AMS Mazda Speed 3 Test: The in's and outs of the MS3 powerplant

Nutari said:
Its just amazing to see a dyno like that. The car is rated at 260/280 at the crank. You are getting that to the wheels with no mods.

Thats pretty amazing. (first)
So, how do you explain your numbers?

did Mazda underrate this car?

Nutari said:
So, how do you explain your numbers?

did Mazda underrate this car?

Deff possible that Mazda underrated the car. At this point, we have a wide enough test base to accept these numbers as what it should be producing I think. I have also dyno'd a Speed6 and another Speed3 with similar results. Those cars were also mostly stock.

On the EVO 8 and 9 end of the spectrum, our cars seem to read lower than most other peoples. A stock EVO will make about 275ish on our dyno and with some tuning, the car should make around the 300wtq and 300whp area for a simple compairison.

At the end of the day you must remember that the dyno is a tuning tool first and a benchmark tool a distant second. There are various ways to calibrate various dynos, and few of them will spit out the exact same number.

Last edited:
vindication said:
wow, surprised to see these numbers considering the low output from one of the automobile magazines(not that I paid much attention to it).
I thought I had read that too somewhere. I thought I was just having a 'brunette moment', maybe not. :) Which magazine was it in?

Chris@AMS said:
I'm not a huge fan of the xede or any piggyback unit especially when you have an ECU reflash coming.
But don't dealers see when the ECU was reflashed on an OBD scan?

Also, without the ability to put larger injectors in the car at this point I'm not sure how you would plan on getting rid of the boost cut on the stock ecu with a piggyback system. Hopefully its not related to mass air flow, otherwise i would hardly consider the XEDE an option.
But the boost cut can be eliminated. These engines tune off of MAF and MAP sensors.
Stephanie

I believe the dealers would see an reflash, but you can always reflash it back to stock before going to the dealer.

Last edited:
StephanieT said:
But don't dealers see when the ECU was reflashed on an OBD scan?

But the boost cut can be eliminated. These engines tune off of MAF and MAP sensors.
Stephanie

Regular OBD scanners can't see a reflash.

Correct, the motor does run off the maf sensor, and according to another memeber this is the sensor it uses to enable boost cut. If this is true, boost, or even flow from a larger turbo will enable the boost cut and make it very hard to tune with a piggyback.

vindication said:
edit: also, Xede cant be that bad if begi managed 57whp and 70 ft/lbs of torque with just the unit....either that or mazdas down tuning on the cars ceases to amaze me.

I'd like to see the dyno chart.

BEGi_MS3_stockandXede.jpg

I assume you mean this one?

I dont know if it is or isn't but bell engineering is well known and respected and Mr. Corky Bell wouldn't fudge info I dont think

Chris@AMS said:
I just want to make sure before I get into it. That chart is total BS.
Wow. So how many books on turbocharging have YOU written lately?

I smell a fight. It does look like those curves have been smoothed out, but I have no clue can you elaborate on why the chart is total bs. I feel like Joe Pesci in my cousin vinny.

I think it is clear to say ECU Flashes/Piggybacks opinions are like as*holes. Everyones got one. I dont know I am completely torn in two as to which one I will go with. Am I the only one thinking this? I did talk to Cobb today and they said they really dont have any info on the Flash, they are expecting to see the unit out by spring. We will see about that!!!

benzo said:
I think it is clear to say ECU Flashes/Piggybacks opinions are like as*holes. Everyones got one. I dont know I am completely torn in two as to which one I will go with. Am I the only one thinking this? I did talk to Cobb today and they said they really dont have any info on the Flash, they are expecting to see the unit out by spring. We will see about that!!!

Thats not good I hope they stick with it.

Back