30 MPG.... Unicorn or Golden Retreiver?

This looks like a good place for my first post, after all how much trouble can you get in talking about gas mileage? Picked up a 2016 GT about 30 days ago w/490 miles on the clock (no additional charge for the break in) and have been logging miles and talking notes. I parked a 2012 VW Golf TDI (evil polluter model) for this and am very impressed so far. The first tank from the dealer was so-so as I jumped all over the gas pedal. I figured might as well make sure its really broken in and oil tight. Lots of sport mode and full throttle blasts out of town=22.7 mpg. Most of the time and since the first tank I just grandpa around rural Colorado. I live in the country and work a little in town and spend a fair amount of this time of the year running up and down the mountains to the national park to take a few pics of the elk and the colors. I don't city and highway so i guess you could call it town and country? The last 4 tanks (87 octane)= 30.7, measured the old fashioned way. I'm happy with that. I'm not sure what to expect on the interstate @ 75+ but as it doesn't happen often it really not an issue but I would think it would get at least the same? All things considered it does well for a 4 cylinder powered suv that gassed and assed (mine) has to be close to 2 tons. Now if I could just figure out how to change radio channels in less that 3 moves.....fwiw

....mac

You can change channels to your pre-selects with the buttons on the steering wheel.

My MPG has gone up by 2 for some reason. Tire pressure unchanged. Nothing. I just now average 24.5mpg combined instead of 22.5 combined. My driving habits are identical, and my "average speed" is unchanged down to the exact mph. This has gone on for the last 2-3 tanks of gas, re-set each tank.

My MPG has gone up by 2 for some reason. Tire pressure unchanged. Nothing. I just now average 24.5mpg combined instead of 22.5 combined. My driving habits are identical, and my "average speed" is unchanged down to the exact mph. This has gone on for the last 2-3 tanks of gas, re-set each tank.

Cooler weather?

Maybe, but it's only been 60s-90s. It got 22.5mpg even in the 20's last year.

There's a sweet spot (usually around 70) where the engine performs its best. Higher temps = lower density air, lower temps are good but as you go far down the engine takes more time to warm up so that negatively impacts efficiency. Lower humidity is better too.

Got 28.9 as per trip computer for a round trip Red Rocks -> Longmont CO today via 2 lane in rush hour. Still breaking in, so easy on the throttle. Dropped to 28.0 on Freeway return @ 75/65. Not bad even if an MPG high vs measured.

Second fill up. 335 miles, 2/3 freeway 1/3 city. 28.1 mpg. Gauge said 27.0. Just finished kid-glove break-in, so we'll see how it does next tank.

There's a sweet spot (usually around 70) where the engine performs its best. Higher temps = lower density air, lower temps are good but as you go far down the engine takes more time to warm up so that negatively impacts efficiency. Lower humidity is better too.

Yeah, but it didn't do this last time it transitioned through this temperature swing. I am CONSISTENTLY getting 24-24.5mpg combined. It's really nice.

My 2016 just averaged 31 mpg on a 500 mile trip---and that was with a cargo box on the roof. Around town is usually 26 or 27.

I've gotten as high as 31.5 (2016 GT AWD). Generally around 26. Today I drove 600 miles. The first 2/3 involved a couple of passes (mountain) and steady 75 mph in light traffic, netting 27.5. Last third was mostly steady 85 mph and that got me 25.5.

what is everyone basing fuel economy on? I get differing numbers when I hand calculate vs what the car says. My hand calculated numbers are always slightly higher than what the car readout is.

what is everyone basing fuel economy on? I get differing numbers when I hand calculate vs what the car says. My hand calculated numbers are always slightly higher than what the car readout is.

Same here. And it seems several others have noticed similar results. Whenever I post numbers though it's from the cars readout.

I was pretty disappointed with my gas mileage (2016 GT AWD) as I was barely averaging 24 mph in 70-30 highway/city driving. After going over the 7000 mile mark, my gas mileage has improved. My past two "fuelly" entries have been 26 and 26.5. Hopefully, this trend continues!!

I have a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD with 60K miles. A recent move has made me do a 1400 mile east cost trip about 12 times now. I can get 35mpg if I do only 60 mph. I can get close to 32 MPG if I average 70 MPG and will go to 26-28 MPG if I am close to 77-80 mph.

The CX-5 will get great mileage as long as speeds are below 75 MPH.

I have a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD with 60K miles. A recent move has made me do a 1400 mile east cost trip about 12 times now. I can get 35mpg if I do only 60 mph. I can get close to 32 MPG if I average 70 MPG and will go to 26-28 MPG if I am close to 77-80 mph.

The CX-5 will get great mileage as long as speeds are below 75 MPH.

Haha, wow. 12x!? You must not have disliked your old area. When I moved from Shreveport, LA to where I live now, I HAD TO MAKE ONE TRIP. I have been back only once in the nearly 2 years since I left. That was just passing through to another destination.

Haha, wow. 12x!? You must not have disliked your old area. When I moved from Shreveport, LA to where I live now, I HAD TO MAKE ONE TRIP. I have been back only once in the nearly 2 years since I left. That was just passing through to another destination.

Yes, keep having to go back to get stuff and move things. Driving around DC is horrific but I actually get my best milage there.

Back