broken headlight

dusterbd13

:
03 P5
so while changing out a bad headlight bulb, I discovered that the wire bail that holds the low beam bulb in on the passengers side is no longer retained in the housing. the housing has cracked at the casted in spot, allowing the bulb to flop around.

so, if an attempted repair doesn't work tonight, iv have to replace the housing. which is stupid expensive.

the sedan headlights, however, are ridiculously cheap on ebay. how does the light output compare between the two? if the P5 has better lighting, ill spend the good money. if not, ill convert. im all but night blind, so I have to have good lights.

thanks
Michael

If you have issues seeing, just stick with the P5 lights. The fact that it's separate bulbs for low- and high beams makes them a lot better. Plus, if you get the sedan headlights you have to rewire the lights.

If nothing else, just duct tape the bulb in like I did. Strips on either side of the wire, alternating between up-and-down and left-and-right.

so while changing out a bad headlight bulb, I discovered that the wire bail that holds the low beam bulb in on the passengers side is no longer retained in the housing. the housing has cracked at the casted in spot, allowing the bulb to flop around.

so, if an attempted repair doesn't work tonight, iv have to replace the housing. which is stupid expensive.

the sedan headlights, however, are ridiculously cheap on ebay. how does the light output compare between the two? if the P5 has better lighting, ill spend the good money. if not, ill convert. im all but night blind, so I have to have good lights.

thanks
Michael

Personally I like the separate high and low beams and yes the headlights are rediculously expensive. I was hit by a cop car on my driver side and ended up replacing both housings. A good alternative are DEPO headlights instead of the Stanley OEM ones. They look the same, fit the same, and are equal quality IMO. Try looking into that as a cheaper but not cheap alternative. Good luck friend

Back