AutoBlog Reviews 2013 CX-9

dsc888

:
2021 CX-9 GT
Hey Folks,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a new review of the 2013 CX-9. It's positive and balanced.

The reviewer stated in conclusion that:

"I don't think that I've tested a three-row crossover that's quite so fun to drive as this one. That strikes me as a core competency that's not super valuable for the segment, though it might be more of a niche (driver-focused family haulers) than I understand."

Check it out here.

I can't believe he says the Nissan is more luxurious. Interior materials quality is the #1 thing that pushed me to CX-9. I do not think the new Pathfinder feels nearly as nice inside as the CX-9 does. All that fake wood... gross. CX-9 looks and feels nicer.

I can't believe he says the Nissan is more luxurious. Interior materials quality is the #1 thing that pushed me to CX-9. I do not think the new Pathfinder feels nearly as nice inside as the CX-9 does. All that fake wood... gross. CX-9 looks and feels nicer.

I'm guessing that it's all in the eye of the beholder, as they say. I am also someone who though the CX-9 looked pretty luxurious and this also factored in greatly for my purchase. I love the way the HVAC dials look and feel on the dash. We have the sand colored interior and the contrast leather inserts look very sporty. I admire it each time I take a drive.

Yeah the plush feel is pretty much what sold me on the CX-9. Test drove the Pathfinder (okay), Tribeca (really liked it), Highlander (nice, but the salesman scared us off), Sorento (meh) and settled on the CX-9 partially due to just feeling like we were driving a luxury car, much more so than the other vehicles. The leather on the CX-9 is top notch, right up there with the Acura I used to own. The red stitching on the black is a really nice touch. Just the right amount of dials too. I hate some of these new cars that offer little to no dials for controls.

I agree completely with you guys. The dials are great. I live in the Midwest and for a huge chunk of the year I will be using heat in the morning and A/C in the afternoon and it is so annoying to have to push-push-push 40 times to go from high temp to low temp again. In the Mazda you just spin the dial and you're done. I love the leather; I especially love the leather on the center console and armrests.

I just test drove a new Pathfinder two weeks ago and thought that it was a very nice vehicle. The interior was laid out very well and the seats were quite comfortable especially the heaters. The seat heaters are probably my biggest gripe about my cx after the infotainment system. The interior is very roomy and the second room is much more comfortable than my cx. The tech package is also pretty impressive for the class.

The handling and acceleration were pretty good too, but not quite on a par with my cx9. The claimed MPGs are pretty intriguing as well. The CVT worked well and showed no lag or rubber band effect. I would be really concerned about its ability to tow though. The Pathfinder is rated at 5000lbs and that just seems too much to ask of a cvt.

The downside is that it looks like a cheaper vehicle. No projector headlights, and no HID option either. No LED tails , they are incandecent only. For $40k I would think those should at least be options if not std. The wheels and tires look more truck-like and not as sleek as those on the cx. The handling is definitely beneath the cx.

Overall I really liked the Pathfinder, but its drawbacks could not justify going another $20k in debt on top of what I owe on my CX9. I am happy with what I have and it only has 28k miles on it so it should last me a longwhile.
Nissan has raised the bar for the class I just hope that Mazda does the same with the next gen.

I just test drove a new Pathfinder two weeks ago and thought that it was a very nice vehicle. The interior was laid out very well and the seats were quite comfortable especially the heaters. The seat heaters are probably my biggest gripe about my cx after the infotainment system. The interior is very roomy and the second room is much more comfortable than my cx. The tech package is also pretty impressive for the class.

The handling and acceleration were pretty good too, but not quite on a par with my cx9. The claimed MPGs are pretty intriguing as well. The CVT worked well and showed no lag or rubber band effect. I would be really concerned about its ability to tow though. The Pathfinder is rated at 5000lbs and that just seems too much to ask of a cvt.

The downside is that it looks like a cheaper vehicle. No projector headlights, and no HID option either. No LED tails , they are incandecent only. For $40k I would think those should at least be options if not std. The wheels and tires look more truck-like and not as sleek as those on the cx. The handling is definitely beneath the cx.

Overall I really liked the Pathfinder, but its drawbacks could not justify going another $20k in debt on top of what I owe on my CX9. I am happy with what I have and it only has 28k miles on it so it should last me a longwhile.
Nissan has raised the bar for the class I just hope that Mazda does the same with the next gen.

That's unfathomable that Nissan doesn't offer HIDs on the Pathfinder. Murano has them; I've seen Rouges with HIDs--doesn't make sense.

Yep we also considered the Pathfinder but the HIDs were something we wanted. They want you to drop 50K on the Infiniti version to get that.

My 08 Altima had HIDs. The were the older reflector type vs the projector style we have, but they worked fairly well and did not have the glare that the after market units have.

I just can't comprehend how the can offer them on a $30k (maxed out) sedan and not on 3 row SUV that easily breaks $40k.

And led tails are pretty important to me too. The faster reaction time of led vs incandescent equals 15 ft less stopping distance at highway speeds. That's pretty significant just from using a different style of bulb.

I worked at a dealership that sold both, and the Pathfinder is more comfortable and a TON more space for cargo and passengers. The CX-9 is more of a drivers car as well all know, but no where near as comfortable to drive as the Pathfinder. Also the Pathfinder is more maneuverable. The turning radius is outstanding on the Pathfinder. One BIG downside on the pathfinder is having to go up to the platinum model just to get Nav, but that is changing for the 2014 model. Nissan is famous for making technologies only available on the top trim level in the first model year.

As far as HID's are concerned, it seems Nissan is going away from that option for whatever reason. Only the V6 SL Altima come with HID's.
If I had to choose today between a 40k Platinum Premium or a $33,000 GT with tech, I would go with the CX-9.

If you have big children the Pathfinder is the better option.

>> The turning radius is outstanding on the Pathfinder
CX9: 37.4ft, Pathfinder: 38.7ft
>> Pathfinder is ... a TON more space for cargo and passengers.
CX9: 139.4/100.7/48.3/17.2 (total/2nd-3rd-row-folded/3rd-folded/behind-3rd-row)
Pathfinder: 157.0/79.8/47.8/16

Last edited:
Back