Bluetooth...royal pos?

Surfsup

:
Cx5
I admit i never had BT on a car before. Why does it take approximately a minute sitting there with the engine running in park to recognize my phone? Its so annoying i dont bother with it anymore...

Is this just me? Or are all you experiencing similar sync times?

I usually get in the car and start driving and yes, generally within a minute the car and phone are synced and music is playing. Never really timed it and never really found it too be much of a problem. What's the hurry?

Yes, the delayed connect time is the worst I've seen in any car in the last 10 years.

The lag playing music is also annoying.

Mine takes around 30 seconds, sometimes less to connect. Doesn’t bother me at all.

Lots of other issues too:

1) when I click the "next track" the system beeps, goes silent, then starts playing the same track again, then 5 seconds later it goes tot eh next track.
2) today on I294 there was a huge accident. I sat on the hwy for 90 minutes in park with engine off. phone call with BT would switch between the radio/cabin to the phone several times during the call, so when it would switch to the phone and the person was talking, I can hear the phone squeaking, and by the time I pick it up and put it to my ear and start talking, it switches back to the radio/cabin mode. Annoying!
3) Up until today, the original post's purpose was because the BT wouldn't connect to my phone AT ALL unless I sat in the driveway with the car running in park. Now it magically is at least switching while I'm driving.
4) If the phone is playing, I have to go to the home screen first, then swipe back to Pandora for it to start playing even though it is connected. What's up with that?
5) Why do I have to have my contacts downloaded to the car if they are in my phone? I can't call anyone unless I have their contact info downloaded.
6) etc etc etc

Personally, this seems hacked up to me. As stated I never had a BT before in the car so I am not sure if this is just infant technology or Mazda's/Bose's BT is a POS. seems like the latter to me b/c nothing seems to work correctly. Sorry for the rant, it's just that it's 2014 and this should be better. BT has been around for years and years.

It's a third party that designed the control systems for this head unit who screwed it up (Johnson Controls.) The BT system works really poorly compared to the Audi/VW systems. I experience your issue #1 (though maybe 2 seconds before it goes on.) The reason why it takes so long for you to connect (and not for other people) is the size of the address book on your phone. I have a large address book and since there is no way to turn off the "download all contacts" each time it connects, it takes quite a while before BT is usable.

Lots of other issues too:

1) when I click the "next track" the system beeps, goes silent, then starts playing the same track again, then 5 seconds later it goes tot eh next track.
2) today on I294 there was a huge accident. I sat on the hwy for 90 minutes in park with engine off. phone call with BT would switch between the radio/cabin to the phone several times during the call, so when it would switch to the phone and the person was talking, I can hear the phone squeaking, and by the time I pick it up and put it to my ear and start talking, it switches back to the radio/cabin mode. Annoying!
3) Up until today, the original post's purpose was because the BT wouldn't connect to my phone AT ALL unless I sat in the driveway with the car running in park. Now it magically is at least switching while I'm driving.
4) If the phone is playing, I have to go to the home screen first, then swipe back to Pandora for it to start playing even though it is connected. What's up with that?
5) Why do I have to have my contacts downloaded to the car if they are in my phone? I can't call anyone unless I have their contact info downloaded.
6) etc etc etc

Personally, this seems hacked up to me. As stated I never had a BT before in the car so I am not sure if this is just infant technology or Mazda's/Bose's BT is a POS. seems like the latter to me b/c nothing seems to work correctly. Sorry for the rant, it's just that it's 2014 and this should be better. BT has been around for years and years.

First, what phone do you have?
1. Never had this issue on my many Android phones Nexus 4, Nexus 5, HTC One.
2. Never had an issue with system transfering back and phone. You're sure your face isn't hitting the change audio button?
4. Again what phone? What do you mean if phone is playing, then you have to go back to Pandora to play again? Blame Pandora's "car mode" feature.
5. All BT systems in all cars it must download the contacts info to its system. It's not "ON THE FLY" searching and dialing.

Since this is your first BT system in a car, trust me, it's this bad in general. BT is a horrible technology.

It's a third party that designed the control systems for this head unit who screwed it up (Johnson Controls.) The BT system works really poorly compared to the Audi/VW systems. I experience your issue #1 (though maybe 2 seconds before it goes on.) The reason why it takes so long for you to connect (and not for other people) is the size of the address book on your phone. I have a large address book and since there is no way to turn off the "download all contacts" each time it connects, it takes quite a while before BT is usable.

I don't have issues with it downloading contacts everytime.
The CX-5 is not suppose to download contacts each time it connects. If it is, something is wrong.
It's suppose to download once you first pair a phone, and anytime you initiate a manual contacts download in the menus.

My Nexus 4, 5, HTC One, have all connected and started playing my podcasts within 30seconds of turning the car on.

Mine is an iPhone 5. It downloads contacts every time I re-establish BT link before starting the audio. I've watched it do it multiple times looking to see if there was something in the menu system to turn that off. Very irritating. Any other iPhone users with this issue? Or, I guess, more importantly, any other BT users who don't have this issue like nXt?

iPhone 5s/Bose and no issues with repeatedly downloading contacts. It just does it if I tell it to.

have you tried: deleting the pairing, deleting the contacts, doing a hard reboot of your phone (hold down both power and face button until completely rebooted). Then re-pair and re-download contacts.

