Areas most susceptible to rock chips on CX-5? (to add paint protection film)

zlocity

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
I'm looking at adding a paint protection film (aka clear bra) and come to realize the areas that requires coverage depends from car to car (e.g.: CX-5 vs. Tesla). Different aerodynamics, shape.

For CX-5 owners, where do you see most of your rock chips? I'm looking at half or full hood and half or full fenders to cover with Xpel.

Hood fenders mirrors. Front bumper. I would go for the bikini cut hood instead of the straight cut hood piece, the curve d line isn't as noticeable. I just had those options installed on my '16 GT. if you have the 2016 you won't need the older front grill piece and if you have I-activsense make sure they cover the piece that covers the front emblem.

Paint protection film is not really necessary. The CX-5 paint is super tough and the undercoating is double zinc so, even if you get a few tiny chips, it's unlikely to show signs of rust.

I just gave my 2013 CX-5 it's first coat of wax. Before that it's never been protected in any way and it's been filthy most of it's over 24,000 miles of use on sanded mountain highways, gravel roads knocking down alder saplings while the branches scraped against the dirty sides and parked outside where it collected bird droppings, leaves and needles. After a bit of elbow grease and wax it looked almost brand new with any rock chips so tiny and superficial as to be inconsequential.

It's been speculated that the colors that cost extra like Pearl White (mine) have an extra coat and may be slightly tougher.

Modern automotive urethanes are are amazing.

Most of your chips to substrate will happen on your front bumper, in the form of dimples or scratched to the black plastic. I have not had as many hood chips in comparison, on either of my cx-5's, but I also use the edge protector. I actually had a rust spot appear on my roof where a small rock chip was. This happened on my 13 and my 15 cx-5. On my 13 I had plenty of rock chips down to the black surface of the bumper. Not as many on the new cx-5, but they are (were) there. My bumper was replaced/repainted so currently I have none noticeable.

Anyone else looked at "MikeM." and think Michael Meyers lol. I don't know why but that randomly popped in my head today.

Actually I just checked my roof and found 2 rust spot + more chips. Of course I can't find the touch up paint lol.

E3FxWyL.jpg

Are you sure those are actually rust spots? All the way through the clear, color and primer? A lot of times stuff like that can be caused from small pieces of iron getting stuck in the paint and what not from industrial fall out, rail dust etc. you could try a product like carPro iron-x and clay bar to remove those contaminants. Or it could be rock chip and rust but it's hard to tell from the picture. I think it does look like something is in there though.

Are you sure those are actually rust spots? All the way through the clear, color and primer? A lot of times stuff like that can be caused from small pieces of iron getting stuck in the paint and what not from industrial fall out, rail dust etc. you could try a product like carPro iron-x and clay bar to remove those contaminants. Or it could be rock chip and rust but it's hard to tell from the picture. I think it does look like something is in there though.
The bottom left is bare metal rust, the middle of the 3 spots on the right has a small dab of rust on it. I'm going to clay bar it and put some touch up on it when I find it/buy some more.

Doing a full bumper, full hood, mirrors and 80% bumper right now... Wondering if "A" pillars and roof lines are needed...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

We live in the desert where we may get sandstorms, lots of highway driving which contains both rocks and pickup trucks that shoot rocks into your paint, bugs here and there.

CX-5: DIY bulk and/or custom kit. Full front bumper, headlights, foglights, fenders, door edges, 12-inch up hood, 6-inch up patch installed on hatch door to protect from wife's and my ring jewelry, 3 inch patch installed on top edge rear bumper for when loading objects into hatch. I installed "gutter guards" for added protection for radiator/AC? to protect from bugs.

Mazda6: Pro installed front bumper. DIY bulk film installed 18-inches up hood, headlights, and door edges. Since this car has glossy door panels I installed film there as well. Installed mud flaps to protect areas behind wheels from chips and they sure make cleaning off dirt easy.

Both cars have/will accumulate tiny pitts on windshields from rocks. For paint chips I plan on using this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

So far the CX-5 has maybe 2-3 tiny chips on unprotected areas (hood near windshield) and the Mazda6 has 1 tiny chip on unprotected fender. Otherwise protected areas are flawless.

Are these paint touch ups better than OEM?

Based off my research from reading reviews/ watching vids I think it is worth a shot although I have not used it yet. The brand itself is highly regarded for its color matching and effectiveness based off my research reading auto detailing forums as well as product reviewers (some of which own 2013+ Mazdas). Another similar competing product is the Langka paint chip repair kit

I tried oem paint pens in the past for my BMW and I'm not a fan. Furthermore I've read how 2013+ Mazda paint especially the soul red can be hard to color match. Even by professional body shops. So I'm bypassing the paint pens. I'm just waiting for more significant chips before I purchase the Dr Color kit.

When I first got my clear bra, I had the full hood with wrapped edges, bumper, headlights, and the black part just over the front emblem done. My take on it is it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it because you can't control what may happen in any given circumstance. I left the other parts unprotected as a compromise because I still wanted to detail it without worries of whether a car product had petroleum distillates or other harmful stuff, which might affect the film.

I've driven interstate along desert highways and even get hit with small debris from big tires and windy days in the city. There are small, pin-like punctures on the hood and bumper where perhaps tiny rocks would have chipped the paint. Eventually, If I know I'd be traveling some rough roads I also use the oem front bra for added protection.

I've been splashed with gushing water from busted city sprinklers spray. Water spots, orange spots (airline fuel), bugs, and bird droppings were safely removed with a quick detailer.

I've been hit on the side of the bumper by another car when parked. Thankfully only the clear bra was scraped, saving the paint underneath. Replacing the current clear film is on my todo.

While some may not have any issues with the paint, it depends on many factors - some of which may be beyond the control of the driver. Like any protection it's there just as an insurance and a matter of preference.

Back