AEM Intake backorder?

:
07 CX-7 AWD TOURING
Has anyone had an issue with there CAI being on backorder?
I ordered mine from Overboost.com and they are about 2 weeks out? (smoke)

It seems to me that if they are on back order for about 3 weeks then everybody and their mother on this site probally has one. But that is not the case. I think that they said that they have them in stock but really don't. Well, I hope that is not the case. It would be another case of the consumer being played by the big distributer.

OptionImports.com has them for $237.59

Got mine right away. These guys were local for me. They had it in stock.

I just picked mine up this afternoon from my local shop in Brampton ON. Do you guys have any words of wisdom on the installation process?

sorry for hijacking but whats the diff between the short ram air and the cold air intake besides like 100 dollars

az7 said:
sorry for hijacking but whats the diff between the short ram air and the cold air intake besides like 100 dollars

The difference is one exist and the other does not. AEM has stated that they will not make a short ram intake.

I got mine couple of days ago.... (yes)

---Herb---

az7 said:

as for the technicals, the short ram takes air from inside the engine compartment, which tends to be hot air. it lowers the chokeing effect that the air box has on your car's ablity to breath, but since its sucking in hot air, it dosent do much good in the end, and may actually damage your engine's timeing becuase its not used to such hot air.

cold air intake takes in air from under your engine compartment near the ground where the air is significantly cooler. CAI also reduce air flow resistance providing your engine with more air to 'breathe'.

note: Cold air is more dense and has more oxygen which is needed for combustion to occur. the singular most effecent way to boost engine performance without adding more fuel is to add more oxygen. this principal is also how turbo charges work.

see AEM cant make them fast enough, and people blame the retailer for the problems,
I'm glad someone finaly see's that its aem

BP Bolt hole needed to be reemed.

My Blue CAI needed a slight modification. The bolt hole for mounting the barometric pressure sensor, was not the correct diameter. Also, I think they need to modify the dimensions on the mount. The BP sensor has features on the bottom, guide features that had to be nocked off so I could mount the sensor as shown in the directions.
I have to say even with this quick fix problem, the instructions were great!
Lots of pictures that explained everything.
I tell you when you are gunning it at about 5500rpm, its pretty loud !)
The only thing I do notice is you have to give it a little more gas off the line than before (no torque at 1-2krpm).
I think maybe a black mesh around the fog lamps would be a cool mod to get more air to the filter. The intake sits right behind the left fog lamp.

The dyno's I've seen maintain the gains occur throughout the entire RPM range. Of course, those are the dynos on the AEM site. (spin)

I also wonder how much engine wear is increased by these filters...

any of you guys recieve your 1st cel? ....on the site they claim if they only made a cai or sri that one or the other didn't show too much of a difrence from stock....or was way tooo far in engine bay to get a decient gain for price of production. the tones of the intake change around 3000 4000 rpms..(start off in 2nd)..vtcs is engaged so you don't loose as much low end as you would withought it...I stilll chirp tires ot the line so I have no complaints. alot of people under estimate the gains on this particular engine from intake mod.

Da 6 said:
any of you guys recieve your 1st cel? ....on the site they claim if they only made a cai or sri that one or the other didn't show too much of a difrence from stock....or was way tooo far in engine bay to get a decient gain for price of production. the tones of the intake change around 3000 4000 rpms..(start off in 2nd)..vtcs is engaged so you don't loose as much low end as you would withought it...I stilll chirp tires ot the line so I have no complaints. alot of people under estimate the gains on this particular engine from intake mod.
Dyno results are the only way to measure any gains and where they occur. I have never really thought butt dynos or tire-chirp dynos were too objective. I will have to wait for more testing before I pay $200 for minimal gains above 3000 RPM.

rjison said:
My Blue CAI needed a slight modification. The bolt hole for mounting the barometric pressure sensor, was not the correct diameter. Also, I think they need to modify the dimensions on the mount. The BP sensor has features on the bottom, guide features that had to be nocked off so I could mount the sensor as shown in the directions.
I have to say even with this quick fix problem, the instructions were great!
Lots of pictures that explained everything.
I tell you when you are gunning it at about 5500rpm, its pretty loud !)
The only thing I do notice is you have to give it a little more gas off the line than before (no torque at 1-2krpm).
I think maybe a black mesh around the fog lamps would be a cool mod to get more air to the filter. The intake sits right behind the left fog lamp.
I just put an AEM CAI on my 3 and I agree with what you say about putting in black mesh behind the fog lamp to get more air access. I wonder if Grille Craft is going to be making a batch or if this will have to be a custom job.

so does EVERY CAI have to be modded, or what is it excatly that you guys had to mod, reason being is i dont want to take my car apart to put this in, not be able to do it, not have the tools to mod it, and not have a car to drive cause im so non car smarts?

GrEeNxEyeZz said:
so does EVERY CAI have to be modded, or what is it excatly that you guys had to mod, reason being is i dont want to take my car apart to put this in, not be able to do it, not have the tools to mod it, and not have a car to drive cause im so non car smarts?

there is a little bracket that sticks off the side of the intake for you to mount the baro sensor too. There is a tab on the baro sensor that aligns it on the stock bracket, you have to remove the tab, or notch the bracket on the aem cai for it to fit. Also, The hole in the bracket is too small for the bolt they provide to fit through, you have to drill the hole out a little bigger. Neither fix is very difficult , all you need is a drill and your good to go.

so its like a screw going into a hole, and the whole is like a few mm's to small, and a drill razor blad e(not in this case) and slightly enlarge the hole so the clip goes over ?

haha yeah thanks!

Back