I do notice what you describe when using the steering wheel track skip button.

I'll try the re-pairing. I was just thinking maybe I've gone crazy but I just monitored it happening again a few minutes ago when I got in the car. It always downloads contacts after each time I re-pair.

The reason why it takes so long for you to connect (and not for other people) is the size of the address book on your phone. I have a large address book and since there is no way to turn off the "download all contacts" each time it connects, it takes quite a while before BT is usable

Actually I never d/l my contacts into the car, are you saying it still reads them all? If it does, I would think it would allow me to MAKE a call but it won't because the system says it can't until it d/l my contacts. And I haven't elected to do that yet. I don't really want all my contacts uploaded to the car.

First, what phone do you have?

Nokia Lumia 925. WP8.

2. Never had an issue with system transfering back and phone. You're sure your face isn't hitting the change audio button?

100% sure. Phone was sitting on the passenger seat face up until I picked it up b/c the car audio turned off.

What do you mean if phone is playing, then you have to go back to Pandora to play again?

If Pandora is playing on my phone and I get into the car, BT will never connect. I need to first switch applications on the phone, then go back to Pandora and it will somehow then sync up.+

BT is a horrible technology

Yea, I agree.

I do notice what you describe when using the steering wheel track skip button.

Strange that it is just for the steering wheel control for you.

Ok, seems it is what it is b/c the technology is not mature. It's just annoying, possibly due to my expectations of the technology being higher than what's possible.

I'll try the re-pairing. I was just thinking maybe I've gone crazy but I just monitored it happening again a few minutes ago when I got in the car. It always downloads contacts after each time I re-pair.

It's useless trying to resolve contact download issue. It's a feature of the latest Mazda headunit. Mine does it too and I gave contacted EU Mazda Handsfree support about a month ago and this is the reply I got from them:--

Thank you for your request.

The automatic download of the phonebook when connecting the phone is a specification of the Handsfree system.

Unfortunately this feature can not be deactivated.

We apologize for the unsatisfying response.

If you have any further question, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards

--
Stefanie Wiwie
Handsfree Support

Let's just hope they come out with some software update that fixes this and other issues. In the meantime what you can do is click on the cancel button as soon as the phonebook download starts. The download will cancel itself but the contact list will still be available in the car headunit. However you have to be prompt at it because the cancel button gets disabled a few seconds after the download starts. Another solution would be to create a small group of contacts on your phone whose numbers you are most likely to use, and download just those. A short contact list will just take seconds to download. Hope this was of help to you.
Etienne.

I find Bluetooth very irritating on the 2014.5 CX-5. On my iPhone 5, it seems to shuffle or at least just play music in random order. The phone is not set to shuffle. I have quite a mix of styles and I get just an odd potpourri of playing. The next and previous buttons on the head unit seem to do whatever they please. I find it quite baffling. I wonder if anyone from Mazda ever used this thing before they put it into the vehicle.

@ecassar Thank you. That is good info. I have 1200 contacts in my iphone 5. If the last time I got out of my CX-5 I was in one of the "Bluetooth" or "Pandora" modes, when I return I am basically immobilized from using those functions until the phone book downloads again - I receive the "Data function is currently not available" or whatever the popup window says. It took me a couple of days just to realize that it was downloading my contact list before I knew WTF was going on. Yes, I can toggle over to FM, for example, but this is ridiculous - especially if I turn off the car to get gas and jump back in and my system gets "tased" again. I guess it is time to clean up the phone book.

I never download my contact list. To place a call, i browse my contacts on my phone and dial it that way. At least this method saves me from all the other headaches. The BT still annoys me with its demonic behavior but I can deal with it so far.

My bluetooth stopped reading/showing my text messages within the past two weeks, deleting and reconnecting didn't fix it. Pandora still streams perfectly fine though.

My Bluetooth actually froze up on me. It would get stuck trying to connect and the Bluetooth, Pandora and USB tabs were grayed out. I was out of town so I ended up calling my dealer. They advised to disconnect the battery for a couple minutes. Fortunately, that worked. It's been two weeks now and it hasn't happened again. I have to take my 2014.5 in for it's first 5000 mile service in another week. I'll have then look at it then.

My bluetooth stopped reading/showing my text messages within the past two weeks, deleting and reconnecting didn't fix it. Pandora still streams perfectly fine though.

If you ever find out what changed, I'd love to do that on my system. iPhones don't support the text message Bluetooth protocol so it pops up asking if you'd like to download the message but then nothing happens. It does interrupt the screen though which is why I'd like to turn it off asking that same question each time.

I also have significant issues with Bluetooth and my Iphone 5. It doesn't always connect, so i have to hope and pray it eventually will. It always tries to download the contacts, which I really don't want. Pandora drives me nuts, because I always have to select on the phone to allow it to connect on the phone.

So far I'm really disappointed. I also wish I could play any audio from the phone when connected to USB, rather than just the Ipod player. I use a podcast app and that's what i mainly listen to and streaming music through Spotify.

Latest posts

Back