Auto wipers

sheveal

Wipers on my 07 CX-9 GT when in auto mode will move once when the engine is started. Is it normal? Do your wipers behave similarly?

Wipers on my 07 CX-9 GT when in auto mode will move once when the engine is started. Is it normal? Do your wipers behave similarly?
My auto wipers do not behave this way. They wipe generally only when there is dirt or precipitation that appears while moving.

Note that if you had the auto dimming mirror installed by the dealer (or yourself), there is a chance that specific tabs used in the auto wiper sensor could have broken and that affects auto wiper performance in general. Search for OMF's posts on the auto dimming mirror install issues on this forum.

If I leave them in the Auto position, about 50% of the time they wipe once when I start the engine. So I treat the Auto position like an intermitant setting. When it starts to rain, I switch to Auto and let it do its thing (very well actually) and then switch back to off when the rain is finished.

No, it is not normal, you have to reinitialize the rain sensor.... you might need to do this after the HomeLlink mirror installation or due to battery disconnect-reconnect.

Rain Sensor Reinitialization Setting

CAUTION: If the initialization is performed with water or dirt on the windshield, the rain sensor may not operate normally. Before performing the rain sensor initialization again, remove waret and dirt from the windshield.

NOTE:
  • When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position after replacing the rain sensor with a new one, the windshield condition is verified and the initial setting is stored
  • Perform the initial setting again in the following cases:
    • The windshield is replaced and the rain sensor is reused
    • The auto wiper system operates incorrectly (in my case in AUTO mode always performed a slow clycle when I turned the ignition switch to ON position, and didn't adjust the speed correctly to actual rain conditions.)
  1. Remove water and dirt from the windshield surface
  2. Turn the ignition switch OFF
  3. Turn the windshield wiper switch to AUTO position
  4. Within 10 s after turning the ignition switch to the ON position, turn the windshield wiper switch from AUTO to OFF position for five times and return it to the AUTO position.
CAUTION: If the operation is too fast, the windshield wiper switch position cannot be detected and the initial setting may not be performed. Operate the windshield wiper switch for one cycle (AUTO->OFF->AUTO) per 1 s.

NOTE: When the initial setting is performed correctly, the windshield wiper operates once at low speed.

thank you all. I will try what OMF suggested tonight and report back results...hopefully it solves the problem.

Thanks OMF! I picked up my new CX-9 today. The dealer had added a HomeLink mirror apparently causing the one-wipe each time I started the vehicle. Problem solved!

Thanks OMF! I picked up my new CX-9 today. The dealer had added a HomeLink mirror apparently causing the one-wipe each time I started the vehicle. Problem solved!
Welcome and enjoy your CX-9!

Back