AC cool but not cold (2018 CX-9)

Like Rowlands said. It is not a recall, just a tool to help workshop diagnose common issues. When a large amount of workshop diagnose the same problem, then a TSB is created to make all the dealer aware so that they can save time on troubleshooting.

If the car is still under warranty, you can use these TSBs to detect problem early.

Also, the TSB often details the repair procedures, so you can use that to your advantage if you want to do the work yourself. They are designed for workshops though, so you usually need the service manual in conjunction with the TSB to do it. Luckily you now have both :)

I called up my local Mazda dealer. They basically told me it's not covered and to fit the bill myself. I brought up that I had ongoing AC issues in the past. He went through my notes quickly and said he didn't see any.

I mentioned the issue in the TSB is exactly what I've noticed, even in the same place and corrosion happens over time etc. He indicated it's now outside of warranty (had warranty during the winter, but I'm not checking AC use at that time) and they won't consider anything else.

I ordered the part and will just fix it myself.

I called up my local Mazda dealer. They basically told me it's not covered and to fit the bill myself. I brought up that I had ongoing AC issues in the past. He went through my notes quickly and said he didn't see any.

I mentioned the issue in the TSB is exactly what I've noticed, even in the same place and corrosion happens over time etc. He indicated it's now outside of warranty (had warranty during the winter, but I'm not checking AC use at that time) and they won't consider anything else.

I ordered the part and will just fix it myself.
Typical assholes. Lame excuse for a person unwilling to do anything to remotely help. G-D this country is doomed.

Typical assholes. Lame excuse for a person unwilling to do anything to remotely help. G-D this country is doomed.
Well, the reason I'd likely never buy it recommend a Mazda isn't BC of the car itself, but the many overly cocky service people at dealerships.
He actually told me straight up to go back to the dealer I bought it from. I explained I had moved to 'this area' (75 kms away) and it's more convenient for me to bring it to you. Not that I really needed to explain at this point, but it shows.

At the end if the day, it's not covered under warranty, yet. I'm sure the TSB may eventually turn into a recall when they get threatened with a claim. Until then, my back needs to be cooled off. So I'll just get my tool box ready.

I've realized, the car is only as good as the people willing to back them. Gas, grass or ass, ain't nothing for free.

Unfortunately this is true for any brand, I had three Ford dealerships in my city refused to do a TSB work on the transmission while under warranty. Was away for work in a town two hour away, and they did the work no questions asked.

But it is a valid reason to pick and choose brand nonetheless. Too bad car manufacturers haven’t figured that out yet.

Unfortunately this is true for any brand, I had three Ford dealerships in my city refused to do a TSB work on the transmission while under warranty. Was away for work in a town two hour away, and they did the work no questions asked.

But it is a valid reason to pick and choose brand nonetheless. Too bad car manufacturers haven’t figured that out yet.
Yup. Corporate executives are dead from the neck up

I just replaced the condenser and refilled with 12a from princess auto... Blowing really cold now!!
It really was not a difficult install. The documents youri linked helped a bit, it didn't actually have our North American specd vehicle, but I was able to follow it as a guide. The fan comes out in one assembly, followed by the condenser and radiator attached together. The wire harness was a pain navigating around but very doable.

I ended up cleaning out the radiator, it was filthy!

I'll post pictures soon.

If anyone loses AC on a CX5 or CX9, start with inserting the UV and head straight to the condenser with a light. Willing to bet it's that

Sorry for the late on this.
I'll try to keep this simple. It's an easy fix, do it yourself!!
I used 12a with UV dye and found the leak. You can clearly see it's on the middle and passenger side corrosion...

1000031111.jpg

The dealer has a TSB for their techs to find it easily, but they won't honour any work whatsoever, even though I reported poor performing AC when under warranty.
The middle nipple will have to be removed after you drain the radiator. It's an easy twist style knob (on the driver side)that will allow easy drainage.

1000031110.jpg

The red line is the wiring harness that can be loosened by pinching the clips behind the metal it's affixed on. Take your time, be patient. Follow it along and you'll get it out.
The green hose attached to the radiator will have to be removed. Note, just two hoses will need to be removed, can that green one and one at the bottom in the middle.
You can remove the radiator reservoir, it's just held on by clips. I used a flat head to wedge it and it came out without breaking, I think there are two or three clips.

You'll have to move the metal clip on the hose side to the engine in order to rotate the hose out of the way in order to pull the radiator out. (Trust me, it's worth it!, just about 90 degrees or so, don't remove it)

There are four screws holding the fan assembly onto the radiator, depicted by the purple dots. Two on this side, and two symmetrically on the other. I think it was a 10. At this point, you'll see a connection clip on the driver side of the fan assembly, remove this by carefully wedging a flat head.

The yellow will come next.
This is just two tabs you need to press down and it'll come right out. The star looking knob sits on top the radiator and the clip keeps it snug on the top.

1000030566.jpg

The fan assembly will come out first, then the radiator and condenser together. It's going to awkward but you can it out on one go. Careful not to rest the fins on anything.

1000030580.jpg

1000030579.jpg

In these two pictures, you can see where the radiator and condenser sits, with the condenser sitting in front. The bottom has two nipples that sit on the edges inside the rubber boot looking thing.

1000030576.jpg

On the passenger side of the condenser, you'll see two aluminum lines. It's a number ten. Note, it could be under pressure... If you have a leak, it's likely not pressurized. You'll know by pressing the pin on the low pressure line very quickly. If you hear a hiss, you likely don't have a leak and it's probably another issue.
Also, many provinces and states require the collection of this gas.

1000030575.jpg

Here is the radiator, all dirty. I had a condenser cleaner I used for my home AC, and I sprayed it on using a dollar store bottle spray. Washed it with my hose on medium setting, it looked like new.

Just reverse the order putting it all back.
You'll have to burp your system to ensure the coolant is flowing properly. Do a search on yt for this. Failing to circulate will result in overheating!!
I hope that's everything. I assume no responsibility if you choose to do this.

Good luck!🙏🏽

Awesome, great write up. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Thanks. I think it was $180 CAD from Rock auto and a bit of elbow grease.

I'm thinking this thread will get popular real soon with those folks living in a high corrosion area.

Back