Another P5 on a College Budget....Meet Ozzie

I'm not sure. I still have to do my tires and motor mounts, but I'm sure it'll be either lowering it or getting rid of the rust next. Hopefully it'll all happen pretty soon, but depends on how busy we are at work over the next few weeks before classes get out. And how many extra things I buy (like a bike rack or a kayak - summer goodies I've been wanting for a while).

SHOOT!!! I just found out that there was a black MSP at auction in Minneapolis that sold TODAY!!!! I'M SO FREAKIN PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!!

Sorry, had to vent my frustration. It would be really cool to have an MSP swap, as unreliable as they seem to be. If I could've picked that up I would've, even though most of the damage was to the front of the car sadly. I would've prefered it being rear-ended so I could use the front bumper, but I guess I can't be too picky with these things.....and it did say there was some mechanical damage but didn't specify what. Grrrr.....random venting post. Sorry guys.

Last edited:
Lol, I know that feel. I saw a MSP on CL a few months back, turns out the guy who sold it is now in an MS#. Nice guy. W/e. Win some lose some.

I'm wondering if it isn't smarter to try and tackle the rust work yourself to the extent you can. I'm actually leaving my arches the way they are until I have time and the hatch is getting "fixed" by a friend of a friend. He said best this to do is get a new hatch. I said just make it look pretty for now.

If you are willing, a member on here does MP3 ECU flashes. I'm thinking one of those and a mild port and polish will help a little bit. I know it won't be fast, but power delivery will be a little better than the stock P5 ECU.

Food for thought. Cheaper than the MSP swap...

Yeah I agree with fixing what rust I can. Right now there are holes in my fenders on both sides and my bumper clips have freed up, leaving my bumper rattling above 45 mph or so. So I think I'm going to have to duct tape them really tight on the inside or turn my music up really loud.

Not really. It's not that bad, and I can't hear it when I have music playing unless it's super low. As for the MP3 ECU, I've thought about it and decided against it, since I would have to use premium gas. Maybe once I get a new intake besides the cheapo eBay one I have now I'll get one of those and a good tune, but for now it's more a dream. Probably something for this winter once meet season is done. (btw, I'm gonna be going to a lot of meets, including Road America's meet May 16th-18th if someone wants to meet up. Ozzie won't be there though. (notcool))

Anyways, I finally got my replacement HID ballast on Friday and threw that in literally minutes after the mailman left. So excited to finally have both headlights working again! Additionally, I ordered some HID fogs, but found out they won't fit the stock housings without some drilling, which I decided to do next time I go home and have access to a drill. Also, when I was trying to put those in one of the screw heads stripped right away (just like the other side) but the other one came out just fine. Does this sound right, or is it just poor engineering?

Finally (I think), I got new motor mounts installed (found a guy to do them cheap since I don't have time right now. Stupid finals coming up....) and the car feels so much more connected! It finally moves as one unit over bumps instead of two big pieces, and that's really gonna help when I'm delivering. However, it is bringing out a rough idle from it sitting around 500 rpm, so I think an EGR cleaning is in order over the summer. *adds to work list* Also, the guy putting them in notice that one of my exhaust bolts was missing, and he said he could probably find a replacement. However, I might just wait for that, since I plan on doing a custom exhaust this summer at some point assuming time doesn't get away from me again. I can live with a small exhaust leak a little longer (I don't think I had a non-leaking exhaust more than 2 months that I've owned the car).

Last edited:
Alright, I have some updates for mild enjoyment. First (mildly irrelevant to the build) I figured out how to post pics from my phone! Hooray for the Photobucket app!

Back to the build. I feel like it's been a long time since I updated, so I'll try to remember it all even though there isn't much. I finally put my new rims on, but the center caps don't fit and I busted one trying to put it in. New plan is to shave down the Mitsubishi logo on the stock caps and leave it blank, maybe fit some Mazda logos on those. Also, I need to strip the plastidip and paint them permanently gold. But this works out well because I have a list of other projects that requires taking off my rims.

