you claim that your method is better because mine will blow the engine and yours will blow only a muffler? We are not talking about a 40 year old car with a manual transmission.

Sorry everyone else, but The9 doesn't have a CLUE what happens with a modern car if you shut the engine off in gear. Try, destroying your $5000 transmission, not your muffler.

What do you think happens when a car is rolling with no power and the transmission in gear, anyway? They don't even want modern cars towed on the ground because of potential damage.

If you shift to neutral and immediately turn the engine off, odds are there will be no damage beyond what the initial revs may have done. Forcing the engine to fight the gearing is worse than overrevving it for a second. For the average driver, the procedure I described is the easiest to learn, and has the largest margin for error.

The9, your mechanic experience hasn't taught you a dam thing. You have to twist my posts to accuse me of BS. Then you're so busy massaging your own baseless ego, that you can't even understand a simple analogy. Construction, or automotive, or whatever, there are thousands of guys who have worked in an industry for decades and still can't do the job right. You are the perfect example of that point. Thank you for helping me make it.

To everyone else, there is absolutely no reason to leave your transmission in gear when you shut off a runaway engine, unless you want to replace it.

Last edited:
40 year old car with a manual transmission? What a cracker you are...You make me laugh the more I read your attempts at a wanna be anything.

By the way, dam is spelled damn but maybe your misspelling of the word is caused by me?? LOL

OZ, tell us what happens to your transmission if you shut your engine off and coast to a stop?

no damage beyond what the initial revs may have done. Please explain your statement for all of us?:confused:

Forcing the engine to fight the gearing What gearing are you talking about?(huh) I could have sworn you keep writing about automatic transmissions which run on fluid driven by a pump. Oops, maybe you should explain your jabber since you like to put the scare into people. I know you get off on it and I hope you seek help one day with that issue.

I guess my Master Technician ASE Certification along with GM, Ford and Chrysler certifications mean nothing?(hand) But hey, listen to guy who may be able to read blueprints and not someone who has proven and documented experience.(confused) Your choice so be happy with the one you choose. (cabpatch)

Have a great day CX9 SportOwner(drive)

wow...never thought I'd have to close a pissing match in the CX-9 section yet here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back