axle installation help / axle keeps rotating out

GoProtege

Contributor
:
Mazda Protege ES 2.0 With Spool Turbo Kit
Hi all,
I'm replacing the left drivers side axle on my manual 2.0 ES non abs with a remanufactured napa version.
When installing, I can feel the axle lock into place and the cv housing fits snuggly right against the transmission housing. Also, I'm using the retaining clip that came on the new axle.

Everything seems fine until I crank the car up and give it a little gas. At that point the rotation cause the axle to slide right out of the transmission

The axle is the 24mm size..Could that be the problem? But other people on the forums have said they have used the 24mm on their ES..so...I don't know

Could I have screwed something up when I was removing / beating the hell out of the old axle?

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Check that the axle went all the way in. You have to postion the axle just right to where it is a solid peace and doesnt move. Two people would be mucb better. Also make sure you have the axle nut on. And use a peace of wood to hit it in. As far as problems one could be that the spider gear fell in which would require a rebuild. Ill double check on the axle in a few.

Check that the axle went all the way in. You have to postion the axle just right to where it is a solid peace and doesnt move. Two people would be mucb better. Also make sure you have the axle nut on. And use a peace of wood to hit it in. As far as problems one could be that the spider gear fell in which would require a rebuild. Ill double check on the axle in a few.

I'm pretty sure the axle went all the way in..I honestly don't see how it couldn't have(tried multiple times)..Also The other end of the axle is in the wheel hub and the axle nut is on
If the spider gear fell in, would that make noise, because I don't here any while in driving in gear

thanks

FYI:
Before I realized this was happening I took the car for a test drive and was able to drive it.
(then I saw the gallons and gallons of gear fluid)
Seems the suspension held it in place enough to keep contact with the gear but not enough to keep from leaking like mad.

In case that helps...

Latest posts

Back