AEM Fuel / Ignition controller

:
2003.5 Blazing Yellow MSP (Forged)
It seems AEM has recently developed a new piggyback engine management system that is programmable by the end-user. Not sure if anyone has used it on a protege yet, but it looks like it may be a viable option for those of us that need to maintain the OBD2 system so that our cars can pass emissions testing.

From AEM's Website:
"

<TABLE cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom noWrap align=left>Fuel / Ignition Controller</TD><TD vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD align=left colSpan=2>The AEM F/IC is an economical solution for controlling fuel and ignition on vehicles that do not require stand-alone engine management, including variable cam timing engines like VTEC, VVTi and MiVEC.

OVERVIEW

The F/IC gives users with OBD-II vehicles and non-factory forced induction systems the ability to retard ignition and deliver accurate amounts of fuel without the need for outdated FMUs or boost hiding controllers. This system works parallel to the factory ECU preventing tuning limitations due to complex factory timing patterns and will not cause a check engine light (CEL).

PRECISE FUEL DELIVERY

The F/IC intercepts the signal to the stock injectors, allowing the user to modify pulse-width by +/-100%. The F/IC is the only piggy-back system that can decrease injector pulse-width, allowing the user to drive larger aftermarket injectors* while still maintaining proper air / fuel ratios. This powerful system can also tap into the factory injector signal and work independently to drive up to six (6) additional injectors.

TIMING RETARD CONTROL

The F/IC has the ability to retard timing by intercepting and delaying the outputs from the cam and crank position sensors to the engine- with no adverse affect on applications equipped with variable cam timing. The F/IC can retard timing from the factory system based on engine RPM and load inputs.

SENSOR CALIBRATION & CONTROL

The F/IC can also be used to recalibrate / clamp the MAF sensor, eliminating common problems with non-boosted factory MAFs. The on-board MAP sensor allows for proper fueling in boosted applicatons.

PLUG & PLAY HARNESSES- COMING SOON!

<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>
aem_fic_harness.jpg
</TD><TD>To ease the installation of the F/IC, AEM will soon offer plug and play wiring harnesses for select applications, making the F/IC a true Plug and Play module. The first harnesses developed will be for the Nissan 350Z, Scion tC and Acura RSX. Pricing and availability coming soon. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

CAN-BUS SYSTEMS NOT AFFECTED

Since the F/IC works in conjunction with the factory ECU, late model-vehicles equipped with a CAN-BUS system retain functionality of climate controls, dash and other components on the network.

VALIDATED APPLICATION LISTING

The F/IC has been tested and validated for the following applications:
  • <LI class=style7>03-06 Nissan 350Z / G35 <LI class=style7>04-07 Scion xA, xB tC M/T <LI class=style7>04-07 Mazda 3 M/T <LI class=style7>05-07 Chevy Cobalt <LI class=style7>03-05 Toyota Celica GT-S <LI class=style7>03-04 Toyota Matrix <LI class=style7>03-04 Toyota Corolla
  • All Honda K-Series M/T
We will be actively expanding this list as additional applications are validated. Visit the F/IC section of the AEM Electronics Forum at aempower.com for the latest validation listing and wiring schematics.

KIT CONTENTS
  • <LI class=style7>F/IC Module <LI class=style7>F/IC Tuner Software CD <LI class=style7>F/IC Bypass Harness <LI class=style7>24" Flying Lead Harness <LI class=style7>36" Vacuum Hose <LI class=style7>3/16" T-Fitting <LI class=style7>10' USB COM Cable <LI class=style7>4 - 4" Zip Ties
  • Instruction Manual
RECOMMENDED PARTS

30-4100 AEM Wideband UEGO Gauge-Type Controller
30-4350 TRU-BOOST Gauge-Type Boost Controller

