Alternator Problems

Anyone who has a system that really hits...have u ever experienced a dead battery or maybe it could be a weak alternator....i was just sittin in my car...after i got pulled over....:'( and my dam battery or somethin happend that i couldnt start my whip....i let it sit after i called my boss to help me out....it was just after i had gotten outta work...for like 5 mins then it started....i was like...HUH!?!?!?...so whut u guys think this could be...weak alternator or dead battery?

NYCZMP3 said:
Anyone who has a system that really hits...have u ever experienced a dead battery or maybe it could be a weak alternator....i was just sittin in my car...after i got pulled over....:'( and my dam battery or somethin happend that i couldnt start my whip....i let it sit after i called my boss to help me out....it was just after i had gotten outta work...for like 5 mins then it started....i was like...HUH!?!?!?...so whut u guys think this could be...weak alternator or dead battery?

Neither check the resting and idle voltage to be sure.

Are you sure you remembered to turn the car all the way off before trying to turn it back on.
The alternator won't stop the car from strting, just from running and the battery if it can't start it the first time definitly won't the second.

i am confused...only cause...i get alot of dimming in lights when the bass hits....then i when the car si started it is fine...i shut it off...cause i got pulled over for liek 5 mins it was on wit hout the engine on...then it wouldnt start...i made sure i shut everything down and tried...wouldnt start.....gave it 5 mins not even and the car started...slow but it started...this happend 2 times....WHAT THA HELL COULD IT BE....just a WEAk battery or whut?

NYCZMP3 said:
i am confused...only cause...i get alot of dimming in lights when the bass hits....then i when the car si started it is fine...i shut it off...cause i got pulled over for liek 5 mins it was on wit hout the engine on...then it wouldnt start...i made sure i shut everything down and tried...wouldnt start.....gave it 5 mins not even and the car started...slow but it started...this happend 2 times....WHAT THA HELL COULD IT BE....just a WEAk battery or whut?

You had the amp playing at high volumes while being pulled over:wtf:

That amp unless pounding hard for a while won't train the battery that much. Check the voltages like I said its the only way to know.

Could aslo be a loose terminal - you might get enuff juice to power the amps on low volume, but then not enuff to start the car if a terminal is loose.

First thing I always check when dealing with battery trouble is the terminals - then get more involved if that doesn't help.

~HH

You had the amp playing at high volumes while being pulled over

nah what u mean....i am talkin before the i was pulled over...my raio was obviously off while i was pulled over/....i will check thse terminals as well thanks...but i gotta get a volt meter and test the battery

Alternator shops can load test the system also. Might be worth the small fee.

Well, you could always beef up the alternator. I have found (and 1st would know much better than I) That upping the alt.'s capability AND installing an Aux battery does wonders. The alternator stores power to the aux battery, which shares the duty of running the amp with the stock battery during those times (in the middle of the bass hit) when there is a need for quick bursts of high power (like how the flash on a camera works).
I leave it to 1st MP3, but just from admiring friends systems, this has been the most effective system I've seen. It is also possible to charge the aux battery with the stock alternator, you just cant bump all the time.
If you notice, our alternator's max operating level is just above normal needs. Try rolling up two windows when they're already up (pull the switch when they're up) and the headlights will dim significantly.
1st?

Typicaly the aux battery isn't needed if another alternator is being used the second battery is usualy placed with an isolator in line so only it drains while the system is on and the car is off. Batteries act to greatly stabalize voltage and deliver quick peaks, they work much like a capacitor but can't discharge as quickly.

Of coarse a bigger alternator is only useful while driving and many actualy put out less power then stock at idle. Rewound alternator are famous for this.

The first step is replace the battery with an optima, stinger or other deep cell audio battery.
Second would be alternator upgrade.
third would be additional batteries.

these some what depends on the goal of the system.

the problem with 2 batteries s that the alternator must charge both while running the car and the added resistance can sometimes be more then it can handle.

Back