Bi-Xenon AFS Behavior

Pipemajor

Hoot Mon!
:
Minnesota
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Only had my 2015 Grand Touring w/Tech package for a week now and trying to figure out how the AFS feature works on the bi-xenon HID headlights. I can see the beam pattern moving but both beams don't move parallel with each other? I see a lot of diverging and converging. I assume a right turn then the right beam swivels to the right but the left beam remains straight ahead? I've only had the opportunity to observe the setup or a few nights on short in-town hopping around.

Only had my 2015 Grand Touring w/Tech package for a week now and trying to figure out how the AFS feature works on the bi-xenon HID headlights. I can see the beam pattern moving but both beams don't move parallel with each other? I see a lot of diverging and converging. I assume a right turn then the right beam swivels to the right but the left beam remains straight ahead? I've only had the opportunity to observe the setup or a few nights on short in-town hopping around.
It does take some getting used to compared to conventional headlights. It looks to me that when you turn right, the right headlight follows while the left remains straight, and vise versa. Driving motorcycles all my life, I'm used to looking ahead into corners and I drive a lot at night, so I love that I can see into the corners sooner with much improved lighting over non HID. The other night a passenger commented that she thought my high beams were on because they were SO bright, as she's not familiar with HID lighting.

Once you have owned Xenon it is hard to go back to Halogen. I like what you did to the Mazda emblem up front.

It does take some getting used to compared to conventional headlights. It looks to me that when you turn right, the right headlight follows while the left remains straight, and vise versa. Driving motorcycles all my life, I'm used to looking ahead into corners and I drive a lot at night, so I love that I can see into the corners sooner with much improved lighting over non HID. The other night a passenger commented that she thought my high beams were on because they were SO bright, as she's not familiar with HID lighting.

What Skorpio said... mine are the same, its designed to do just that... nice and bright without pissing off other drivers like afermarkets do...ya gotta love it!

Once you have owned Xenon it is hard to go back to Halogen. I like what you did to the Mazda emblem up front.

Thanks buddy! I have to admit, on my last car (2009 civic ex) I installed aftermarket 5000k HID into the halogen housing, and while it improved vision it still doesn't compare to OEM (but I like the 5000k color better). Yes, I lowered lights enough not to blind traffic, and I had planned on retrofitting some Infiniti FX35 projectors into the housings, but traded her in instead for Evil Em. Now, I have a set of bi-xenons projectors about the same size as my factory fog lights. Hmmmm.....

Correct, and vice versa for left turns. Both speed and steering angles are considered as well.

Back