alternator belt broke

bullshark524

:
2000 mazda protege es soon to be 2000 mazda protege klze
on my way home from work yesterday my alternator belt broke but i was able to get home. my question is how long could you run a 2000 mazda protege by the battery alone. i shut off all the electronics i could except my headlights.

i have a 2002 es and when my alternator belt broke my car overheated within 15 min because somehow that belt helped pull the water pump, so not long if your setup is similar to mine which it probly is.

yeah i found out that thats the belt that drives the water pump when i got home and there was steam coming from the hood. I didnt notice it over heating. The ride home from work is about 15 min i just thought the battery would have died sooner.

yeah i found out that thats the belt that drives the water pump when i got home and there was steam coming from the hood. I didnt notice it over heating. The ride home from work is about 15 min i just thought the battery would have died sooner.

yea i was just about to say that, need to replace that belt ASAP, dont drive it anywhere without the waterpump working
you could warp your block and/or head and then really have a problem

yeah its not to hard to do yourself me and my dad did it in about 20min just look at it really good and your get it, or look it up on the forums :)

i did replace it but i need to find a way to tighten the power steering pump now. i tightened it as much as i could be for i thought i would break something. i also found out that my brakes were dragging. the passenger side a little i could at least turn the hub with the wheel off which is more than i can say for the drivers side.

did you use the tenshinor on the alternator too?

yeah i did use the tensioner.
Ps. If anyone changes there belt and the ps pump seems a lil big an easy fix is to drill a hole in ther adjuster along the slot. This is to extend the slot and bring the ps pump further from the crank pulley.

Latest posts

Back