A question on wheel size

HubbaHub

:
Mazda 2 Tamura
Are any of you guy/gals cruising on 17" wheels, if so what are they like to drive on and do you get any problems?

and pics would be cool too!

HubbaHub

Most don't go above 16". The stock rotors seems to be very tiny with 17" wheels, but that's me.

The ride should be harder since you got to put on low profile tires.

i would highly recommend not going over 15", any extra weight to the wheels makes a huge difference in your car. With 17's you would have a much harder time starting from a stop, and would be trading clutch wear for those tires if you drive a manual. The rims aren't the only weight gain either, commonly overlooked but tires weigh a ton. The stock setup is 16 pounds for the steelie, and 16 pounds for the tire(which is actually decently light for a 15" tire). Big wheels are a market trend currently, not an upgrade. Ideally you only need a wheel big enough to pass the weight load at each corner.

Joe from Dynotronics is running a 17 inch wheel on his test mule... It looks awesome but he said the ride was rougher... I agree with these guys just go with a 15 or a 16!

was just wondering because the wheels I am looking to get only come in 15" or 17" (kei Force 10s) but i'm currently on 16s with the standard pre facelift tamura wheels but i have also been looking at some ROTA Grid Drifts that do come in 16s those in gunmetal and 40mm drop should look SWEET!

I run 17" they do give more road feedback & make the stock car slower feeling, with the corksport SRI & 2" stainless exhaust the performance feels like its back up above stock, the standard 15" s that mine has, when there on they make the car like a go kart with the SRI & pipe......

I daily drive on 14" wheels. They are 2lbs a corner lighter than stock. I am weird though.

If you want road feedback the tire choice makes a big difference as well you don't need large wheels to make it happen.

I have not had to make this decision as I have no money for new wheels, but I do keep oscillating between 15" or 17". I suppose there is probably a 16" wheel out there somewhere that I would like, but I just haven't found it yet. I'll probably end up going with the 15" Konig Lightspeeds, though. Cheaper wheels, cheaper tires, and probably smarter in the long run. Just really hard not to like the big wheel look.

I have not had to make this decision as I have no money for new wheels, but I do keep oscillating between 15" or 17". I suppose there is probably a 16" wheel out there somewhere that I would like, but I just haven't found it yet. I'll probably end up going with the 15" Konig Lightspeeds, though. Cheaper wheels, cheaper tires, and probably smarter in the long run. Just really hard not to like the big wheel look.

I agree with you there, the larger wheels do look good on the 2.

-Derrick

I love my 15's...!6's look good too but depending on the rim style it can over power the car so easily. With my H&R's and the 15's I have a but more wheel gap than I like so I just figured I'd lower my car more.

Back