Anyone know whats wrong with my car?

MSP-Ralfi said:
Ok i have greddy sp2 , apex dp , injen cai , and joe p mbc

Now when I step on the car its like the turbo spools loud...it blows off loud the stock bpv is loud....and it sounds nice but the mbc doesnt work and the car when it goes into boost doesnt pull at all , it sort of feels like the car just wants to take off and somethings holding back u feel the car wanna pull but it just doesnt go anywhere its like the turbo isnt even kicking in its just making noise....so i was guesing maybe a hose was loose or something like that but i check and all the hoses are right??? any suggestion what this could be ? Anyone expirience the same thing ?

Hose Poped Off...

Woowoo.gif

Spooled said:
I would try resetting the ECU (disconnect the negative wire from the battery for 5-10 minutes to make sure) like the others have said. If that doesn't make a difference, you may have bigger issures. If the turbo is spooling and showing 10 psi, then there is more-than-likely a fuel ratio problem. The clutch COULD be slipping, but your RPM's would go up without your speed going up in relation rather than just feeling like the engine isn't pulling.

Last thing: I wonder if there could be a throttle body issue. The butterfly could maybe not be openning far enough, therefore allowing the boost but not the airflow. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Most of what you said IMO is (shrug)

ECU Reset...
FUEL...
Throttlebody? WTF?

If the turbo sounds louder than normal. Its working harder than normal. You have a leak somewhere or for some reason your MBC is pooched. I'd say the Hose Leak should be your number one check...

I ran into this same problem recently,and it seems to be just a problem with the controller
mine was working fine,then after a hard run I heard a wierd sound(like a hose poping off).
after pulling over to inspect I found nothing wrong.went to drive,and I had the same symtoms as you.I disconected my controler,and took it back to the shop.

once i was at the shop i looked for any leaks with a propane vac leak tester,but found nothing.
what controller are you useing? i had the turboXS high performance.

I agree with Brian that it's most likely a leak somewhere. Just trying to cover any possibility. The throttlebody was just an idea based on the turbo pushing 10 psi, but not all the air getting into the cylinders (ie - full boost at partial throttle).

The controller shouldn't be the cause for it. All it's capable of doing is allowing more boost. Even if it failed completely, it would either run at stock boost (allowing all the pressure to the wastegate accuator), or your boost would shoot through the roof (if the controller was leaking or popped off, therefore not allowing the pressure to open the wastegate).

If you still think it's your boost controller, take it off and see if the car still has the problem. If it fixes it, then you know its the boost controller. However, I'm 95% sure it isn't the problem since you are getting the boost you want.

^^^ exactly what I was thinking.

I have this same problem, below 4,500 RPMs. Then around 5000 the car comes alive and pulls like crazy. I seem to get cleaner pulls at patrial throttle, around 2-4psi, than I do when flooring at at 6psi. To me that means too much fuel and has been a common problem with these cars for a long time.

Although I am in an un-flashed 03 and you are in a 3.5 which should have the advanced timing so this may not be your problem.

If you are going to take it somewhere have them hook up a wideband. You'll probably find you are running very rich. If so, a good AFC will fix this for you.

Last edited:
Spooled said:
I agree with Brian that it's most likely a leak somewhere. Just trying to cover any possibility. The throttlebody was just an idea based on the turbo pushing 10 psi, but not all the air getting into the cylinders (ie - full boost at partial throttle).

The controller shouldn't be the cause for it. All it's capable of doing is allowing more boost. Even if it failed completely, it would either run at stock boost (allowing all the pressure to the wastegate accuator), or your boost would shoot through the roof (if the controller was leaking or popped off, therefore not allowing the pressure to open the wastegate).

it's not going to be a leak,because my boost gauge is hooked up to manifold vac,showing that the mani is presurizing.
this is ******* buggin me.

i had the same problem with a flashed car stock and is making me crazy LOL i feel that my kia is faster than my msp that sucks .Anyone knows what is that problem?

TX Speed Demon said:
^^^ exactly what I was thinking.

I have this same problem, below 4,500 RPMs. Then around 5000 the car comes alive and pulls like crazy. I seem to get cleaner pulls at patrial throttle, around 2-4psi, than I do when flooring at at 6psi. To me that means too much fuel and has been a common problem with these cars for a long time.

Although I am in an un-flashed 03 and you are in a 3.5 which should have the advanced timing so this may not be your problem.

If you are going to take it somewhere have them hook up a wideband. You'll probably find you are running very rich. If so, a good AFC will fix this for you.

I thought both model years of the msp needed a reflash. I have an 03.5 and brought it to the dealer to get that performed. WTF?

Spooled said:
Oops, didn't see that you posted it going to 10 psi. Disregard my last post....
even with a boost leak u can still build up boost.
my car had acrack on the recirculating nipple on stock pipes.
still boosted, but i felt no power.

Drumfreak said:
I thought both model years of the msp needed a reflash. I have an 03.5 and brought it to the dealer to get that performed. WTF?

They are supposed to have it, but I choose not to. The flash just advances the timing to compensate for too much fuel. This however is problamatic when combined with advaced boost levels. I plan to raise the boost to compensate for too much fuel, in which case having the stock retarded timing would be safer for my application.

This is pretty much the same problem i have been asking about for about a month, but i still haven't got it figured out. I left my car at spd so they could try some things but it still does this same thing. I am taking the car to airflowlogistics today and hopefully they can sort out the problem as well as adding DSM's new secret. (Sorry john)

ok thanks, now my only questions was did it do it all the time or only occasionaly like mine does?

Back