Anyone paint the plastic wheel wells yet?

I was worried about that as well, so I was actually thinking about getting black vinyl wrap for the plastic parts. It will protect and I also think it will look better cause the original parts in certain views and lighting condition looks more grayish then black.

I've been thinking about this pretty hard.
I've ordered some samples to see how it will look. Thinking that if I do a black gloss wrap on the top, might as well match the window pillars as well.

The black plastic look was a positive for me. I didn't even realize that it makes the side profile look better, but it makes perfect sense. To me the well designed (IMHO) black plastic says "hey c'mon man, take me for a drive, don't worry about those gravel roads or a little mud from a fireroad, let's go have some fun!". I like to think my CX-5 would have a positive attitude like that lol.

I plan on beating this car up a little bit over the years and I understand it'll show a little of that abuse. I think a 7-10 year old SUV with a good amount of chips and dings is the sign of 7-10 well spent years! Having said that, I'll be taking good care of this thing, but I'm not afraid of a scratch or 5.

Agree 100% Again why I'm thinking vinyl vice paint. Easier and cheaper to fix.

I've been thinking about this pretty hard.
I've ordered some samples to see how it will look. Thinking that if I do a black gloss wrap on the top, might as well match the window pillars as well.

Agree 100% Again why I'm thinking vinyl vice paint. Easier and cheaper to fix.

Let me know how it goes and if you can post some pictures, that would be great too!

I was planing on putting gloss black vinyl on the roof as well to match the glass, but I was thinking of going with satin black wrap for the plastic parts. I think it will give a good contrast to the metallic paint without being too dull.

When ever the samples show up I'll see what looks good.
If I had the sunroof I would the roof as well, but I didn't like the bose system.

Found this today while looking for LED DRL options

2q1hti1.jpg

1686cz9.jpg

Found this today while looking for LED DRL options

2q1hti1.jpg

1686cz9.jpg

I see they color matched the plastic fenders and bumpers. May have installed black film on roof and mirrors. Looks like metal mesh grille inserts behind the bumper. Also the bumpers "appear" to have cut-out holes for the LEDs.

Second look it looks like a plain candy white next to the Pearl white.

Agreed. I thought it was color matched at first.
It wasn't untiil I read your post and looked up again when I saw it was different.

I drive on gravel roads regularly going to fishing spots and like the plastic trim...it protects the paint from rock chips and on my liquid silver CX I think it looks especially good. However, that Aussie one does look very nice.

Second look it looks like a plain candy white next to the Pearl white.

My guess is that it has been wrapped with vinyl. Looks bad but the LED "fairy lights" are distracting enough to make the mismatch a bit less obvious. While it could have been sprayed, I don't think anyone would remove and properly prep the plastic and then use a rattle can that didn't match.

On the other hand, Plasti-Dip makes a white. It's cheap and prep-free and if the owner got tired of it they can peel it off without damaging the trim.

I think that if you're happy with the black trim, covering it with a quality vinyl like 3M Scotchcal can give the trim a great protective advantage that you can (depending on the film finish) wax. If the film gets damaged it's easily replacable, and when you sell the car tossing the film will give you as new a surface as possible.

I'm getting a Sport MT, which is limited to three colors. I'll probably go with silver and have been looking into wrapping the whole car, including the trim with the best film available in white, red, or a burnt-orange (copper).

Painted or wrapped, matching or not, my conclusion is the smooth glossy trim looks far more upscale than the factory finish we get. Would be interested in seeing it done in gloss black, but my guess is it would look good.

Thinking of gloss or matallic black. Somebody mentioned they were thinking satin.

I ordered samples of all three: glosss, metallic, and satin. I'll post pictures up to see how they look once I get them in.

Thanks!
I posted a few pics in my playing with vinyl thread.
I had Gloss and Metallic. I could go either way. I think the metallic would go great with the White Pearl Paint as it continues that sparkly theme in the vinyl.

Another possibility is to use a contrasting film (or paint). Volvo has offered a variety of contrasting colors for the factory body kit on the C30, particularly in Europe.

C30%20028v2.jpg

Back