Biggest tire possible

I'd like to install the largest wheels and tires possible on my 2019 CX-5 without having to mess with the car's suspension and without scraping the wheels. I've been thinking about placing 20" rims with 255/50r20 tires. I'm not very concerned with performance but I am concerned about safety. I'm more concerned about the look of it (yes, shame on me). Can someone shed some light on this on whether this is possible and even if I could go even bigger?

I can't answer the question, but you DO realise that if you increase the overall diameter of your wheels, then your speedometer and odometer will be affected, right? They will measure slower/shorter than you are actually travelling. It will also affect the gearing and thus acceleration.

I can't answer the question, but you DO realise that if you increase the overall diameter of your wheels, then your speedometer and odometer will be affected, right? They will measure slower/shorter than you are actually travelling. It will also affect the gearing and thus acceleration.
Thank you for your response. I have read this here somewhere and yes that is something I'm willing to deal and be careful with. As long as it is safe, I'd like to go forward with it.

Factory rims are 7" wide. My understanding is widest tire would be 235mm. Do a search on this forum. Others going wider than 235 have had to get aftermarket rims.

wheel-size.com

Use this site to figure out your OEM wheel size. Then, use their tire size calculator to plug in your OEM wheel specs and your proposed new wheel specs and compare the two. Primarily, you'll be concerned with fender clearance, suspension clearance, and brake clearance. Also pay attention to overall wheel diameter, this will tell you how much your speedo will be off, but generally its pretty minor unless you get wheels large enough to require a suspension lift.

Once you have an idea of the differences between the two wheel sets, it's time to check to see how much room you have to work with. For me, I just went to my car and used my phone to snap some pictures of the existing clearance between the inner rim and the suspension and brake components, as well as the outer rim and the plastic fenders. It's not an exact science, but it's a lot better than hoping and praying lol

Back