any 2016 owners get the mobile start app ?

i got a third-party viper SmartStart module installed on my CX-5 last year and like it (and slightly cheaper at $50/yr for a 3-yr subscription). if we need remotestart for our CX-9 i will likely do the same. the main downside is an extra keyfob for the remote start.

I was amped about it, until I realized the cost added $825 to the vehicle over a 5 year ownership.
I thought all you had to do was get the "free" app.
I park in a garage at home so it would only really be useful at work...providing a signal can get through the concrete parking garage.
For $825, I don't want to find out.

I'm shopping for a remote starter as well but definitely not the mobile start app from Mazda. Besides the poor reviews ,way too slow to respond and performance, it's way too expensive.

A great contender in my shopping list is the Fortin Evo-Mazt1. Surely within the budget for $129 and I can use my factory remote to start the engine. As far as installation goes, it's a plug and play but not entirely sure as I need to do more research. Instruction manual:

http://fortin.ca/en/download/35211/35211.pdf

This video showing one of the Evo installation on a Jeep Wrangler which is pretty much straight forward and I didn't see any wire cutting too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4RDqCFx7k

I talked to my dealer about this if they can help me with the installation and they said yes which is great. Also opened up the big question is if it could compromised any warranties and they said no. Not entirely sold about that warranty answer though.

So back to do more research and inquiries before buying this Evo-Mazt1.

I got the Mazda remote start installed as part of my Cx-9 purchase.

The first year of service is free. As i do not have experience with other remote starters i will have to say that this suffices for my wife for now. She is the primary driver of the car and she needs it cooled or heated before she heads home from work. It does the job.

When we go out on weekends i do use it before leaving the mall and avoiding a hot interior. The app allows the car to idle 10, 20 or 30 minutes.

Yes the remote start is slow. It takes about 15 seconds to log in. Another 20 seconds or so to start the car. If you want to start the car on the fly you may be disappointed of the delay. For example if you are walking to the car and forgot to start it earlier, you will find yourself not to bother as you have already reached the car.

i am sure there are better options, efficiency and cost wise but the wife wanted something factory from the dealer as opposed to aftermarket install.

I got the Mazda remote start installed as part of my Cx-9 purchase.

The first year of service is free. As i do not have experience with other remote starters i will have to say that this suffices for my wife for now. She is the primary driver of the car and she needs it cooled or heated before she heads home from work. It does the job.

When we go out on weekends i do use it before leaving the mall and avoiding a hot interior. The app allows the car to idle 10, 20 or 30 minutes.

Yes the remote start is slow. It takes about 15 seconds to log in. Another 20 seconds or so to start the car. If you want to start the car on the fly you may be disappointed of the delay. For example if you are walking to the car and forgot to start it earlier, you will find yourself not to bother as you have already reached the car.

i am sure there are better options, efficiency and cost wise but the wife wanted something factory from the dealer as opposed to aftermarket install.

Always nice to have an OEM accessory in our vehicle. I do hope they will fix this lag in the near future.

Always nice to have an OEM accessory in our vehicle. I do hope they will fix this lag in the near future.

Here are some real world numbers performed by me and results are consistent:

Logging in the Mazda Mobile Start App:
-------------------------------------------
22 Seconds to complete

Once you are logged in you can perform the following options:
=======================================

Starting the Car:
-------------------
20 Seconds to Complete (note that I was prompted to put in my 4 digit pin)

Stopping the Car:
--------------------
18 Seconds to Complete (was NOT prompted to put in 4 digit pin)

Locking the Door Locks:
---------------------------
20 Seconds to Complete (was NOT prompted to put in 4 digit pin)

Note: I believe there is a timeout in the Mazda App, which you will then be prompted to put your 4 digit pin again if you want to perform other actions.

So my opinion is that it is slow but not terribly slow to the point where you want to start cursing.

I do want to mention that if you are connected to another WIFI (such as a Mall WIFI), some networks might prevent you to use the Mazda App due to some restrictions. For example, some WIFI networks might have some firewall or port permissions. I know for a fact that I cannot view my home cameras from certain WIFI networks on my iphone.

I found that using your own LTE network is the most reliable.

Last edited:
the experiences here is why i didn't get or recommend it. mazda really shouldve just included the standard remote start built into the car and activated from the key fob like all other car makers. SMH.

Back