Anyone else into Bodybuilding / Weightlifting?

I am big on fitness and emphasize it every day at work as a phys. therapy tech. I have been working out for 5 years straight with only break if I was sick, surgery, or taking a week off between programs (which is 6-8 week increments). I am tall and on the thin side still, but have made noticeable gains compared on how skinny I used to be. Although progress is slow (no thanks to my genetics), but I have been very disciplined in working out and changing programs around to keep shocking my muscles. (poke)

xelderx said:
Thanks...I guess I should mention that I'm Vegan. That doesn't help much either, huh? I'm trying to work more protien into my meals through beans and soy products. It gets soo expensive though. Thanks for the help.
Try Mens Health magazines, books on working out, and also their website. They have the most unbiased research and give you the truth as to what products, nutrition, and IMO "real world" ideas and programs. Other good resources are Muscle & Fitness, Men's Fitness, and Flex for any one hard core in to body building. But those tend to be more biased than MH (blah)

On a different line, what's you favourite body part to train?

Biceps and chest for me.

Chest routine - Although I slightly modify my routine every week to keep my body stimulated, here's an example of it:

#1 - Reversed angle (45 degrees / head down): 3 sets of 8-10 reps
#2 - 45 degree incline, dumbell presses: 3 sets of 8 reps
#3 - Dumbell flys on flat bech: 3 sets of 8 reps
#4 - Cable flys: 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps

Every 4 weeks, I completely turn it around. I start wih a different exercise and completely change at least one of 'em. Every week, I change angles / degrees of inclination.

Oh yeah.

I love bodybuilding--been doing it steadily now for a year or 2. I'm at 160lbs 5'4, with a 250lb max bench, 385lb deadlift, and 315lbs squat. For me, those numbers are good suggesting my size, plus the weight feels HEAVY for me!

Right now, I'm looking to cut more to around 145lb, getting a bit too bulky for me---I have huge legs and big pecs, but my bi's still lacking. Tris are very good. I guess coming from a Soccer family from the Philippines proves it's point.

My favorite body parts are Legs and Back---I love working out arms, in hope that I will get more peak in my bi's, but I have A LOT of length in them, when they're pumped hard, they almost go into my forearms!

Favorite bodybuilder? Sergio Oliva, THE MYTH.

damn

big_ben said:
I'm very big into weightlifting/power lifting. I'm not much into body building since I just don't have the genetics for it. But I'm light and can lift a crap load of weaight.

I weigh between 175 and 180lbs.

Bench press = 300lbs
Squat = 430lbs
Deadlift = 400lbs

My biceps are now larger than my neck too. (rofl)

Jeez your a monster! haha i'm 5'7 weigh 160, my max bench is 210 lbs right now only!

Wow, Ben came out of nowhere!

I used to lift, but I never got big. At my STRONGEST I was 6', 163lbs, and could bench 215 or so. I never got big, just really cut.

Now I'm about 175 and obviously weaker than before. So lame.

xelderx said:
My car is slow so I stay at minimun weight to make up for it. I weigh 143lbs and might be able to max my own body wieght if I had someone help me. I'm not sure what my problem is. I can eat a whole box of pasta by myself or a whole large pizza alone, but I can't gain any wieght. I go broke trying to buy food and I don't want to take any weird GNC supplements. I think somewhere in my DNA is the metabolism of a hummingbird.
I was the same way until somewhat recently. I'd eat like a glutton and lift 1.5 hours a day, never to gain a pound. I'd just get stronger.

But I think I found the perfect solution. Sit behind a desk all day. you'll gain a few pounds, regardless of them not being in the best spot. :)

PFUNK5 said:
I love bodybuilding--been doing it steadily now for a year or 2. I'm at 160lbs 5'4, with a 250lb max bench, 385lb deadlift, and 315lbs squat. For me, those numbers are good suggesting my size, plus the weight feels HEAVY for me!

Right now, I'm looking to cut more to around 145lb, getting a bit too bulky for me---I have huge legs and big pecs, but my bi's still lacking. Tris are very good. I guess coming from a Soccer family from the Philippines proves it's point.

My favorite body parts are Legs and Back---I love working out arms, in hope that I will get more peak in my bi's, but I have A LOT of length in them, when they're pumped hard, they almost go into my forearms!

Favorite bodybuilder? Sergio Oliva, THE MYTH.
You are pretty much the same build as me, except you are probably more cut than I am. Especially if you weigh 160. That's my goal weight. I hope to be there by the end of July. I'm trying to go slow so I won't lose any strength. Those are pretty strong numbers you are putting up also.(thumb)

My favorite body part to work is usually chest and arms since I was really strong in chest and my arms are really big for my size. But for the last year, I have really gotten into legs. I'm now working out with 365lbs 8 to 10 reps, then two sets of 315lbs for 10 reps. Then I go to the sled and do three sets there. First set is 700lbs 10 times, second set is 710lbs 10 times, and third set is 720lbs 10 times. Then leg extention, leg curl, calves, then lunges. By the time I'm done, my vision is cloudy and everything gets realy quiet in my ears.(crazy) I'm getting to the point where my pants are tight on my quads.