Anyways, I made a temporary list of projects because I found out work is sending me to Omaha for a week, and I need my car in good working order (well, I want it in good working order). So here's the list:
-Fix my exhaust leak
-Replace my warped brake rotors
-Possibly replace my leaking brake caliper (may just top off with fluid before I leave)
-Start the projector retrofit (hopefully finish, obviously)
-Clean my EGR
-Reattach my e-brake
-Install LED Brake lights (on the way)
-Install HIDs in my fog lights

So yeah, that's my list, and I have until the 29th to do all that. If I do replace my caliper, I'll have to get it from the Cities (probs have to make two trips up there), and I'll plan on getting a bike rack while I'm there. I'm hoping to start progress on that when I get back from Road America tonight, but we'll see how productive I feel.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, a lot of my projects aren't going to happen before Omaha, some because of rust, some because of money. I bought a kayak (kinda on a whim, Dick's Sporting Goods had a crazy sale on them this week) and I ended up spending more than I had originally planned. My caliper isn't gonna get replaced soon, and I'm okay with that. I just picked up a big jug of brake fluid so I should be able to stay on top of the leak. I couldn't get my e-brake reattached because of rusted-in brackets holding it together right now. Hopefully I can get that dealt with once I find some tools to cut the bracket with. I haven't had a chance to measure the bolt for the exhaust yet, so that will hopefully get done this weekend when I'm not working. Fog lights are on hold but probably the next project to be done. I need access to a drill, and one of my buddies said I could use his but I didn't get to it yesterday (lazy day). Also, I got a different intake to put in, but I think I'm missing one of the rubber seals to connect it to the throttle body.

Anyways, that's that. Also, I'm still trying to find someone to remove my rust for me/with me. I already have the panels sitting in my room, but I need someone with a welder and experience that won't charge me an arm and a leg for it.

Also, I updated the first post to be a log of what I've done so far.

I like the rims! and just commenting above on the premium fuel thing, generally you see better mpgs and its better for your car in the long run, especially since its only an additional $3 a tank

Thanks man! The rims look better on the car than I thought they would, so I'm really happy with it. And yeah, after looking at it again, I think I might end up going with the MP3 ECU once I get the money together. Rethinking it definitely helped me to see that it could really benefit me. Plus I get $.05 off coupons for gas all the time, so it could end up being not terribly more expensive. I think after my rust and headlights, I might do that next, maybe after I get exhaust too. Once I have the exhaust, ECU, and my new intake on I might go in for a tune and see how much power I can be getting out of it (insert Jeremy Clarkson POWERRRRRR!!!! meme). Hopefully I can get all that done by the end of summer, but it depends on how many more trips I get to go on for work. I have the intake and projectors already, just need headlight assemblies, exhaust piping and muffler (straight-piping because power), and ECU.

Also, my clutch soft line popped today while I was on a delivery, so for the time being Ozzie is parked. I'm hoping to pick up a new line either tonight or tomorrow, but we'll see what happens. If I can't get it figured out by tomorrow I'll have to switch shifts but I'll have most of the day Saturday and all day Sunday to fix it. I'll be able to do it hopefully, barring rust problems. I should probably start PB Blasting it, shouldn't I.....

Got my new clutch line in today! It took less time to put it in and bleed the clutch than it did to find the part, which is kinda sad considering my skillset. ha I sadly might have to re-bleed the clutch though. I don't know if it's from me driving 3 other cars over the last 5 days (only one of which was manual, the Focus with a new clutch and super-high disengagement point) or what, but I think the clutch and brakes are a little softer than they used to be. Maybe I'm just crazy.....I drove the Focus Friday (about 5 hours), the Freestar Sunday (8 hours), and the Malibu Monday and Tuesday (2 12-hour shifts), so that's why I'm questioning my senses for the brakes and clutch. The Malibu had really soft brakes though, so I feel like my brakes should be an improvement over those.

Also, while Ozzie was parking-lot-ridden, I decided to do some touch-up paint. I didn't bother to use primer cuz I didn't plan on doing all that I did, but I can tell it's not nearly as shiny as the rest of the paint. I still have to put on the clear coat (just picked it up today) so I'm hoping to do that tonight and it will remedy this issue, cuz I kinda repainted the whole front bumper and some of the hood. (oops) Also, I decided to paint in the Evil M on the front, although I guess I missed a spot with my paint so I gotta redo that tonight too.

