3M paint protection for hood, front bumper, etc.

damaster

Zoom Zoomin'
:
2011 CX-9 GT
I'm considering getting the 3M paint protection for the hood, front bumper, headlights, etc. on my '11 CX-9 GT. Is it worth it? Does it discolor over time and start looking different than the rest of the paint on the car?

I have had ours on for almost 5 years and I overpaid for mine when it was done and I still think it is worth every penny. We have always garage parked our car and now live in Arizona and it doesn't get much hotter than this. Still not discolored, no chips and still looks great. I was told there is a lifespan with this stuff. I think they told me it will hold for 5-7 years, but still looks like day one for us.

I've had 3M bra on my last few cars. I left Florida for Utah in '07. Up here you need it. Semis throwing up rocks and such. In my Passat, a semi threw up a 2 lb rock. hit the headlight and hood then the windshield. windshield cracked and zero damage to the headlight or paint. A good shop charges $700. to do the whole front including hood and headlights. Make sure they have a plotter to cut the pieces. Worth every penny. I'm getting mine done next weekend.

Dealers get paid a substantial profit by selling you expensive car paint protection systems. The professional installation of 3M paint protection can be expensive. Many car owners wonder whether to do the job on their own.

In my opinion this is not a do it yourself job. I've watched it installed and there is definitely harder than it looks. Plus the pieces are cut on a plotter for precision cuts. If you wanted to spend your time learning how to it, waste a bunch of product in the process and end up with a less than professional outcome, have at it. I'm a do it your self person and pretty good with my hands but this is one job I leave to the professionals.

Also, I wouldn't buy any of the paint or interior protection products from a dealer, the are all money makers. I can spray a can of leather or carpet protection on myself and I know how to wax a car.

Last edited:
Back