Apple Carplay - and other questions as a (slightly frustrated) CX-5 newbie owner...

Reidster1

:
CX-5 Grand Touring
Hey all, I'm brand new to the forum here. I just bought a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring. I'm digging it so far (driving-wise), but do have some slight frustrations with it and wondering if it's all user error - or if anyone has some advice. Before I get into that, I'd like to ask about Carplay...

Has anyone done the retrofit - and do you love it? How much did you pay for labor? I'm not sure how much I can really shop around on that. But my local dealer where I bought it is quoting "around $450" total. $199 for Carplay - so another $250-ish for labor. Is that about right?

Onto the frustrations - some of which I'm actually hoping Carplay may fix. But I'm not sure...

1. Once I get in the car with my phone, the voice command on the phone and vehicle both suck...really bad. I typically speak directions into my iphone on Google Maps and it works like a charm. When the phone connects with the car, it turns into 20 year old technology. My phone can't understand a single thing I'm saying. It's really odd and frustrating. Anyone else?

2. Same deal with trying to call with voice command. Two things: 1. Voice command doesn't understand who I'm trying to call. (I speak very clearly). 2. I'm not sure where the car is "grabbing" my contacts, but it's not from my phone, I guess. It doesn't have contacts to choose from on the screen (or voice command) who are clearly in my phone! WTF?

I'm wondering if Carplay will fix this?

From there...

12v Charger: I have a 12v charger I used for years in my old car (that actually had a cigarette lighter!). It doesn't work in my Mazda. Why on earth would that be? I don't know that I need it. The USB ports seem to work fine. But I just don't know why a perfectly good 12v charger won't work in this Mazda.

Lift Gate: Not a big deal, but can you not open the lift gate while the car is parked and running from the driver's seat? Mine won't open. Maybe a safety thing? Annoying.

I think that's enough for now! I've got some other little things I'll think of and post another time.

Thanks for any advice on any of these subjects.

Reid

I just had the retrofit done at $399. What youre quoted is within the normal range Im assuming it varies based on local labor rates.

IMO its totally worth it. All the apps except Waze understand me fine. Im assuming the problem with Waze is just Waze and its just glitchy even just using the app stand alone on the phone. CarPlay is significantly more responsive than the equivalent stuff on Mazda Connect.

You have to unlock the car to open the power lift gate. The car needs to be in park too IIRC.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I got Carplay installed today. It'll take some learning, but I'm already happier with it. Was able to make a call and call up navigation much easier. And it actually understood me! Evidently, they also updated Mazda's own "Connect" software (or whatever it's called), so maybe that performs a little better on its own as well.

Carplay was not cheap - $471 parts/labor + tax. We'll see if it's worth it. A few people won't be getting Christmas gifts this year. (rlaugh)

Regarding the 12v charger - evidently the charger I'm using just doesn't work in the car. Nothing wrong with the 12v "ports" in the car. No big deal. I'm using USB anyway at this point.

Thanks again.

In response to your question about the lift gate. You can open it, just have to unlock the car first. Im guessing its a safety thing, I had the same issue when I first got mine.

In response to your question about the lift gate. You can open it, just have to unlock the car first. Im guessing its a safety thing, I had the same issue when I first got mine.

Thanks, I'll have to play around with this. The times I've tried, the car is in "park" and I've got my driver's side door open. But I guess I have to unlock the whole car to make that happen?

By the way, do you (or does anyone) know how to lock all of the doors from the lift gate? (Or just rear of the car). May not be possible. I saw some video online where a guy pressed a little round button to lock the doors from the lift gate. I found (what I think is) that little button...but it's just a little plastic plug or something. Didn't do a thing for me. (Maybe he was pranking us). :)

I'd love to lock the car from the back without having to dig for my fob.

Thanks,
Reid

Back