Backfire/Popping

thomjs1

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I am getting a backfire, and can't seem to figure the problem out. When I let off the gas, and then give it a quick tap the car backfires really badly. I am getting around 21in of vac at idle and around 18in with ac on.

The check engine light keeps going off and on, but it wasn't able to be read at autozone when it was on.

Current mods are customMSP smic, Corksport intercooler pipes, catless midpipe and j pipe, relocated MAF, flashed ecu, forge WGA an BOV and a cold air intake.

Our cars backfire because they run crazy rich, flashing the ecu tries to solve the hesitation problem, but we still run rich. The split second air fuel controler should make it better, but unless you change your timing there's not that much you can do. What are you running on the end of your exhaust? Since you don't have a cat backfires are going to be louder and more noticable, as long as it's on the exhaust side past the midpipe, it won't do any damage. If you're running staight through, then expect it often.

When you say the check engine light keeps going on and off, do you mean blinking? Or just comes and goes? There should be a history code in there regardless if you scanned it within a reasonable amount of time. Are there any drivability problems?

It's 3" straight pipe so nothing on the end of it.

The light will be on for a day or so then it will go off. When AZ went to read it their machine wouldn't recognize my car. Maybe due to the flashes ecu?

Back