40 mpg. What is the trick?

SubCompactor

:
mazda 2 touring
I haven't posted in a while but felt the need to after my recent 3 fuel ups. My 2 in the touring edition 5 speed and 37-38 mpg was the best the little car has done on the highway. If the posted speed on the highway is 75 it has to be almost mathematically impossible for the 2 to get 40-40+ mpg. Now if the car is doing a constant 55-60 mph ( which is where the engines "sweet spot" is), I could perhaps see getting 40+ mpg. But the problem is your going to get ran up on by the drivers going 70+ mph. Also, I do not use the 2's computer to compute my gas mileage figures since it is typically a little off by 1-2 mpg.

So I was just wondering what the trick is to see 40 or more mpg with this car? Thanks!

You're in Texas so it's not gonna happen? :D

Aerodynamics! Seal up your gaps, smooth out the bottom, draft like hell. If I can hit 31mpg in my 5 averaging 80mph from Austin to Dallas with a full load of cargo, you should be able to make your 40 in the 2.

I average 38 on the highway (60-65 mph). I don't have any engine mods. But I am really low. If I had a skid plate and an intake I could easily get 40.

Honestly, its easier for me to hit 40 mpg around town. The gearing on the tranny makes it hard to get high MPGS on the highway at speed. I think my best for 95% highway driving was 38mpg average. The only two times I have hit 40 mpg was with driving 90% back roads with speed limits 55 or less.

Speed. IIRC 'highway' MPG is measured at 55mph, with our gearing you will never get 40 unless you get close to that number. If you need to do 70 you have three options to maximize fuel economy 1) Intake, Skid plate, Exhaust, lowering springs, 2) 1 + engine and transmission swap with something more practical 3) buy a car made for highway crusing.

I get around 32mpg on a short highway commute gong ~58mph the whole time. If your commute is longer than you have a higher chance of higher milage, but on my commute (~9 miles with 85% highway) the numbers aren't going to work out to get a higher mpg. Whereas a person commuting 30 miles a day may have a higher mpg because they will hit the sweet spot for a longer period of time, working towards their avg. but yeah.... 65+ mph won't help you much.

Speed. IIRC 'highway' MPG is measured at 55mph, with our gearing you will never get 40 unless you get close to that number. If you need to do 70 you have three options to maximize fuel economy 1) Intake, Skid plate, Exhaust, lowering springs, 2) 1 + engine and transmission swap with something more practical 3) buy a car made for highway crusing.

Thank you for the sensible reply! I was in part confused with seeing so many 40+ tank fulls on Fuelly.com. I wonder whether those are moded out cars ( I doubt it) or areas of town where the limits are 55mph. Or miscalculations. I'm not about to modify the car but was trying to accomplish what so many apparently say they are getting on the Fuelly website.

I'm one of the 40MPG drivers, but yeah, that's from going 55 on the freeway. On longer trips where I'm doing 65-70 I'll get maybe 35-36MPG.

I'm one of the 40MPG drivers, but yeah, that's from going 55 on the freeway. On longer trips where I'm doing 65-70 I'll get maybe 35-36MPG.

And I thought you were one of them. I didn't mention that most of that trip was using A/C 85% of the time. So 37mpg doing that intakeless and skip plateless ain't too shabby! Besides those add-ons would sure void the warranty. And that alone has more value then the extra 2-3 mpg in(rockon) fuel savings.

Drive slow homie.

Word↑↑↑

I get 30-33..0 highway driving to work like I play gran turismo with stop lights. My commute is constant stop then floor it..twisties..pass a few peeps.. then get stuck behind a slow driver.. then floor it when there's a gap. I did not that the best way to boost up mpg numbers is to accelerate very softly and slowly.. then barely give it gas when u reach your desired speed ( very gentle on the throttle).

numbers are difficult subcompactor don't get discouraged, there's no consistency in just numbers. There are a huge number of factors that effect your MPG on the highway. Even without mods the factors you need to consider are wind, the number of cars around you, your tires and your ability to maintain throttle dead on. When i drive home from school i always get a "perfect scenario". the flow of traffic is moving at 70mph, there are a wall of cars at all sides of me to deflect air, the ambient wind is pushing me from behind, not fighting me in front, and there is only one slight incline. My numbers are obviously much higher moving in that situation than going against the wind, with no air deflection, and lots of hills. In that "perfect scenario" commute, at 70mph, i think ~3250 rpm, i should be getting around 50-55mpg constant depending on any number of factors. something as little as moving in the opposite direction on that same freeway would leave me at ~44 if i tried to maintain 70mph.

As far as mods go, i will say the mazda2 responded incredibly well to lowering, and i would say it's due to the horribly un-aerodynamic underbelly, mostly under the engine. Lowering a car encourages more air to move over it instead of under it, where it will cause loads of drag. From what i can tell the mazda2 is a great platform for fuel economy, the coefficient of drag is actually quite low. I have a prototype underbelly tray i was working on in the past in the garage, i need to get that back on and continue to do some more testing. Also pump up those tires, if you can handle slightly harsher road feel, go 50psi cold all around, but anything over the oem recommendation will help. I will say though, high pressure is a disadvantage if you ever need gravel or dirt traction, especially on a hill. Do not carry extra weight, don't use your truck as a storage compartment for your bowling and golf equipment when you only need them 1 day a week.

I wouldn't recommend trying to go lower than the speed limit on a 70mph freeway, especially if that means you'll be following trucks. A truck destroyed my oem windshield with 1 rock, and my second windshield has already taken 3 hits, something about our windshield attracts rocks. a $300 windshield expense won't make up for any short term savings in fuel economy. Continue what you do, but try to be consistent, if you have no way of monitoring throttle percentage i would recommend an ultraguage, they are very cheap and theoretically pay for themselves in the long run. On my ultraguage i track: Instant MPG, RPM, engine temperature(in actual degrees, which our car doesn't do), short trip MPG(average mpg since car was turned on last), throttle percentage, long trip mpg(average mpg of the car since i bought it) and loop status(closed/open).

If you do get an ultraguage, the sweet spot is 35.7% throttle, i really don't know what that number correlates to, as idling is 31%, and matted is ~62% iirc(i don't floor it too often!), but i try to never go over 40% unless its required, but for mainting speed on the highway, 35.7 is the way to go, 35.3 is slightly more efficient but it loses speed eventually, 35.7 maintains speed much easier and is still in the efficiency zone. This isn't always possible, when I'm going north and fighting the wind it usually requires at least 38% throttle to maintain 65mph.

Back