KEY FEATURES

<TABLE class=KeyFeaturesDetail cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>Works with latest OBD-II vehicles including variable valve control</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>VTEC controller based on Engine RPM and Load</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>Six (6) injector inputs with simulated injector load used when remapping OEM injectors</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>Six (6) fuel injector controllers for either remapping of ECU output (+/- 100% trim) or as a stand-alone extra injector driver</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>21x17 maps with configurable load and RPM breakpoints</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>Analog in / out for remapping / clamping MAF</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>F/IC draws power from PC USB interface for quick and easy calibration changes</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>64kb on-board data logger</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>Drives high impedence injectors or low impedence injectors with use of Peak & Hold Injector Driver Box</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>Three (3) channels of timing retard</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>Supports MAG or HALL sensor types</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>On board 41PSIA (approx. 25PSI boost) manifold pressure sensor</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
dot_13x13.gif
</TD><TD>Windows-based Tuning Software</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Click on a product name to get additional details or to purchase.

<TABLE id=ctl00_phBody_psrchMain_dgProducts style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 rules=rows border=1><TBODY><TR class=font7 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e0e0e0; TEXT-DECORATION: none" align=left><TD> </TD><TD>Product Description</TD><TD>Part #</TD><TD align=right>Price</TD></TR><TR class=font7 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #eeeeee; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #eeeeee; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: dotted; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #eeeeee; FONT-STYLE: normal; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: dotted; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #eeeeee; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: dotted"><TD align=left colSpan=6>Fuel / Ignition Controller</TD></TR><TR class=font7 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #eeeeee; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #eeeeee; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: dotted; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #eeeeee; FONT-STYLE: normal; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: dotted; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: dotted; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #eeeeee; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: dotted"><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top>AEM Fuel / Ignition Controller (F/IC)
</TD><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" vAlign=top>30-1910 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>$464.10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"

Anyone familiar with this system?

Jeff@Tri-Point said:
separator.gif
We are currently working with this system on Nicoles Mazda 3. You might see this offered in our Mazda 3 turbo kit when it comes out.

If you look at that info, it has already been tested and validated for the Mazda 3. Really, I'm just interested in using it on an MSP. However, I doubt that the computer system is much different. I wonder if they were testing it on the 2.0l or the 2.3l?

dirtysouth_msp said:
If you look at that info, it has already been tested and validated for the Mazda 3. Really, I'm just interested in using it on an MSP. However, I doubt that the computer system is much different. I wonder if they were testing it on the 2.0l or the 2.3l?

I was going to try this on my msp but it doesn't advance timing...

dirtysouth_msp said:
Advance timing? Please elaborate why you want to advance it.

simply put:

More power for starters.... You can also advance the timing in areas of certain areas of your map to get the turbo spooling quicker (along with running 13:1 until ~about 1psi)

yashart_mp3 said:
simply put:

More power for starters.... You can also advance the timing in areas of certain areas of your map to get the turbo spooling quicker (along with running 13:1 until ~about 1psi)

Yeah, that's what I figured. I guess that kind of sucks, but I would not expect timing advancement capabilities at that price. At least you can retard timing for higher boost etc. It does have adjustable injector pulse width though and it has a built in voltage clamp for the MAF, so those are definitely a plus. If we could get them to make a P&P harness that would be great. Eventough there is no timing advancement. It may be a alternative to Unichip for those still needing to pass OBD2 emissions testing.

I'd be very surprised if this thing really isn't capable of advancing the timing. The Greddy E-manage sells for ~ $280 and is capable of advancing the timing. I'm sure this was created to compete directly with it. The e-manage also has a built in MAF clamp.

If I weren't ditching the protege project, I would pick it up and give it a try.

Unichip interferes with OBD2 emissions testing?

Hadn't heard this, and its rather important to my maryland residing ass.

Neither Unichip, nor this AEM will not interfere with OBD2 testing. However, Unichip is not end user programmable (unless your an authorized unichip tuner) and the AEM is. This AEM unit would be considered a piggyback in that it still uses the stock computer.
I'm not sure about E-Manage. Does anyone know if E-Manage retains the OBD2 interface?

yashart_mp3 said:
yuppers, I run the e-manage now. OBD2 compliant

OK, did not know that. I may have to switch it and try E-manage or this AEM if my Unichip tuning does not work out.

Back