Brake (!) Light Coming on During Hard Braking

DaleNixon

:
2001 Miata, 2011 Mazda 2
I've noticed lately that the dashboard Brake (!) light comes on when I brake hard in traffic (when dumbasses cut me off/etc.). Normal braking doesn't trigger it. Is this a sign that I might need to get my brakes looked at? My P5 does not have ABS and it has 34,000 miles on it.

I really really want to take care of my car. Can I just top it off with any old brake fluid?

yep dot 3 it is.
if the fluid is full, check your pad life.
youre probably in need of brake pads.
not sure if you know this, but the protege5 is notorious for running through rear pads faster than fronts, dont know why, i know i have done my rear pads a hell of a lot more times than my fronts

How long can I let this slide? A couple of weeks? Also, how hard is it to order the pads and replace them yourself for someone like me who doesn't even change his own oil?

Brake jobs are easy, but if u dont know how to change your oil...leave the tools on the work bench and go get em checked out.

Hey thanks for the quick replies everyone! I'm always pleasantly surprised by how awesome everyone is in this forum. I'll check the fluid level tonight after work. If it isn't low I'll take it to the stealership. I was just hoping to avoid that as I'm a bit low on funds right now.

Your brake pads are most likely worn down and need to be replaced. I'd hold off on adding fluid. As the pads wear down, the pistons in the calipers stay further out to keep them close to the disc. This makes the fluid in the reservoir drop down. When you brake hard, the level drops even more, then goes back up when you release the brakes.

If you add fluid to fill the reservoir to the top now, when you go to replace the brake pads, it will spill over the top of the reservoir once the pistons are pushed back in to make room for the new brake pads.

Check the fluid level and make sure there is a good amount in the reservoir. If there is, get the brake pads replaced relatively soon. The sensor in the reservoir that makes the light turn on is mounted pretty high, so it will come on even if there is plenty of fluid.

Hey thanks for the quick replies everyone! I'm always pleasantly surprised by how awesome everyone is in this forum. I'll check the fluid level tonight after work. If it isn't low I'll take it to the stealership. I was just hoping to avoid that as I'm a bit low on funds right now.

my brake and abs lights are coming on and off recently...sometimes while braking lightly i get a grinding in the pedal and then the lights go off...sometimes stay off for days at a time...front and rear pads are fairly new, fluid levels are all good....no wires missing or hanging....cant figure it out....anyone?

Your brake pads are most likely worn down and need to be replaced. I'd hold off on adding fluid. As the pads wear down, the pistons in the calipers stay further out to keep them close to the disc. This makes the fluid in the reservoir drop down. When you brake hard, the level drops even more, then goes back up when you release the brakes.

If you add fluid to fill the reservoir to the top now, when you go to replace the brake pads, it will spill over the top of the reservoir once the pistons are pushed back in to make room for the new brake pads.

Check the fluid level and make sure there is a good amount in the reservoir. If there is, get the brake pads replaced relatively soon. The sensor in the reservoir that makes the light turn on is mounted pretty high, so it will come on even if there is plenty of fluid.

I disagree. Yes, low level means check the pads. But if the pads still have enough life - top off the reservoir. Anyone doing the brakes BETTER know you take some fluid out to compensate when the pistons are pushed back in. The bigger concern would be running the reservoir dry and needing to bleed it. Besides not having any brakes (badbadbadbadbad).

But, if you are already hearing the 'grinding or squealing noise' - the pad indicator is probably telling you to do the brakes NOW anyway.

There are no grinding or squealing noises. Braking is very smooth. This morning I checked the reservoir and it was about a centimeter above the MIN line. I went ahead and added a bit more DOT 3 fluid (found an old bottle in the shed, hopefully it isn't too old). Hopefully this will hold me for a while.

my brake and abs lights are coming on and off recently...sometimes while braking lightly i get a grinding in the pedal and then the lights go off...sometimes stay off for days at a time...front and rear pads are fairly new, fluid levels are all good....no wires missing or hanging....cant figure it out....anyone?

Could possibly be a bad emergency brake cable, tie down or the abs module could be malfunctioning not moving the valves properly to compinsate. Usually happens with metallic dust build up.

There are no grinding or squealing noises. Braking is very smooth. This morning I checked the reservoir and it was about a centimeter above the MIN line. I went ahead and added a bit more DOT 3 fluid (found an old bottle in the shed, hopefully it isn't too old). Hopefully this will hold me for a while.

So no light at all on the drive to work this morning. I probably went more easy on the brakes than usual though. Only had to flip off one person!

Could possibly be a bad emergency brake cable, tie down or the abs module could be malfunctioning not moving the valves properly to compinsate. Usually happens with metallic dust build up.

well the cable is good that much i know....i did have to replace the rear calipers and rotors because the previous owner drove around with the E-brake on all the time......so would cleaning the abs module correct anything or am i gonna have to buy new modules???

Back