Auto up/down window switches - possible with Mazda6 switch?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Don't really know what section to post this in so move it if need be.

I was just watching a video on the 2015 Mazda6 and it stated that for the new model year the car received Auto up/down window switches on the drivers door panel for all four windows as well as illumination on all switches. I could care less about the illumination but the one touch up/down feature sure is nice. My wife's 2003 Audi A4 has that and it's very convenient. Any how, what are the possibilities that the Mazda6 switch could be swapped into the CX-5 and gain that function? Is it simply all controlled in the switch or are there different motors in the doors that allow that function? I know both the Mazda6 and CX-5 are relatively new models so I don't know if anyone has tried it yet. I tried searching but came up empty. Some how, someone always finds weird little mods to cars, like window switches or something. I know my 2003 Mazda Protege5 didn't have intermittent windshield washer switch but low and behold the wiper stalk from a tribute or escape of the same style was a direct swap and gained me intermittent wipers. Thought I'd just ask the question and see if anyone has played around with it at all.

Last edited:
The drivers side window (only) has this, at least on the Touring and I assume GT trim lines.

It's more than just replacing switches as their is logic somewhere in the system to keep the windows from closing on your finger if it senses a certain amount of resistance.

Ok I edited my first post as It wasn't very clear. What I was seeing in the video I was watching that the one touch function was added to all the buttons on the driver side door, not just the driver side window. The driver could one touch up or down any window.

So do you know for a fact that it won't work or you are just making an assumption? I thought all power windows had a regulator know that won't let them close if resistance is met. You know the whole safety thing with kids getting there heads stuck. I was thinking that the switch it self contols the one touch up and down with a some sort of circuit or device that keeps power a bit longer to the window. Honestly I don't know how they work so I guess that is why I was asking. Is it in the switch, the window motor, or the ECU or all three. Seems like it could be a simple swap out if it's just all in the switches. Anyone else have any input

Most likely nobody knows.
I would really like to have this feature, because in my previous VW I had this.
Actually the driver's switches have a PCB with a bunch of electronic components on it, ICs as well.
Maybe the brain is there.
It would be nice, if we could compare the two, to see the difference between them.

Last edited:
I wish the CX-5 had at least passenger 1-touch auto up/down windows. Here's an interesting write up for an older generation Mazda 6. I'm sure the concept applies to the CX-5 if somebody with the technical knowhow is brave enough to try:

linky

Looks like Mazda6 switches are popping up on ebay. They run about $75. I'll keep an eye on them and see if I find one cheaper. I might pick one up and try it to see. The plugs look to be identical and the switch is rather larger underneath so they electronics might be there that control the other windows one touch up/down.

What I really want, instead, is for all window switches to work (up and down) after I power the engine off and for the auto-up function not to be cancelled if I triggered it just before turning off the engine.

What I really want, instead, is for all window switches to work (up and down) after I power the engine off and for the auto-up function not to be cancelled if I triggered it just before turning off the engine.
Keeping the power available for the extra 30 seconds after the engine got turned off is more useful than this one-touch up/down power window feature. I really enjoy that feature on our other vehicles, and hate it whenever I've to turn the power on again after I shut the engine off on CX-5 to close the windows! Unfortunately this is something not easy to implement unless it's designed from factory!

I know there is a smart dc-dc converter, that is used for car pcs. After the car is shut down, the converter waits for the signal from the PC, to turn off completely the power.

I wish the CX-5 had at least passenger 1-touch auto up/down windows. Here's an interesting write up for an older generation Mazda 6. I'm sure the concept applies to the CX-5 if somebody with the technical knowhow is brave enough to try:

linky

This is something I'm really thinking about doing. looking for all the parts now, hopefully i can find everything without going overboard in this project.

You need different motors in the door so at a certain pressure (hit a hand) it will reverse and go back down and not trap a hand, arm or head.

You need different motors in the door so at a certain pressure (hit a hand) it will reverse and go back down and not trap a hand, arm or head.
Yeah the Mazda6 link did mention he acquired different power window motors with pressure sensor for anti-pinch safety feature on his one-touch up/down power window mod.

I find the lack of illumination more annoying. Wife doesn't like the non-auto up/down on the passenger window. She says it 'hurts' her finger to keep it on the switch to fully lower/raise it. Her Camry Hybrid has full auto up/down. Even our old '92 Camry LE has illuminated switches.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this was the only thread I found online about adding the illuminated switch with auto up and down to a ~2014 Mazda. After reading this thread, I got rear door window switches from a 2015 Mazda6 at a junkyard and tried to install them into my 2014 Mazda6. It did not work ... the 2014 switch connector has 1 row of pins and the 2015 switch connector has 2 row of pins. Even though they are very similar cars, it is not plug and play compatible. It may be possible with some custom wiring or something, but it is not easily accomplishable. I am assuming similar vehicles like the CX-5 would have the same issue. Hopefully this information helps someone in the future so they don't have to do what I did and be disappointed!

Back