There was a kid I grew up with that lived down the street that was into powerlifting. I had NO IDEA how strong he was. He was built like a fire hydrant - 5'7", 180lbs. I was talking to him one day when we were seniors in high school and he told me he could squat 680lbs. WHAT?! I think he had (still does?) the US record for his weight class and age. I think at one point he was up to like 750lbs. His legs were just freakishly strong. His brother was a powerlifter also, but quite a bit bigger. They just had good genetics (plus a lot of hard work).

So, I've been lifting weights, and until recently, kind of half-assed to mainly keep tone, but not grow bigger. Lately I've increased my weight so I can only do around 7 or 8 reps, and am focused on arms, chest etc. I really like the way I look for about an hour after my workout. That is the look I'm going for. I drink a protein shake after working out, and the next day after, usually working the same areas 2-3 times a week with a couple of days in between. What do I need to do to look like I do when I just finish lifting? Just keep at it?

Chris

DooMer_MP3 said:
So, I've been lifting weights, and until recently, kind of half-assed to mainly keep tone, but not grow bigger. Lately I've increased my weight so I can only do around 7 or 8 reps, and am focused on arms, chest etc. I really like the way I look for about an hour after my workout. That is the look I'm going for. I drink a protein shake after working out, and the next day after, usually working the same areas 2-3 times a week with a couple of days in between. What do I need to do to look like I do when I just finish lifting? Just keep at it?

Chris
My arms always look like I just worked out. The secret to large arms are triceps. Bicep growth is directly linked to tricep growth. One can grow larger without the other growing larger also. The secret to really making your triceps grow are dips. Your triceps are a muscle that can recover very fast. Not as fast as your abdominals or calves though.

I do 100 dips everyday I work out, no matter what body part I'm working out. Of course I didn't start at 100 dips right off the bat. I had to work up to it. But it didn't take long. Now I do 3 sets of 10 dips with the 45lb plate strapped to me. Then I do no weight up to 100. If it is chest day, I do dips with no weight so I'll have more energy for bench. But on chest day, I to 4 sets of dips, 40, 30, 20, 10. On days when I do the 45lb plate, I do 20, 15, 10, then w/ no weight, 20, 20, 15.

I never had large arms until I started doing dips everyday. ANd as your triceps get stronger, your bench will skyrocket.

Also, many people forget their forearms. Forearms are easy and quick. For the inside of the forearm, I use a 70lb barbell. I hold it with my fingertips behind my butt. Then simply roll the weight up and curl your wrist upward.

For the front of your forearms, I do the same thing, but in front. I squat down, rest my arms on my knees about 6" above my wrist. The curl your wrist toward the ceiling. I use a 30lb barbell for the front. (they are harder to do)

Whats up yall, umm i skimmed through and read that some of yall take creatine, If and when you stop taking that stuff your muscles will deplete,creatine adds water weight something that you dont want, its like a mirage your smaller than you look. You should take s*** like L-Glutamine pharmacutical strength. Glutamine is already in your body it heals your muscles after you work out, now if you take it before and after you work out (5 grams) your muscles will heal faster and youll be able to put more up in your next workout because your muscles arent so sore and weak. it makes a differance. oh and i bench 200 and im 160lbs..good but not great i just started back up again, id say 2-3 months ago.I havnt lifted since my senior year of highschool when i used to wrestle. And you guys that wanna lose wieght look into the animal products , animal cuts, s*** worked for me when i used to wrestle an di needed to lose weight, but that s*** had ephedra in it,its banned now i wouldnt know if the new s*** worked...but you canget the s*** with ephedra in it on ebay i just checked...but be warned youll feel like your on stackers all day, its a 21 day cycle

Last edited:
outONyou said:
Whats up yall, umm i skimmed through and read that some of yall take creatine, If and when you stop taking that stuff your muscles will deplete,creatine adds water weight something that you dont want, its like a mirage your smaller than you look.
Creatine is only a tool to help you grow more muscle. Creatine forces more water and blood into your muscles. (exact same thing that steroids do, but not as extreme) When this happens, your muscle energy can last longer and you can lift slightly more weight than usuall while working out. If you can last longer and lift more weight, you will grow more muscle. And that will not disappear when you get off the creatine.

Many people think the same thing you do though. And you are partially right. You do look larger while on creatine from the added water in your muscle. But when off creatine, you only lose the extra water, not the extra muscle you have gained because of it.

Creatine is very similar to steroids in that it forces extra fluid into their muscles. The main difference is what the fluid is made up of. With creatine, the fluid is more water. With steroids, the fluid is mainly blood. Men that are at the peak of their steroid cycles can carry a whole extra pint of blood in their bodies from the steroids forcing your body to make more blood. This is also why people that use steroids seriously also take shots of Vitamin B12 to raise their red blood cell count.

Last edited:
True. When getting off creatine, you don't lose the muscle tissue you built while using it, but you do lose size because of the water that "washes away" after.

This is why you're better off following a high protein diet while training, which will help stimulate your body to "create" more natural creatine....yes! Your body naturally produces creatine!

Hey, so I lift fairly regularly with some aerobic thrown in, but I really want to get the 6-pack going by summer- Currently I am 6'1" at about 175- I am using a caloric deficit, down to about 1000 cal/day- but although my chest& arms have virtually no fat, I definitely have some on my stomach... Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back