acceleration rattle, is it the infamous VTCS screw?

meGrimlock

forever waiting
Contributor
:
DC
:
03 Protege ES
since the 1st day i've owned the protege its made this rattle under lower rpm acceleration. any temp, any time, any oil, any gas, any season. i've learned to ignore it cuz it only lasts 1-2 seconds.

now it wont go away until i lift my foot off the gas pedal. its the same constant, even rattle as before, does not change with speed or revs. does not rattle when idle or when revving in neutral, so it was hard for me to pinpoint where it occurs. it only occurs at low rpms, i'd say below 3000 rpm.

this started to occur today when i tried to drive around a benz (that stopped on a green because it finally decided it was in the wrong lane). i didnt drop down a gear, just gave it a little more gas as i pulled to the left to go around. during this time the rattle came about and never went away until i lifted off.

could this be the vtcs screw rattle? my VIN is not in the recall list. no CEL or hesitation in acceleration, just the noise. thanks

nevermind, after a good nights rest, the car is not making the prolonged rattle noise. it is back to making its usual 1-2 second rattling. yet to find anybody on youtube with a vtcs screw sound, any ideas on what to look for?

Back