I also did the part of my roof where my sunroof deflector was, cuz it left a nasty mark around it.

I have to say, I kinda liked the black and blue look, as weird and illegal as it was.

So seeing as I leave tomorrow for home and Omaha, I completed almost nothing off my list of things I wanted to get done. I am planning to look at the speaker wires tonight after I get paint going, but other than that I got almost nothing done from the list (Ace Hardware refused to drill the holes in the fog lights for me). Oh well. More for when I get back.

If you have access to a dremmel, you can probably take the necessary metal out of your fogs at home...

Shoot. I should've thought of that. Maybe my dad has one I can steal. I've been drilling holes in my test one and that has failed for the most part. I'll try to Drexel it all out, and hopefully it doesn't end up too horrible.

Well, maybe I was just being dumb, but I used a circular blade on my dad's dremmel to cut out metal in my fog lights and burned out the motor after one fog light, and even that didn't get fully done. So that idea is out. I'm about ready to buy a set of new fog lights just to get my fogs working again. Since Ace doesn't want to extract the stripped screws, and I don't know how to (or anyone that will), that eliminates replacing the bulbs with LEDs (would've been my backup if HIDs didn't work).

Lol, I think the housing is sealed on top of having the screws hold it together. You should be safe.

Kinda odd the motor burned out but sometimes tools just go out w/o warning. I'm sure the metal is quite stiff. I guess second plan could be to find a large enough drill bit (like the one to drill doors out for the handle, but smaller) and mount the light in a vice???

Now we have Tapatalk on this forum, we can post pics from there too. Just looking your earlier posts :)

Yeah I know.the screw is stripped, but the housing isn't sealed. Once those screws are out it pops right off. but those damn screws.....

But yeah, the blade kept getting stuck, so that's why it burned our I think. Plus it got super hot and I didn't get the chance to let it cool. So that's why that happened I think.

And yeah. I like that we can post photos directly on here. However, if you had the Photobucket app (or maybe others, depending on the service) you could always go in there and post the same links and such.

Yeah I know.the screw is stripped, but the housing isn't sealed. Once those screws are out it pops right off. but those damn screws.....

But yeah, the blade kept getting stuck, so that's why it burned our I think. Plus it got super hot and I didn't get the chance to let it cool. So that's why that happened I think.

And yeah. I like that we can post photos directly on here. However, if you had the Photobucket app (or maybe others, depending on the service) you could always go in there and post the same links and such.

I used to use SkyDrive and then I moved all my files to the Google cloud then I didn't like it so I moved them back and promptly lost all the photos I had previously linked. Derp Derp.

Sent from my Pipboy 3000

Ahh shoot. Isn't it great when you lose all of those?

Anyways, update time I guess. First off, I'm turning 21 today, and this is my 500th post! (whoop whoop!) That's all for that I guess....

Back to Ozzie. I decided I'm gonna order some new fog lights. I'm leaning towards these. I wanted something that looked stock but was better (obviously), but I was just about to order some fog deletes and get some projector fogs that would hide behind those. I'm hoping to order those today.
Also, I realized today that both of my front speakers are intermittent, as well as my back passenger side speaker being blown (when it's not cutting out).

On another note, I found out that my remote stopped working, which means that it's time for a remote start! But first, I need my e-brake fixed and to figure out if I'm smart enough to get it in there right. I've never been good with electronics, but I'll either figure it out or find somebody to figure it out with me.

Congrats on the birthday. Be safe man.

I'm all for new lights, especially if you're fabbing something new up to mount them. If I could do one thing to my car (other than turn it into gold, get rid of the rust and swap a BPT into it), I'd get the sedan bumper and run that... Just to be like Rico (here's to hoping you see this sir). It looked different... That said, the big front fogs really give the car character. When I have the car bra on it, it looks quite nice. See if you can't score a set from a nearby yard before you buy the lights you were looking at. If the site has good reviews then that would put me at ease.

My driver's door speaker is starting to go. Popping the doors off is easy as pie, and I like being goofy and driving without the inserts in them. Lol.

If you do choose to wire up remote start, you'll need to figure out how to wire it to where it completes the circuit with the clutch switch. That and ALWAYS LEAVE IT IN NEUTRAL. I can't tell you the number of times I have accidentally rolled a bit because I leave it in gear as a precaution if the e-brake ever goes...

