Adding a 360 camera system to a 2018 GT?

:
Austin, TX
:
Volvo XC90, C70
So I'm in the market for a CX-5. I've had a number of cars now with the 360/wrap-around camera built-in and love it for parking downtown. Highly considering the 2018 GT, since it's the top tier of that model year, but the 360 camera was introduced in the 2019 model. I've seen aftermarket systems for installing the 4 cameras (one nose, two side mirrors, one tail) that effectively shows up as a video component input for a head unit. I can't seem to make heads or tails of the 2018 HCU to tell if that would be possible. Let alone if something like a 2019 HCU could be swapped into a 2018.

Just a bit hard for me to make the jump from ~$20K for the 2018 that does just about everything I want to a ~$26-30K 2019-20 GTR/GTS

Any thoughts?

I also really valued having a 360 degree view and in Canada, this wasn't available on any of the 2019 trims (even Signature). So I just waited for the 2020 model year, and Mazda Canada now does have the 360 degree view, but only in the Signature.

it is possible to retrofit, but I wouldn't do it. After-market install will never be as good as factory. Not only do they need to add cameras, but the other worry is integrating with the monitor. I'd be concerned it would cause problems in the future and would likely void your warranty on areas impacted.. You have to pay for the aftermarket system and the install which cuts into the price difference. If the 360 degree is really important to you, are you able to just wait until later in the year, when more used 2019 models are available and are priced as two year old used.

Not many have done it, but it is possible - quite a bit of work:.

Hi @dbhagenatx, did you ever get to install the aftermarket bird-eye view 360 cameras? I am looking for the same thing for my 2014 CX05 GT. The vehicle is in excellent conditions and it will probably last me 15 more years, not really interested in buying a new CX-5 just for the 360 camera system. Looking for recommendations, there are tons of these cameras in the market and also looking for some shop that will install it. Thank you!

Back