Apple Car Play

Let me be more specific..

with cell phone service you also have to expect a data provider breach that could potentially stop/start your your car by an unauthorized person.

I bet the real cost for the cell access with so little data is about $5 a year.

But you're also paying the 3rd party that you're using for the starter service, not unlike paying for ink cartridges 20x what they're actually cost to make :)

$14 for "lifetime" of data, however mind you this company still has to make money,
so you know the networks charge them much less. There's very little data used
between your car if it's just used for remote starting ... of course these companies
probably send much more data that's not needed that simply spies on your car

Remote starting could even be achieved with encrypted text messages, very little data.

Technically that particular company needs a $14 refill every year, but you get the idea :)

I'd like to see credible sources for each claim you made in the first post and the bolded point you made in your second post. As it stands, without credible sources, those statements are hard to believe and should not be taken seriously IMO.

Let me be more specific..

I'd like to see credible sources for each claim you made in the first post and the bolded point you made in your second post. As it stands, without credible sources, those statements are hard to believe and should not be taken seriously IMO.

Well besides the obvious information, like DTC codes being sent (which is a feature / addon),
the data will include speeds you drive at, how hard you drive, your location, g sensor data,
and that would be transmitted to them whether or not you subscribe to these extra services.

The above is for Dronemobile, if they have access to OBD data, they have access to a lot of stuff.

One their privacy policy (now this is your cell phone where you have the app installed)
they also list that they collect information about websites you visit, strange but whatever :)

And my first post about 4G being phased out at some point is just common knowledge,
it will eventually happen,- but I'm sure we're probably looking at 10 year or so anways.

Well besides the obvious information, like DTC codes being sent (which is a feature / addon),
the data will include speeds you drive at, how hard you drive, your location, g sensor data,
and that would be transmitted to them whether or not you subscribe to these extra services.

The above is for Dronemobile, if they have access to OBD data, they have access to a lot of stuff.

One their privacy policy (now this is your cell phone where you have the app installed)
they also list that they collect information about websites you visit, strange but whatever :)

And my first post about 4G being phased out at some point is just common knowledge,
it will eventually happen,- but I'm sure we're probably looking at 10 year or so anways.

.... I'll ask one more time. I'd like to see credible sources for each claim you made in the first post and the bolded point you made in your second post (quoted in the first post on this page).

You stated that you "have to expect" a data breach that could "potentially stop/start your car". Why do you have to expect a data breach? If a data breach has occurred, have cars actually been started/stopped as a result of the breach (whether intentional or not)?

Do you have any credible sources for how cheap you think it really costs to provide the data/service?

I'm sure these companies have their reasons for collecting the info they do. Since you're insinuating that they may be doing it with questionable intent, I want to know what evidence you have to prove that.

.... I'll ask one more time. I'd like to see credible sources for each claim you made in the first post and the bolded point you made in your second post (quoted in the first post on this page).

You stated that you "have to expect" a data breach that could "potentially stop/start your car". Why do you have to expect a data breach? If a data breach has occurred, have cars actually been started/stopped as a result of the breach (whether intentional or not)?

Do you have any credible sources for how cheap you think it really costs to provide the data/service?

I'm sure these companies have their reasons for collecting the info they do. Since you're insinuating that they may be doing it with questionable intent, I want to know what evidence you have to prove that.

Any online service such as this can be breached and eventually will get breached,
but there's no more danger than your phone submitting all your GPS locations,
and address books to facebook. If a breach happens then someone may gain
access to your GPS locations, or will just be able to start / unlock your car.

That isn't the end of the world,- I don't know if a car can be shut down while
driving with one of these apps, I don't have one to test, but it's easy to test.
I'm not saying I wouldn't use a service like that, since it's convenient,
but I'm just saying there's an RF alternative to a connected service like this.

Have they not been exploited before?

I did post some info about how cheap data access can be, above ...

I didn't say any data is collected for questionable reasons, only that it is :)

I'm sure cell phone companies charge quite a bit per active SIM,
otherwise they would be foolish to charge $5 a year for a service
knowing that a car starter company will turn that into $120 a year.

We all know avg. data in Canada/USA is over 100x more expensive than
in some countries, for example India pays 9 cents, vs. $12 for Canada

Last edited:
I didn't say any data is collected for questionable reasons, only that it is :)

Your words..

of course these companies probably send much more data that's not needed that simply spies on your car ...

I'm sure cell phone companies charge quite a bit per active SIM, otherwise they would be foolish to charge $5 a year for a service knowing that a car starter company will turn that into $120 a year.

We all know avg. data in Canada/USA is over 100x more expensive than in some countries, for example India pays 9 cents, vs. $12 for Canada

What does the link you posted have to do with anything? India pays 9 cents per gig because of the intense market competition. It's explained in the article you quoted. It has nothing to do with the price of data for a mobile remote start subscription in Canada or the US.

It looks like the remote start subscription from DroneMobile is $5/month if you go with a 1 year subscription. According to this link, the average monthly cost of a call phone plan with 10gb of data is about $56 (in the US). Now, you're probably right that DroneMobile uses a lot less than 1GB of data a month to perform the services they offer, but they are a business. They have employees to pay, overhead, they need to make a profit, etc. For a lot of people, paying a premium for a monthly subscription service that is more feature-laden than a high-range RF starter is no big deal.

It's great to know that there are other available options, but it isn't necessary to make it sound like mobile remote start companies are these seedy criminals who overcharge their customers and "spy" on everything you do.

Anyway, we've taken this conversation way off topic (sorry Panther). Back on track please.

LOL well I think I gleaned all the info ;-) It still irritates the Hell out of me that I even
have to do this. But it's just the way things are.

Appreciate everyone's help and thoughts !!! Take Care, Be Safe out There !!!

CK

I will say my Remote Starter was considered long range in 2016. It's 1200 feet. For perspective... that's 4 football fields. Now obviously that's unobstructed. But I've been absolutely blown away by how far away mine reaches.

I have drone mobile on my wife’s car and mine. I got it during a BF sale and paid $150 each for 5 years. At $5 per month for both cars, I really like the functionality.

I like that my wife can leave work and walk to her car with the exterior lights on and at a comfortable temperature. I use it pretty much everywhere I can.

I have drone mobile on my wife’s car and mine. I got it during a BF sale and paid $150 each for 5 years. At $5 per month for both cars, I really like the functionality.

I like that my wife can leave work and walk to her car with the exterior lights on and at a comfortable temperature. I use it pretty much everywhere I can.

Wow that's a good deal! A price like that would have been hard to walk away from.

Back