Anyone experience exhaust clearance problem (vibration noise) with Curt hitch?

:
23 CX-5 Premium
Took me a while to figure it out because it is intermittent, but I believe there is a clearance issue where the frame attachment members of the curt hitch pass over the exhaust pipe on either side of the muffler. There's only about 1/4" clearance at this point (at least on my car) and when I'm going up a steep hill under power my suspicion is there is enough rearward movement in the system to bring it into contact with the fixed hitch. Result is a rather nasty/raspy vibration that you can actually modulate a bit with the throttle. I discovered a local hill that I can consistently recreate the sound. This morning I loosened the four mounting bolts and shifted the hitch around to create a bit more clearance, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. In the meantime, was just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues of this sort with the Curt unit.

Yes, me too. It is driving me nuts, and i cannot get it to stop. I need to call them!

I have Class 2 Curt also, I havent driven a steep incline yet or one that I can go slow on to notice/check

I have Class 2 Curt also, I havent driven a steep incline yet or one that I can go slow on to notice/check
My suggestion is to go up the incline under power at as fast a clip as permissable. That's when mine does it worst.

My suggestion is to go up the incline under power at as fast a clip as permissable. That's when mine does it worst.

You mean i should go as fast as i can? and how steep are we talking about? There's some hills here I can try it on.

Please post any findings or tips Curt has for you. My Curt class II is still in the box awaiting install.

I have class III Curt hitch and I don't have any problems with hitch hitting the muffler.

I have the class II hitch and when I first installed it I also had vibration. There is a bit of adjustment in that the bolts are slightly smaller than the holes in the hitch frame. Loosen all the bolts just a bit (4 I believe). Push the hitch frame back as you retighten the bolts. That solved my problem.

You mean i should go as fast as i can? and how steep are we talking about? There's some hills here I can try it on.
All you need to do is find a reasonably steep grade to go up at a brisk clip with the trans dropped down a gear or two. Don't just amble up in 6th gear. If it's gonna do it, those are the conditions it's most likely to.

I have the class II hitch and when I first installed it I also had vibration. There is a bit of adjustment in that the bolts are slightly smaller than the holes in the hitch frame. Loosen all the bolts just a bit (4 I believe). Push the hitch frame back as you retighten the bolts. That solved my problem.
You mean "back" towards the rear of the car? That's what I did and it seemed to create a little more clearance. Will try it out on "my hill" today.

Can you post pictures of the clearance?
Never done this before; hope it works. Contact point I'm referring to is on the top of the tailpipe where the black "tang" passes over and behind it. Picture shows driver side, but it's the same on the passenger side and it sounds like my noise is coming from the passenger side. Right now I have about 3/8" clearance.

Attachments

• curt.jpg
    curt.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Never done this before; hope it works. Contact point I'm referring to is on the top of the tailpipe where the black "tang" passes over and behind it. Picture shows driver side, but it's the same on the passenger side and it sounds like my noise is coming from the passenger side. Right now I have about 3/8" clearance.

Thanks a lot. That's pretty close.

I will keep that in mind when I'm installing my class III this week.

Just went up my favorite hill to test the cure and it appears to have worked, although I won't be 100% sure until I can make 2-3 runs total under different speeds/conditions. I will try to forward this thread to Curt customer service so that they will be aware of this issue.

Class 2, but I think they're both pretty much the same.
Kelseyx: Did you try making any adjustments?

Hi there. I have tried adjusting it. Still no luck. At one point thought it was cured......but no. I did call Curt today and the female representative i spoke to suggested i go to Mazda and buy a part to raise the mufller. She did say that it does happen in some cars, but not others?:-(

Paris1,

I noticed that from etrailers website, the class III receiver has curvy feature for exhaust clearance. I confirmed that mine has that feature too.

Class III
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2014/C13127.html?vehicleid=20148678

Mine
IMG_0752.jpg

Class II receiver doesn't have that. And looking at your picture, it seems like it doesn't have either.

Class II
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2014/C12080.html?vehicleid=2014308720

Can you confirm this?

BTW, your receiver looks different from either Curt or etrailers website. Maybe they revised it?

Last edited:
Hi there. I have tried adjusting it. Still no luck. At one point thought it was cured......but no. I did call Curt today and the female representative i spoke to suggested i go to Mazda and buy a part to raise the mufller. She did say that it does happen in some cars, but not others?:-(
Raising the muffler is exactly the opposite of what you'd want to do as it would put the tailpipe in even closer proximity to the hitch. Sounds like they don't understand the problem.

Hwibowo: My hitch looks more similar to your 13127 (from what I can see in your photo) than the 12080 on Curt's web site. I suspect they've made more than one running change to these designs as I don't see any picture that looks identical to mine. All of this seems kind of academic at this point. Just be sure you get as much clearance as possible over and behind the tailpipes and keep a happy thought.

Back