5 year old 13B

ROTARY <3

Hey guys, I have never owned a rotary before and I am planning on buying an FC series 4 RX7. The motor is a 13B na carby, but it has not been run in 5 years. I Understand because of this the apex seals and springs will probably need replacing. Is there anything else i should watch out for? and what would be the worst case scenario? no compression? and how hard will it be to get the thing running right? Thanks :)
Myles.

I would be wary, as the na s4 should be fuel inject, not carb.
If the motor was stored correctly the seals should be ok, but most likely will be stuck. Take out the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand to see if it turns freely. Do Not force it!!! If it don't turn by hand forget it, unless you have a few grand for a rebuild.
Look for rust around the rear hatch, bottom of doors, sills etc....
Another good option is to take it to a good rotary workshop and ask them to look over it and compression test, if it starts and runs easily both hot and cold this is a good sign. Also make sure it pulls hard thoughout the rev range.

Thanks for that, only problem is, it's a rolling shell, and the motor is out of another car(was originally a turbo 13b) so I cant drive it, what does it mean if I can't crank it over By hand? Rotors are stuffed? Thanks.
Myles

I would be wary, as the na s4 should be fuel inject, not carb.
If the motor was stored correctly the seals should be ok, but most likely will be stuck. Take out the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand to see if it turns freely. Do Not force it!!! If it don't turn by hand forget it, unless you have a few grand for a rebuild.
Look for rust around the rear hatch, bottom of doors, sills etc....
Another good option is to take it to a good rotary workshop and ask them to look over it and compression test, if it starts and runs easily both hot and cold this is a good sign. Also make sure it pulls hard thoughout the rev range.

Last edited:
If can't be turned by hand, either it has dropped an apex seal and is jammed between rotor and housing or is carboned / rusted up from incorrect storage. Has the motor been stored with the intake and exhaust ports blocked?

Im not sure, but if its only the apex seals, it wont be that hard to fix would it? and if its carboned up, cant you run some sort of cleaner through the engine like seafoam? Thanks.
Myles.

Back