Aftermarket headunit and car settings

dalingrin

:
Mazda CX-5
I'm looking to purchase a 2014 CX-5 but will likely replace the headunit. My understanding is that the car settings are in the factory headunit. If I replace the factory headunit is there anyway to change car settings from then on?

Yes and No. The settings aren't STORED in the head unit, but that's the only user accessible interface for changing them. If you replace the HU, a mazda service center can usually change the settings with one of their tools (and they'll likely charge you for the service), or you can plug the old HU back in to make a change.

Usually, you should just try to get everything the way you want before changing the radio. ;)

Yes and No. The settings aren't STORED in the head unit, but that's the only user accessible interface for changing them. If you replace the HU, a mazda service center can usually change the settings with one of their tools (and they'll likely charge you for the service), or you can plug the old HU back in to make a change.

Usually, you should just try to get everything the way you want before changing the radio. ;)

Thanks! Good to know that I can at least change the settings to what I want and keep them after I remove the factory HU.

You can get android based HU's that retain most of the options, for everything else (that you would probably never need to change) Mazda dealerships can edit the settings by plugging a tool into your car. It's how they interface without using the headunit, same functions + more that you can't access.

You can get android based HU's that retain most of the options, for everything else (that you would probably never need to change) Mazda dealerships can edit the settings by plugging a tool into your car. It's how they interface without using the headunit, same functions + more that you can't access.

Could you give me an example of the HU you are talking about?

Latest posts

Back