Autocross question: how low can you let the gas tank get before you starve?

okvol

:
2014 Mazda 2 sport
I had a Scion TC (before I raced this 2), and at 3/8s tank, I could fuel starve on a hard right - even just 90 degrees.

What experience have you had with a 2 and stock fuel tank?

I just ran yesterday, and per a write-up i read from Andy Hollis, I started event with the single fuel indicator light blinking. I got in 5 runs with no issues and drove 1/2 mile after to get to the station for gas.and this was a nice course with hard rights and lefts.

I run on E at all my events. My miles left indication is either 20 below or 0 and I find that it works fine for a 6 run event. However as a precaution I away carry a 1.2 gallon spare tank just in case.

SCCA recommends running with half a tank of fuel (non car specific). I'm just planning to run with 1/4 tank since we get such great gas mileage.

I started with 1 block blinking, and I also had a co-driver. We both did eight runs, and I made it to the nearest gas station w/o an issue.

Hmm...This Sunday I left the house with one solid block. It started blinking when I got to our lot and after my first run I had no blocks, just the blinking E. I left for more gas after my third run just to be safe. I was surprised how fast it went down.

I left for sunday's local event, about a 5 mile drive, with 2 blocks left on the fuel indicator. 6 runs, a lot of idle time, and driving back and I was still only down to 1 bar. No problems.

I've always did auto x with 1 solid bar, and a 2 gallon gas tank just in case I need more.

If you run the tank to flashing E, you "might" have problems making over 1G left handers at a Pro Solo... Asked me how I know..

Latest posts

Back