Alternator questions

dammitcam

:
Probe GT
Hey guys, Cameron here! Some of you know me in the Probe/MX6 community. Anyway, I have a close friend with an 02 MP5 we have basically been using my spare Probe parts to doctor up. Well the other day he developed a loud howling and squeal from the belt area. Well long story short, I believe his alternator gave out causing his car to not start and start to over heat before he turned it off. My main question is, will a MX6, 626, or Probe FSDE alternator work on the dang thing?

Look up the alternators for each vehicle on an auto parts website. If the part numbers are the same, they are compatible.

Have you determined that the pulley is frozen? You sound unsure. It could definitely cause the symptoms you describe, but you don't want to waste your time guessing.

Last edited:
Hey guys, Cameron here! Some of you know me in the Probe/MX6 community. Anyway, I have a close friend with an 02 MP5 we have basically been using my spare Probe parts to doctor up. Well the other day he developed a loud howling and squeal from the belt area. Well long story short, I believe his alternator gave out causing his car to not start and start to over heat before he turned it off. My main question is, will a MX6, 626, or Probe FSDE alternator work on the dang thing?

If it overheated he likely tossed the alternator belt, which also spins the water pump. The water pump could be the problem as well. Give them both a spin to feel the bearings and check for play in the pulleys.

I changed the water pump after further inspection (the water pump had seized up). Well.. After changing the water pump and all of the belts... The alternator goes out and snaps the belt again... I really can't wait until we KL swap this thing haha

Look up the alternators for each vehicle on an auto parts website. If the part numbers are the same, they are compatible.

Have you determined that the pulley is frozen? You sound unsure. It could definitely cause the symptoms you describe, but you don't want to waste your time guessing.
At the time I had not seen the car to inspect it

Back