Another 0421 CEL after 0300 trials question

tommyd

:
2003 Mazda Proteg 5
Last month I threw a 0300 CEL in my 2003 P5 (stock) with the (seems like) standard crappy misfiring performance that goes along with it. I was getting bogging down on hills, stuttering at idle, loss of power on acceleration and then sudden lurches forward as the car seemed to catch up with itself. After cleaning and replacing the EGR, cleaning the MAF, changing air filter, plugs and wires, I finally replaced the ignition coils (mind you, about three-four weeks had elapsed) and the car ran smoothly again.

Everything was great for a week or so, then I threw a 0421 CEL.

I've read up on the background on these and so am thinking that rather than a perfectly timed O2 sensor's failing, I probably demolished my upper (or pre-) catalytic converter with raw fuel being dumped into it while my ignition coils were spent. Could possibly be the O2 sensors (judging from other threads on the subject) but unlikely, I know.

Here's the rub. I have 82k miles on the car, just over emissions warranty. I'm in California. I've done a preliminary scout online for CA-approved pre-cats and haven't even found any for sale--most places seem to have an "approved in 49 states (minus CA)" caveat.

The "good news" (if there is any to enjoy) is that the car just passed emissions here over the fall, so I'm okay for a year or two. The car *seems* to be running fine, minus the CEL. I do appear to be burning through fuel faster than normal, though I need to verify this.

My questions to the good body of the forums are these:

I'm pretty much sure my upper cat is giving off the CEL. Is there any merit in testing or switching out my o2 sensors (upper or lower) to check?

If I need to switch out the pre-cat, where can I buy a California approved one? Is this as easy a job as it seems to be?

***Is there any danger in not replacing the cat, in terms of fuel efficiency, vehicle performance or possible damage to the lower 02 sensor or lower cat?***

Anyone had any success in getting Mazda to help out in an emissions repair when you're just out of warranty? I mean 2k over the 80k cutoff--give me a break!

Thanks for any and all advice and shared experiences.

ur cat is bad! the misfire most likely cause u to run very rich and ruined ur catalytic converter.

You can buy a used OEM front cat on this forum. People often remove them when they install a header, and the catalytic converters can have very few miles on them.

Back