ATF Fluid M-V Recommendations For P5

dirizarr

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hi Guys I have a 2002 P5 with automatic trannyand just hit 110k miles. I have the car for only a few months and the tranny levels are good and the tranny shifts fine but the fluid is a light brown.
Scared of getting a tranny flush but maybe you guys should tell me if I should or shouldn't or just get a drain and fill. Also Valvoline has a Mulit-Vehicle ATF fluid which I would guess is the same as the Mercon M-V? Any advice on a good replacement atf? I know Amsoil and Redline are good but is there a good but inexpensive fluid?

You can get the Castrol if that is available, if however the Valvoline is the right ATF rating according to the Manual then go right ahead. As for the flush, a simple fill and let it run while the tranny pushes out the fluid itself is a good idea. Better to let some one who knows how to do it perform this. What We do here and I have had done is buy a cheaper fluid with the same rating, drain the tranny. Then fill it back up with the cheaper fluid. I disconnect the hose from the rad that sends the fluid out then start the car for a VERY short while and let some of it pump out. After this is done then I refill. You will not have to do this every ATF change though, it's not necessary. Changing your transmission filter as well is a good idea if you have not done this already. The process I just describe I actually have one of my mechs do this since I don't have the facilities or the experience so like I said before if you know some one who can do this let them handle it. Considering your mileage it is not a good idea to vacuum, as a matter of fact I don't particularly tell anyone to vacuum their tranny, as it will take out the particles that are holding your tranny together. Hope the info is useful, just my little exposure and 2 cents. Keep us posted and cheers.

Wildcard, what color is the dealer mv atf fluid? Golden or red? My friends p5 has motor oil color atf and mine is turning brownish.

Back