Before you look into a new cable (unless it is snapped), see if your rear calipers haven't seized up... That's what happened to mine so I picked some refurbed calipers up from OReilly's. Should have just gone new but too late now.

Well, I started a job at the local Honda dealer and I came to a realization: Honda has moved a lot higher on my favorite brands list, to the point of me considering to buy a new Fit when I graduate, if not sooner (depending on if/when Ozzie blows up). Now, this isn't to say that I absolutely won't get a Mazda because I simply haven't had a chance to drive one. I've been shuffling Accords and CR-Vs and Pilots around the lot like crazy lately (especially today with some major storms threatening to roll through), and once I drove a Ridgeline I knew that I wanted to get one of those even though I know I can't afford one anytime soon.

Considering all of this, my interest in modding Ozzie seems to have come to a soft halt. Right now I'm more interested in repairing as needed and saving my money. I am having someone fixing my rust next month, and I might get new exhaust still, but aside from those I won't be doing any serious modding. I was hoping to do some stuff outside on my day off tomorrow, but since there's gonna be storms all night into tomorrow it looks like I'm gonna start packing up my apartment. Gotta move out by the halfway point of getting my rust fixed, so I've gotta be buckling down on that instead of modding too.

Blah. I just realized that half of my last post doesn't make sense. Stupid autocorrect. So that went away....

Hopefully you stay safe in the storms. Not sure how serious they are going to be as I haven't heard (and don't pay any attention to) the weather forecast lately.

I'll be honest, I'd daily a Civic if I was offered one. Same with the Fit, as much as I want[I/] to say I wouldn't. They look very roomy and comfortable. As far as the CRV, I was toying with the idea of picking one of those up for the winter, retiring the P5 to the track (or parting out), and driving an MS3 in the summer. A friend of mine just picked up a MSP built for the track. Gutted and everything. It's a nice car. Needs some TLC though. If mine wasn't in an accident in its past life, I would gut it and track it in a heartbeat. Since it's a winter beater though, I don't want to gut things only to have to put them back in at the end of the summer.

I'd just save as much as you can. I mean, at the end of the day, buy and do what makes you happy, but if you plan on selling (or retiring it to winter duty perhaps), try and be more reserved (says the guy eyeing a rear sway bar) Lol

It actually wasn't that bad here. Farther west, on the other hand, was a lot worse. A dam broke in a state park in SW Minnesota and flooded I90 with 3+ feet of water. Lots of other flooding adventures, but Mankato just had thunderstorms off and on. Really odd, cuz a half hour east of us had some 4.5 inches of rain, we had a half inch, and an hour west had anywhere between 2 and 6 inches. But I'm rambling....

I love the idea of a hatch, so that's why I want a Fit so bad. Only thing is that it's already pretty low stock (thinking about winter) and it has the same amount of power and a lot less torque that the P5 did stock, even though it weighs some 200 lbs less. I have to get more experience with Civics, but I would definitely entertain the idea of a Civic Si. If I did get a Civic I would definitely keep Ozzie around for winter and for hauling my bike and kayak around though. As for the CR-V.....eh? I like the idea of being higher (had a first-gen CR-V in high school), but the lack of a manual makes it sound a lot less appealing. Plus, from what I've noticed just driving around the lot they seem very numb for a Honda. Plus, if I wanted something AWD I would just go "all-out" and get a Ridgline (my love for Hondas is showing). I have always liked the Ridgeline in concept, and I had to take pics of one on Thursday. Drove it out of the parking spot and somehow fell in love with it almost instantly. I don't know what got into me, but I want a Ridgeline SO FREAKIN BAD right now! Thinking about them isn't helping, either....

I am definitely gonna save a lot of money. Once I get my rust fixed and buy some stuff for the house I will be saving a lot of money (and working a lot-- 60+ hours a week between both jobs). Maybe I'll put more money towards school so I won't have to deal with $500/month+ loan payments at graduation and can afford higher car payments, even though that's terrible money management. As for your plan on AutoX, I am kinda jealous. But then again, I can do that almost every night I deliver- just gotta be a little careful around cops (hooray for car-top lights!).

Back