4k mile updates

manualist

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport 6MT - Metropolitan Gray
I hit 4k today, after barely 2 months owning this awesome car. Still love driving it as day one. Here are some more observations about the goodness and not-so-goodness. Us Mazda5 drivers already know all this, but since this forum is probably the most useful place for researching Mazda vehicles, hopefully it'll help people considering the 5.

First up, what I think could use improvements:
- Gear ratios. The gap between 1st and 2nd gears is now obvious to me after all those driving - it's huge. In 1st I'd rev it close to 4k rpm, then grab 2nd and see the needle drop to 2k, completely out of power band. On the other hand 4th, 5th, and 6th are very close together. Shorter 2nd to 4th gears would probably make accelerating easier. Either that or give me more torque, a lot more torque. SkyActiv-D please.
- Clutch pedal travel is rather long, and the engaging point is higher off the floor that I'd prefer.

Now the good stuff:
- Handling. It's awesomely natural. The car seems to always agree with me, not fighting back. I'm sure there's a limit to what it can do, but it doesn't lose its cool getting there. At highway speed the car feels very stable and focused with tight and precise steering feel. It'll take potholes and bumps with little fuss and get right back to what it does - obeying my command :D And that what makes it so enjoyable.
- Mileage. My best is 30mpg and worst is 26mpg so far. Beats my expectation.
- Interior ergonomics. Everything is exactly what you would expect and nothing more. Three round HVAC controls are perfect - look clean and functioning logically. Steering wheel volume switch, instead of buttons, is genious. And it's easy to find good driving position, something I just couldn't do during my 4 years owning the 07 Odyssey.

I'm keeping an eye on the tires, but so far no irregular wear. Knock on rubber :) Hope everyone's having a great holiday season.

Nice, I just hit over 4K also. I love it too. Can't complain, it's definitely one of better cars that I've owned in many years. Not pleased with certain things like audio which I am currently upgrading and finally sounding like way I like. Also, was running a wire underneath passenger seat last night and it looked like one of the passenger side seat bolt was stripped from the factory, not happy. But overall, it is so comfortable yet poised. I took her up to 90MPH for the first time since new. RPM reached around 4.5K but it bested a new Chrysler Grand Cherokee. Also last night, from a stop sign, a lady in an old Lincoln tried to cut me off by speeding on the left lane on front of me but the M5 would not. Awesome pickup this car has. I am very pleased. Best mileage I got on highway.. 32.4. Combined, upper 27's.. beats all expectations.
I hit 4k today, after barely 2 months owning this awesome car. Still love driving it as day one. Here are some more observations about the goodness and not-so-goodness. Us Mazda5 drivers already know all this, but since this forum is probably the most useful place for researching Mazda vehicles, hopefully it'll help people considering the 5.

First up, what I think could use improvements:
- Gear ratios. The gap between 1st and 2nd gears is now obvious to me after all those driving - it's huge. In 1st I'd rev it close to 4k rpm, then grab 2nd and see the needle drop to 2k, completely out of power band. On the other hand 4th, 5th, and 6th are very close together. Shorter 2nd to 4th gears would probably make accelerating easier. Either that or give me more torque, a lot more torque. SkyActiv-D please.
- Clutch pedal travel is rather long, and the engaging point is higher off the floor that I'd prefer.

Now the good stuff:
- Handling. It's awesomely natural. The car seems to always agree with me, not fighting back. I'm sure there's a limit to what it can do, but it doesn't lose its cool getting there. At highway speed the car feels very stable and focused with tight and precise steering feel. It'll take potholes and bumps with little fuss and get right back to what it does - obeying my command :D And that what makes it so enjoyable.
- Mileage. My best is 30mpg and worst is 26mpg so far. Beats my expectation.
- Interior ergonomics. Everything is exactly what you would expect and nothing more. Three round HVAC controls are perfect - look clean and functioning logically. Steering wheel volume switch, instead of buttons, is genious. And it's easy to find good driving position, something I just couldn't do during my 4 years owning the 07 Odyssey.

I'm keeping an eye on the tires, but so far no irregular wear. Knock on rubber :) Hope everyone's having a great holiday season.

Last edited:
I hit 4k today, after barely 2 months owning this awesome car.

We're about the same mileage after the 1700 mile round trip to NJ for thanksgiving.

My biggest gripe: when driving in the rain, at the 'top of it's arc', the passenger wiper stops directly in the center of my field of view.
Got quite annoying after an hour driving in the rain coming home. It's such a short wiper almost don't even need it.
Too bad they didn't stick with the opposing sweep style of wipers like the old MPV had.

I haven't noticed any problem with the 1-2 gear ratios. If you're trying to keep it in the 'powerband' i.e. on it, why are you shifting at 4k? Redline is 6k or 6500 isn't it? Wind her out a bit!
For relaxed, normal driving I find the 2.5 to have plenty of torque to pull from 2k in lower gears.

I did not noticed that at all, probably because I'm shorter? Yes, that passgenger side wiper is kind of short. Mazda should have put in one arm wiper that retracts as it sweeps the top like the ones on the MB. I had a C230 Kompressor before and it was cool looking at it. I decided to drill that almighty hole for the Scangauge wire and ran in underneath the center console trim. Now no cable's showing which looks cleaner than it was when it was running to the side.
My biggest gripe: when driving in the rain, at the 'top of it's arc', the passenger wiper stops directly in the center of my field of view.

I hit 3000 this morning, bought it the 11th of november. Shift points are awkward, I never use 5th. My best mileage is 27.9 and worst is 25.8. Clutch engagement is high as mentioned but it really is a fun car to drive. I still haven't seen another one driving, which will probably change soon.

when driving in the rain, at the 'top of it's arc', the passenger wiper stops directly in the center of my field of view.
I never notice it, but now I'll have a hard time not to whenever it rains :D Maybe I'll just shift more to keep me distracted. You're right about the 6k rev. I've never gone there though, need to try sometime. Another thing with high rev is that the heavy flywheel keeps it smooth, but then the rev hangs too long.

I took her up to 90MPH for the first time since new. RPM reached around 4.5K but it bested a new Chrysler Grand Cherokee. Also last night, from a stop sign, a lady in an old Lincoln tried to cut me off by speeding on the left lane on front of me but the M5 would not.
I could hang with fast traffic without any problem - Mazda's ponies are better than others I guess, despite having only 157 of them :) Trucks and vans often can't keep up with my little 5 in curves. But they see sliding doors, they don't give you any respect. Jerks try to cut me off all the time.

Back