After market trailer hitch

Hi Paul.

There's a small button in the upper left hand corner of the instrument cluster. If you push in on this button, it will brighten the dash lights when you have the lights on during daytime driving. At night, just push it again to dim them back down. You can also adjust the nightime setting by turning this knob.

Good Luck!

Hiiden hitch has the best hitch IMO. I bought one for my other vehicle. It stays tight to the vehicle and when ordering their site will recommend any extra control units.

As for wiring harnesses. They are not always needed. In my last vehilce I used an OHM meter and mapped the tail lights and tapped off of them. The back side of the tail lights had pins on them for other wire harnesses.

In my last vehilce I used an OHM meter and mapped the tail lights and tapped off of them. The back side of the tail lights had pins on them for other wire harnesses.

And you didn't run a direct power supply from the battery to feed the trailer lights??? It can easily add up to 15-20 Amps, or even more.

I installed the Hidden Hitch today (bought from Etrailer.com).
I recommend that you either
- have someone to help you hold the hitch
- have jack stands (at least 1) to support it
Otherwise, it is a difficult job for one person alone (unless you have three hands).
Also, two of the bolts (right side) are close to a black box (looks like related to spare tire). My torque wrench did not fit in there. I used regular wrench on them.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Hidden Hitch. Great product.

Why did you pay $60 at e-trailer and THEN take it to Uhaul for installation? Uhaul has the entire kit for $50 that includes a mountable connector that not only takes a standard flat 4, but Uhaul's own individual bullet connectors, AND has a built in set of test lights. I installed mine in about an hour quite easily and is totally hidden.

Attachments

• Hitch Close with Highlight.JPG
    Hitch Close with Highlight.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 517
Hello CX9 SportOwner

What brand trailer hitch have you got mounted? It so well hidden. The pictures from Hidden Hitch look a lot more visible. Also I see you did a little bit of cutting in the rearbumper?

Best regards Jan

It's actually a factory receiver. I had to cut out the rear apron on the factory marks that are on the inside.

I wanted a factory hitch because its the only Class I/II there is. All of the aftermarket's are 2", and I needed the 1 1/4" receiver for accessories. I also prefer the hidden look of the factory hitch.

Apparently the 2009 CX-9's with AWD will all be equiped with the trailer towing package as standard equipment. No word on whether it will still be an option for the FWD versions.

Apparently the 2009 CX-9's with AWD will all be equiped with the trailer towing package as standard equipment. No word on whether it will still be an option for the FWD versions.

I researched this when I was considering ordering an '09 CX-9.

The fact is that what's standard on the '09 CX-9 is the "Tow Prep Package'',
which includes the ECU shift changes and trans coolor and such. You still have to purchase the actual bar and harness as an option, even on the '09 GT.

I installed Hidden Hitch, bought from etrailer, took me less than 30 minutes to install. I added thread lock to avoid bolts from loosening.

Attachments

• 100_888.jpg
    100_888.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 567
I know
Besides, it's almost impossible to buy a factory receiver.
But I had to have the 1 1/4" and no one makes that size for the CX9.

Pretty good dancing though, huh?

Any recommendations for 2" hitch type bike racks? I want one to handle 4 bikes and now sway back and forth like some I have seen. But I don't want to spend a fortune either....I think I am going to go with the hidden hitch from etrailer you guys mention for the receiver.

Any recommendations for 2" hitch type bike racks? I want one to handle 4 bikes and now sway back and forth like some I have seen. But I don't want to spend a fortune either....I think I am going to go with the hidden hitch from etrailer you guys mention for the receiver.

I had the Yakima Kingpin 4 which holds 4 bikes. Had this on the wifes Odyssey and sold it and now looking for another one for the CX-9. It was solid with minimal movement. They are on Ebay for $120-$140 new. Yakima replaced it with a newer model I believe, but unsure what it is called. Either way it drove the price of the Kingpin down a bit which helps.

Back