anyone thought of making their car RWD?

is it possible to do that? Don't know that much about cars. If that is possible then is it possible to make our cars AWD?

with enough money, anything is possibe. s***, there putting small blocks in hatchback focus. im with jred321 though, if you wanted rwd, should have bought a different car.

if you got the time and money to fabricate a rwd drivetrain for the car, more power to you......
but for that money, why not buy an s2000, and supercharge it.

there are a ton of problems know matter what drivetrain you use. first off where will you put the drive shaft and tranny, that will take up alot of room inside the cabin. second, you'll have to totally reconfigure your suspension to make up for the changes in weight distrubution. stock the car sits low enough that im sure to make the thing work you'll have to raise your car to provide clearence for the diff. and drive shaft, not to mention the oil pan. i could just see a protege rolling around with a tub back end, narrowed diff. and a ******* carb sticking through the hood. lol

nmaino said:
Because, a S2000 does not have four doors. Why not use a Miata drivetrain?

point was, that for the difference in price of an s2k to an MSP.. about 10grand, you could make the MSP rwd, or just supercharge the s2k, on top of the price difference.
I was exagerating a bit, but ive read up on the civic awd conversion using the accord awd/crv awd drivetrain, it was in the thousands for fab/labor/parts, and the gains in performance were minimal....

point: NOT WORTH IT for the trouble.. spend the money on something else.

Last edited:
Generally the engines are oriented differently for fwd and rwd cars. I'm not sure how our motor is oriented, but I'd guess you'd probably have to rotate the engine 90 degrees to convert it to fwd... interesting idea though!

for da money that u could do it with, might as well buy an Evo...but that said, i guess itd be possible, its just having the money to do it...

Skids said:
Generally the engines are oriented differently for fwd and rwd cars. I'm not sure how our motor is oriented, but I'd guess you'd probably have to rotate the engine 90 degrees to convert it to fwd... interesting idea though!

Yea, the motor for fwd cars is left to right, and for rwd, is front to back, thats because of where the transmission, and drivetrain have to point. For the conversion, you wouldnt necisarily have to move the engine, but you would have to find a way to get the driveshaft spinning... there are ways, but i forget what the part is called... they used one on monster garage when they made the Ambulance into a Wheelie Monster..

KyRaceFan said:
Yea, the motor for fwd cars is left to right, and for rwd, is front to back, thats because of where the transmission, and drivetrain have to point. For the conversion, you wouldnt necisarily have to move the engine, but you would have to find a way to get the driveshaft spinning... there are ways, but i forget what the part is called... they used one on monster garage when they made the Ambulance into a Wheelie Monster..

I think what you are talking about is a PTO shaft (power-take-off)
Remember the sport 20 in japan is awd so I don't think a conversion would be that hard to rwd. If you look at the undercarriage you will notice that our exhaust pipe runs down the exact center of the car which could eliminate a lot of cutting into the frame. It would be large enought to fit both the exhaust pipe as well as the driveshaft. The only problem(which isn't really a problem) would be relocating the fuel tank. You could of course just get a fuel cell instead. The other problems would be finding a donor for a rear axle. I think the hardest part would be figuring out how to do the suspension

i dont know why yall are hating on him... i think its a great idea. tell me everyinge in the crowds boxers will fill with s*** when you pull up in a mazdaspeed and do a rear wheeled burn out. it would be sooo worth it for the time and money. you would be hte only one in the world with a rear-wheeled msp. go for it man!!!!

what hating is there? everyone is simply pointing out the fact that doing anything as crazy as this will fail the M3 test

cost of msp + mods + custom RWD/AWD conversion = cost more than M3

there will be many custom engineering involved in making the car stay together, and not to mention the car won't ever drive the same again... as a matter of fact, I bet you the car won't handle as good as the many good RWD cars out there

so WHY?

buy a RWD car instead

nattyboy513 said:
i dont know why yall are hating on him... i think its a great idea. tell me everyinge in the crowds boxers will fill with s*** when you pull up in a mazdaspeed and do a rear wheeled burn out. it would be sooo worth it for the time and money. you would be hte only one in the world with a rear-wheeled msp. go for it man!!!!

If this comes off sounding harsh, I apologize in advance. :) I don't mean any harm...that said....

I spent the last 10 years in the MS Protege handling equivalent (Miata - both generations) and have NEVER owned a FWD car until two weeks ago when I bought the Protege.

The reason I bought the Protege was simple - advertised as the BEST handling FWD car possibly on the planet - especially at this price.

I haven't been disappointed. I knew the potential pitfalls going in - torque steer, front-heaviness, and a few others. I have to say that this car is quite simply amazing in STOCK form for under 20K. I haven't skipped a beat in the roadhandling dept., the fuel mileage is great, the extra power (remember: I had a Miata) is great, being able to carry more than 1 passenger..hell, I could go on....

The only drawback I've found so far is the "unwanted" attention I've been getting in the car. I seem to attract the biggest a-holes known to man. Before, no one gave a s**t about my "girly" Miatas. This hopped-up econobox ticks people off for reasons I can't fathom. ;)

On edit: In essence, no. Don't waste the money converting it. If you want RWD, there are a number of great options out there. This car was built with a purpose - I believe (even with the reported problems) that Mazda has MORE than fulfilled the purpose.

This is NOT a 1/4 car. Never has been - never should be. If that's all it is to you, you're missing the point. The entire Mazda "sports" lineup is geared for road/autocross racing.

Last edited:
y'all have good points, thanks for sharing! and u guys have a point there, going RWD is really damn expensive and in a way.. unneccessary, i was going to sleep last night and i just thought of the idea.

But i wouldnt buy a s2k for anything, what's the point? it's a honda, i'm not saying honda cant perform, s*** they're some sweet ass machines...

but there's no point to sup up a honda, everyone has one. Chances are your next door neighbor has the same car with the same mods. I wanna fix my car so that people "oO u see that?!", i dont want people to go "oO u see that?!" "dude, both my neighbors has the same car with the same rims and exhaust, no big deal."

But hondas are sweet machines no doubt

Back