ABS/TCS lights on after wheel swap?

NOsquid

So I had a new set of wheels/tires mounted today and I soon noticed the ABS and TCS lights were on. I've driven about 30 miles now and they're still on. The ABS definitely isn't working, I tested it and left some long darkies (no)

Is this normal after a wheel swap? Is it supposed to go away on its own?

Is there an easy reset like disconnecting the battery or pumping the brake with the key in the ignition?

Or did the folks at the tire place mess up one of the sensors?

I did not install TPMS in the new wheels, so that light is obviously on. Are the systems related? I didn't think they were.

They are related which is why your instrument cluster is lit up like a christmas tree. You might want to throw some sensors in those wheels.

And if you have sensors installed on your new wheels, either from your other wheels or new sensors... please make sure whoever installs the sensors balances your wheels again with the sensors installed or else you will have some crazy wheel vibration

I am going to try to figure this out tomorrow.

Interestingly, forum member elfhearse (who also had 6UL's installed without TPMS) tells me he didn't have this issue. I'm hoping it's not related so I don't have to pay for another set of sensors and another mount/balance. I always thought the ABS sensors were usually in the wheel hub or something.

TPMS shouldn't be setting off TCS/ABS lights. I'd look to see if you have any loose connections at the hub, as that's where I assume all that stuff is monitored from.

FWIW, the TPMS units are mounted in each wheel at the base of the tire valve. If you still have the original wheels/tires throw them into the back of the car, drive a few miles, and see what happens to the lights on the dash.

I'd take the wheels off to see if the new wheels didn't damage the wires going to the TCS/ABS speed sensors mounted in the hubs. The wires to those sensors run down the sides of the struts and can be close to the wheels.

John

I'd take the wheels off to see if the new wheels didn't damage the wires going to the TCS/ABS speed sensors mounted in the hubs. The wires to those sensors run down the sides of the struts and can be close to the wheels.

You were right :) One of the front ABS sensor wires is chewed up pretty bad, most likely that is the problem.

Arg!

Just cut and solder. Add some new wire if needed. Heat shrink tubing of various diameters helps out.

Been there. Screwed it up, too. <LOL> No T-shirt though...........

John

Back