About to pull the trigger on the CX-5 but worried about issues

I spent a lot of time test driving compact crossovers before buying the Mazda. Both my wife and I were unable to perceive any difference in road noise from the others. If anything some of that is most likely the OEM Yokohama tires that are not the quietest I've owned.

The biggest issue for me was the styling, the CX-5 is simply a great looking car. As for function, the CX-5 drives much nicer, not soft and floating like the others and the steering is precise. Power is very good and the fuel mileage is top in the class. Add to it the safety features in the tech package like blind spot monitoring, smart city brake support, headlights that turn and the excellent crash tests and it's a hard car to pass up. Just about every online review ranks the CX-5 first or second.

We felt the RAV 4 was a close second, mainly due to the larger feel inside the car, reclining back seats and more cargo space. The infotainment seemed better as well and has apps which the CX-5 does not. But the Toyota in my opinion lacked style and several of the important safety features. The CRV is also a nice car, we own an Accord which has been perfect for 200,000 miles. However I just can't get by the fact just about every CRV I pass is being driven by an old woman.....:) The rest were not even contenders in our book.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies so far. I do plan on giving it a test drive but was thinking of doing it the day that we were planning to purchase it. Since my wife and I had pretty much narrowed it down to the CX-5, we figured we'd go in, give it a test drive and check everything out and if all goes well, we just move one with the negotiations. Also, I haven't test driven a car in years and never on a highway so I wasn't even sure they would allow you to get on the highway. Don't they have a predetermined route?

Just wanted to get a general feel from some people who have already dealt with it.

Thanks for the replies so far. I do plan on giving it a test drive but was thinking of doing it the day that we were planning to purchase it. Since my wife and I had pretty much narrowed it down to the CX-5, we figured we'd go in, give it a test drive and check everything out and if all goes well, we just move one with the negotiations. Also, I haven't test driven a car in years and never on a highway so I wasn't even sure they would allow you to get on the highway. Don't they have a predetermined route?

Just wanted to get a general feel from some people who have already dealt with it.

whenever i test drive a vehicle, and i test drive a lot, i tell them the types of roads i want to go on. i usually drive it for a half hour over flat, curvy, hilly and interstate roads. remember, YOU are the customer.

Our local Mazda dealer was not even in the vehicle when we test drove one. He just gave us the keys and told us to take our time.

After 2 months of researching the crossover line-up, reading up on the reviews then going to the dealers to look at the models we finished up with a drive em' all in one day approach. We have a huge auto center by us that has every car manufacturer represented, you can literally walk from dealer to dealer. That allowed us to test drive every car on the same route (which included freeway driving) within hours so it was easier to compare. We also went over all the features and kept a "pro" "con" list to review later. My wife even took a photo of each car with her phone. It would be hard to remember the feel of a car if you had some time pass between test drives. A key element is to always drive the car in the same trim level and options, the salesmen want to push you into higher-end models for the test drive, don't fall for that. I might also suggest going on the last day of the month as dealers always seem more motivated to negotiate.

Good luck!

... I haven't test driven a car in years and never on a highway so I wasn't even sure they would allow you to get on the highway. Don't they have a predetermined route?
They usually do have some kind of predetermined route, but usually only because most customers have no idea where they should drive it to. If you go in there and say that you require being able to test drive it in condition X, Y, and Z -- they should be able to accommodate you. If they don't, DO NOT BUY FROM THAT PERSON. If the sales person blames the sales manager, then talk to the sales manager. If the manager blames the dealership owner, then just go to a different dealership.

I usually go into a dealership and explain that I need to drive in 3 specific conditions:

1. sharp incline (which is common in Western PA.) There are some cars that really struggle with climbing hills, and you really don't want to find out AFTER you've paid for it.

2. stop/go traffic with turns. I use this to evaluate stopping ability, acceleration, feel on turns, visibility in traffic, etc.

3. highway (must be multi-lane.) Evaluate acceleration, ability to pass, road noise, etc. Also usually reveals any odd "high speed" behavior. (I usually speed doing this part of a test drive.)

I've _never_ had a sales person tell me "no." (It's possible that the sales person doesn't know where to find the various conditions you are seeking, but will be willing to ask around the other sales people.)

Our local Mazda dealer was not even in the vehicle when we test drove one. He just gave us the keys and told us to take our time.

Yes, that's what my Lexus dealership does with both new and used cars that I want to drive. They give me the keys and walk away.

Cochran held my 2008 Impreza as collateral and gave me the keys to my 2012 Terrain. When I returned the next day, I was ready to sign the papers.

Back