anyone ever used acetone to boost mpg?

SoonP5ismine

Contributor
:
2003.5 MP5 Laser Blue Automatic (SOLD)
i seen a video on you tube that shows a 10mpg increase in mileage by adding pure acetone to each tank full. don't remember the amount but it looked like half a standard size coffee mug. im also wondering if this will in anyway hurt the engine or oxygen sensors in the long run. if this acetone is really cheap im considering getting some as in the video it was mentioned you can get it in a health and beauty supply store.

The guys on Mythbusters tried it and actually lost a little mpg... not enough to be statistically significant.
I think their car got 18mpg on gas, 16 on the mixture...

Anyways, acetone is a solvent, and I just don't think it's a good idea to pour that in my car, but you're free to do it if you feel like it.
Acetone is the primary ingredient in nail-polish remover. And while it will burn and is a high-octane material, it’s also a very powerful solvent. So while it’s in your fuel system, it’ll be eagerly dissolving all of your rubber components ... like gaskets and O-rings. And if you spill any on your paint while pouring it in the gas tank, it will eat through paint like it's a cheeseburger. There are also a couple of rumors also that acetone will kill your injectors.

Here's an article I found from ABC Channel with some engineers actually testing it out: http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=resources/auto&id=3951510
You can also look for the mythbusters episode on their website or youtube, I'm too lazy to look it up.
-->Aside from having no effect on mileage, acetone could actually do harm by damaging hoses and fittings. Carmakers don't like acetone either.
-->"If they know you did it, they could void the warranty," Davis warned.

Last edited:
I would think THREE times before exposing that to the fuel system. What is the impact on gaskets and seals?

Not worth the risk IMHO.

yeah this reminds me that even with fuel injector cleaners you want to not exceed the dosage, plus try and run them through in short order on a trip, not parking for weeks with it in the line. I think the plastic in the injectors is particularly vulnerable.

Acetone is a solvent. Solvents eat rubber. Anything that comes in contact with acetone or others (paint thinner, xylene, toluene) that is made of rubber will essentially melt.

Fuel injector cleaners don't eat rubber. They basically are petroleum products (not by-products) that simply re-liquify the deposits in the engine. And since these deposits are made from gasoline, that's what they are. A typical fuel system cleaner slowly re-liquifies this stuff and it simply gets burned off as fuel, since that's what it is. All of these products on the market are perfectly safe to run in our cars.

Our injectors are not at any risk. Ever heard of Chevron's Techron? They already pre-treat their fuels with fuel system cleaner. It's perfectly safe. I use Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil. Both are great products.

Last edited:
I tried it with slightly different amounts. I had a syringe thingy (without the needle) to try different amounts each fill up. I tried between 5ml and 50ml and didn't notice any improvement in gas mileage.

Back