Are we going to see a new gen Cosmo?

OGC

First is greetings to every cosmo fanatics here, I am also the one who fell in love to this legendary car in the first sight.

I am not sure if the Cosmo marque has been dropped for good. I only heard that the next rotory car wil be called RX-9, not sure again if its a direct successor of the RX-8 or the revival of RX-7.

GT cars still have their market despite the financial crisis. And for greener rotary, Mazda 's got a hydrogen RX8 and the 3 rotor (is that a 20b?) Furai drinking E85. As far as I know the new gen rotary engine Mazda now developing will have higher displacement of 800cc per rotor and the engine block built by alloy for cleaner/more economical burn. So there will be an engine ready for a run.

I think the styling of the new cosmo could follow that of the well-accepted Mazda 6. Now what Mazda could add into her model range is a high performance coupe. Let us hope we can get crazy once again in the 2010s.

P.S. I found some car icons in the list of smileys, but there is no cosmo, what a pity!

Last edited:
G'day from DMRH

The JC Cosmo cost Mazda a fortune with it's mega expensive 3-rotor engine & many a Mazda exec have vowed "never again". Hindsight tells us that if the JC series was exported as originally intended (export name was to be RX-8) & proved profitable then it would have continued production like the long running FD series.

The JC was an indulgent product of the 1980's Japanese economic bubble that burst in the early 90's. Despite our enthusiam for these rare classics, Mazda are in it for the money so l doubt they would go that way again. Once bitten, twice shy may apply here unfortunately.

REgards

I would LOVE to see a new Cosmo, but I doubt that it is going to happen. I have been trying to find one since the first time I saw one. I fell in love when I found out what it was and did research on it.

This is as close as they have come in the last decade...

Mazda_Cosmo_21_02_30.jpg

Pity it was never released because I would have bought it. (drinks)

Yeah I think they will stick with the RX8 name.

I also doubt they will sell a 3 rotor engine any time soon. The 16X will work well and if they want to make more power they can stick a turbo on it. Apparently the 16X has more torque than the 13B at the same RPM. The 20B has great torque even in NA form. So a 3 rotor version of the 16X would be a 24X and I'm sure that would be very nice.

However, if the 16X does everything better than the 13B Renesis, then I doubt they will find a point to sell a 24X.

In recent years, well since 2000 at least, from what I have seen, the 4 cylinder engines have been seeing a lot of R&D. A huge chunk of Mazda's current lineup is 4 cylinder. Honda do a bunch of 4 cylinder. VW have a bunch of 4cylinder with and without turbos and some diesel. So thats where the tech has been heading. Gone is the early 90s tech of more cylinders and more power.

Mazda had a bunch of V6 engines, the KL series, seen in the 626, MX6 and the 800. The 929 had a V6 (3.0L I think). VW had there VR6 engines. The glory days of nice engines that ran smooth was the early 90s :(

But, I have seen in the last week NEW cars with 2.5L V6 engines. So all the R&D to reduce fuel consumption and emmissions for those 4 cylinder engines is now being applied to larger engines. I think I saw a new Mitsubishi sedan with a 2.5L V6, maybe it was a toyota. Anyway, if the car companies are using their 4 cylinder tech to make efficient V6 engines. Then maybe... just maybe Mazda will do that too!

I'd love to see a new equivalent of a 800M.

So on one hand I struggle to find a market that Mazda could sell their 24X to, unless they make another super car (the JC was a super car ;) ) then I don't think they will give us a new 3 rotor engine.

On the other hand, we may see a resurgence of more complex engines, like a V6 or 3 rotor.

This is as close as they have come in the last decade...

Mazda_Cosmo_21_02_30.jpg

Pity it was never released because I would have bought it. (drinks)

The "Cosmo-21" as it was marketed at the time

Based on an NB MX-5 with a highly modified body kit & a (pre-RX-8) 13B-MSP engine. It was always to be a "Marketing excercise" & at the time (2001) there was a little talk about limited production but hindsight shows it never happened.

REgards

Back