Aftermarket DVD player and Moonroof

hekhl00

2 things are keeping me from adding the RSES to my soon to be purchased GT....

1)cost
2.)as far as I can tell it isn't available with the moon roof, which the wife wants.

Is my 2nd assumption correct? If so, does anyone have suggestions for after-market overhead DVD players that are compatible with the moon roof?

Thanks

2 things are keeping me from adding the RSES to my soon to be purchased GT....

1)cost
2.)as far as I can tell it isn't available with the moon roof, which the wife wants.

Is my 2nd assumption correct? If so, does anyone have suggestions for after-market overhead DVD players that are compatible with the moon roof?

Thanks

wow 39 views and no one bothers to chime in?

I was in the same boat as you too. We decided that RSES is more important than a moonroof so we opt the RSES pkg. Have you tried Tweeter.com or BestBuy? I think they have some aftermarket overhead DVD players at a reasonable cost.

We saw a CX9 RSES with 2 7'' monitor in the headrests at the mazda dealership. It was pimping (nana) We want that car but it was a Touring FWD (bicker)

I would get the moonroof, and add the DVD to the vehicle. Your dealer should have a custom shop who can do the work so you can work it into your loan, unless you prefer to pay cash. A decent overhead DVD should run you from $1400-$1600 installed. Premier systems like Alpine will usually set you back 2000+.

I can't buy a car without a moonroof since my last 2 cars have had them.
(mj)

Yes, we were in the same boat.. The reason you cannot have both is that the place where the DVD drop downs would go is where the moon roof opens into in the headliner space. We went with the moon roof and will get the back-of-headrest ones when the time comes. I think I saw a place that makes custom headrests that will be drop-in replacements to your existing. They match perfectly the interior. A couple simple wires and your all set.

If I find the company I'll post the link.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. If after market shops can install a drop down with the moon roof, I wonder why Mazda can't do it? I expected that the moon roof could interfere, but apparently that can be overcome.

Not sure head rest video would work for us. One kid is always going to want to ride in the back, meaning the view of the head rest could be blocked.

I may just go for after market drop down or buy each kid their own portable player. Surprisingly, that would be cheaper than anything I've seen so far.

You've heard of people installing aftermarket drop downs from the headliner with moonroof? They must be off to the sides. You would get two headrest DVD players, one for each kid. If you have more kids install them in the second row seat for the kid who sits in the third row.
Craig

just spent today @ the dealer - looking at an '08 GT AWD - and we definitely want the moonroof... so no rear dvd, but the dealer does have a local electronics shop they work with who has the headrest dvd players for less than $2K, so we will likely go that route.

Have you checked out the Rosen Entertainment Systems?

http://www.rosenentertainment.com/

List price is $2000, but they're available for less.

Correct link would be

AV 7000 Headrest Monitors

I have them and i love the option of two separate DVD players and integrated game consoles (headbang)

DSC01919.JPG

DSC01921.JPG

The problem with the headrest system is (a) viewing angle. It is aimed down more. (b) People in 3rd row (kids, mostly) cannot watch the screen.

You CAN do overhead DVD install in a CX-9. I was quoted $150 more labor by Fry's Electronics. They need to fabricate a "special bracket" that mounts on the sides, basically 2 pieces of compressed wood screwed into the headliner frame, on to which the DVD mounting bracket can be installed. This is done to provide the additional clearance needed for the moonroof.

Any reputable mobile installer can do it. Its been done numerous times on Honda Pilots, Toyota Sienna's and Nissan Murano's. Check out their respective forums.

Mazda now has a factory installed DVD option for CX-9s' with moonroof.
http://www.autospectator.com/cars/m...-gameboy-advance-2008-mazda-cx-9-crossover-su

Feb. 20, 2008, IRVINE, Calif.

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced a new accessory available for the multiple-award-winning 2008 Mazda CX-9. Providing hours of entertainment for those long hauls, the Dockable Entertainment System with Game Boy Advance (DES) is now available, and allows customers with moonroof-equipped vehicles to enjoy a Genuine Mazda Accessory rear seat DVD system.

With the ability to play games, movies, music and more in the 2008 Mazda CX-9, the Dockable Entertainment System with Game Boy Advance (DES) provides endless enjoyment, truly enhancing the travel experience of the passengers and driver alike. The system combines the versatility of a premium in-vehicle player, a portable DVD player, 10.2-inch display and the world’s most popular video game platform. The complete Mazda accessory kit contains a dockable DVD player, roof-mounted docking station, two wireless headphones, a wireless game controller, AC charger and a carry bag. A factory-installed, roof-mounted Rear Seat Entertainment System option with Bose 5.1 surround sound, 115V power outlet and audio/video input is available for customers choosing vehicles not equipped with a moonroof.

Coming off the heels of winning the 2008 Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year and the coveted North American Truck of the Year award, Mazda offers another way to make the Mazda CX-9 even more enjoyable. The 2008 Mazda CX-9 deftly blends Mazda’s signature sporty driving spirit with seven passenger sport-utility vehicle (SUV) practicality. A clean break from traditional SUVs, the Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV has won high marks for its dynamic styling, powerful and dynamic driving performance and a spacious interior more commonly found in premium vehicles. With the addition of the Dockable Entertainment System with Game Boy Advance (DES), Mazda provides more options for its customers to further improve the driving experience.

The Dockable Entertainment System with Game Boy Advance (DES) is available on all 2008 Mazda CX-9s equipped with the Moonroof and Bose Audio Package. With a suggested retail price of $1,400, the system is just another way that Mazda is providing CX-9 customers with more of the options they want.

Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., Mazda North American Operations oversees the sales, marketing, parts, accessories and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States, Canada and Mexico through nearly 900 dealers.Operations in Canada are managed byMazda Canada, Inc., located in Ontario, Canada, and in Mexico byMazdaMotor de Mexico in MexicoCity.

Source: Mazda Motor of America, Inc.

Anyone have a picture of what the Dockable Entertainment System looks like installed? Does it have to be installed at the factory? Does it do anything that one of many other aftermarket overhead solutions would not do? Thx.

The key word is "dockable". That is what is different from after-market installation. You get a regular-looking portable DVD player (10.2") that you can detach it and use it as a portable. When needed, it can dock into the base and act as a mobile ent system. Smart design. For $1400? It is your call.

Hi there, Have some info that might help. I have a moon roof and just put in a overhead Alpine dvd player, Works great !! the kids love it and it's one of the best looking units i've seen. It has a huge 10.2 inch LCD screen. lovely LED lights and can be tund in to play on your cars speakers. Sounds sweet on the bose :) Check out the link and my pics.

http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=275

OZ Spec Sparlking black Luxury CX9. Xenon upgrade to head lights, K&N Air filter.

Attachments

• mazda_CX9_2.jpg
    mazda_CX9_2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,343
  • mazda_CX9_5.jpg
    mazda_CX9_5.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,138
  • mazda_CX9_6.jpg
    mazda_CX9_6.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,127
Nice,

Can you describe how the hooked up to the roof/headliner with the moonroof sliding through?

Looks weird with right drive

But at least the volume button on the NAV is now closer to the driver, where it should be (as opposed to left drive, where you basically have to throw out your back trying to reach that button!)

Back