AEM SRI SUCKS!!! Cheap product.(Pics)!!!!

the manual version goes down sorta behind the foglight - but not into the wheel well like a CAI

i just ordered a aem sri for my manual 2002 mazda protege 5. its the manual verson and for the 2.0 liter engine. am i going to have any problems, because after reading this hole thread i begining to worry.....

CTpro5 said:
So i got this AEM SRI couple days ago.Got it installed that very same day.Right after the install,i noticed the Elbow shaped pipe is hitting the brake soleiold. I spended 3 hours trying to uninstall everything,and making fine ajustments,BUT still doesn't help at all.

Next day pop the hood trying to uninstall and send it back to AEM.Guess what? the cone filter has came OFF.Upon close inspection,i found out that the filter's neck was too long,cause the only thing supporting the filter is the clamp.And the weight of the filter being so far apart makes it very unsecure.

Called AEM today explaining the problem,and also sent them pics. They reply saying" oh sent it back,we'll test it out". As for the filter being too long,They said "Because the filter was MODIFIED(which i didn't),they will not do anything about it. This is how the filter came,I NEVER did any Modification to it,NOR do i have the tools to do so.

The F up thing is this Phone Conversation--
ME - I can't believed i'm having so much problem with a NAME BRAND intake system,which you guys spended thousands of dollars on TESTING,and DEVELOPMENT. $175.00 for a Short Ram Intake with all these problem,and fitment is a total RIP OFF!!!

Dick at AEM- mmm.... You know what? You should of brought a "EBAY INTAKE" cause i heard they are the "BOMB"....
WTF???
Now they want me to ship the system back to them(AT MY EXPENSE),cause the made a ******* piece of s*** product. This is bulls***!!!!!!

Note: Look closely at the elbow pipe,with only 1 day of usage and less than 20 miles on it. The coating is PEELING already. I guess "Heat Resistance paint" is NOT inportant to them on making their cheap ass intakes.
Damn i'm so pissed!!!!

thats not a real aem intake.

The parts came in a SEALED AEM Box. And i'm not the only one having problems with fitment. I sent in the POS back to AEM, and they sent out a replacement which fit like a glove. But the only problem was one pipe was chrome,and the other pipe was alum. silver color. So i just painted it wrinkle red.

Boston5761 said:
thats not a real aem intake.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 469
Grab a elbow joint off Injen (lol) that will work, and It shouldnt be too expensive.

Or grab a Ebay intake and use the joint off that making sure you grab one that is a imitation of the Injen, but with shipping and all that, I think the peice from Injen will be better and cheaper.

http://www.injen.com/hose.html

And you will want to flip the dryer clamp you got (The one with the screw right in front of the brake fluid resevoir) so that the screw bolt is closer to the engine block (On the other side)

Last edited:
I have an Ebay SRI with AEM stickers on it. It's the same thing. I think the stickers added about 15 horsepower and upped the value of the intake by $100.

FunkyBuddha said:
It needs to move so that it won't break when the engine moves.

Dame...our replyes are the exaxct same just slightly worded differently. Check post #95

Ha ha, I beat you to it. (ughdance) (JK)

I got the AEM 2 weeks after I got my car in late 2001. I never did like it sucking the nice hot air from behind the rad so I moved it and made a custom bracket. I never had a problem with it when it was install in either direction. Now that I have a DGM hood it just uses a modified AEM intake into the sealed off air box and I have no problems with that. The good thing is when i have to change it back in the winter i only have to remove and replace the 90 deg part and the rest can stay as is.

But ya that sux about your paint peeling.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5702&d=1062538344
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4186&d=1055874516
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77311&d=1145683926

Last edited:
Back