Any hacks to play DVDs on nav screen?

dedmiston

My wife is shopping for a CX-9 and wants to have the ability to play movies on the in-dash nav screen. (She wants to be entertained while I drive her on long trips.) I assume the nav hardware has a DVD reader for the nav data, so the hardware should be there. Has anyone successfully hacked the nav unit to play DVDs?

The ones I have seen...

The hacks I have read about involve gaining access to the rear of the nav unit and cutting and/or grounding certain colored wires. I have not seen any hacks for the CX-9, though. There are some aftermarket nav units that will play DVDs, but I do not know if they will play them while the car is in motion. If you insert a DVD into the nav unit, it will just sit there trying to read the disk. The software is the issue, I believe.

Sometimes (not sure if this applies to the Navigation system of the cx-9) but the nav system itself is run off of a DVD. So in essence you would need to take the Nav DVD out and possibly play a regular DVD. But I think its highly unlikely.

I don't think there are any hacks out there and if there are any it would void any type of warrenty so good luck in your hunt.

Just got it today.
Looks okay, but I need to talk to my installer guy.
Plan to use my video ipod and a mediagate 25P with it.

The Costco headrest screens go in later.

I'm anxious to hear more about some of these kits. Do they adapt the nav DVD hardware, or do they supply RCA inputs for you to connect your own external player?

Back